Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2016, 09:44   #1

Boat: Lagoon, 52
Where to

Our new Lagoon 52 is scheduled to be completed in Mid-March and we are wrestling with where it should be delivered. We live on the west coast but plan on keeping the boat on the east coast. Originally, we had planned to have it delivered to Ft. Lauderdale and keep the boat there for about a year before we head off on a long term cruise of the Caribbean. My wife has recently suggest we have the boat delivered to Annapolis and keep the boat up there for the summer and then have it brought down to Florida for the winter. We will be flying out about every other weekend over the summer and of course our "Summer Vacation" would be on the boat. We have two young children who are excited to adventure with us. I would love any advice as we're new to owning a boat and new to sailing on the east coast.
LagunaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 19:05   #2

Boat: 1980 Tartan 33
Re: Where to

A summer-fall on the Chesapeake would be. A very special treat for West Coast sailors . Plus you are not that far from southern New England.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Jack Lahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 19:19   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

If you have kids aboard and are on the Bay don't miss a trip up the Potomac to Washington, DC

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 19:26   #4

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Consider re-evaluating your winter location, for two reasons. First, some, find the Bahamas or eastern Caribbean to be much more interesting cruising grounds than Ft Lauderdale area; second, Li suggest you look into the significant tax consequences of having the boat winter in Florida.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 14:57   #5

Boat: Lagoon, 52

Thank you for all of the great comments. We didn't realize we could get up the Potamic. That would be really great with the kids! As for the tax consequences in FL I need to look into that. What are you referring to specifically, sales / use tax? Once again, we appreciate the help as we're newbies!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
LagunaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 17:00   #6

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaRed View Post
As for the tax consequences in FL I need to look into that. What are you referring to specifically, sales / use tax?
Any boat sold and/or delivered in Florida is required to pay 6% use tax.

If you document and register your boat somewhere else, then your boat is in Florida for 90+ days, you're still supposed to register it in FL and the tax is due.

I believe that you can get around this if the boat is not in FL for more than 90 days in a row or more than 183 days a year.

When I bought my boat in Florida and registered it in RI, FL required proof that I had left the state.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote