Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2021, 03:33   #1

Boat: Doven 30
When the auto pilot fails

I'm researching what systems can be jury rigged to self-steer a yacht when the auto pilot fails.
Assuming it's a wheel not a tiller used to steer the yacht, can anybody point me in the right direction for suggestions or resources that provide a workable solution for when this happens?
I'm thinking of a 40' yacht, not a trailer-sailer or dinghy btw.
Thanks in advance,
JR
sheepstations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 03:36   #2

Re: When the auto pilot fails

Question is in what situation and for how long.
For some time my autopilot was more out-of-service than working. In most situations, a bungee-cord served me well, if not I had to hand- or foot-steer. If your sails are well trimmed fr the desired course, you can get away with surprisingly little steering.

However, I wouldn't plan a long ocean crossing with just a bungee-cord.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 03:49   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
Question is in what situation and for how long.
For some time my autopilot was more out-of-service than working. In most situations, a bungee-cord served me well, if not I had to hand- or foot-steer. If your sails are well trimmed fr the desired course, you can get away with surprisingly little steering.

However, I wouldn't plan a long ocean crossing with just a bungee-cord.
Thanks for the input. The situation I'm thinking of is actually on a long ocean passage where it becomes impractical to hand steer for days at a time.
Old 10-09-2021, 03:49   #4

Boat: Boatless

We sailed from Majuro to Guam using balanced twin headsails, main and a bungee cord on a fairly long keeled 55 ft boat…about 1,800 nm. with just the two of us onboard. However, it was work with lots of sail trimming and probably impossible on a fin keeled boat. The trip took 16 days.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 04:00   #5

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Wind steering?

Or spares for the AP.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 04:09   #6

practically speaking - you want to carry a backup system or parts - so either (a) essentially a spare AP in parts or (b) a spare installed AP, or (c) an installed windvane. We always had both 'lots of parts' and a windvane to back up the ap.

without the above . . . you (the human crew) are going to be the 'backup'. You balance the sails as well as you can - some boats do this better than others and it is easier in some conditions than others. And you watch the steering and hand correct it as much as your fatigue allow - with 3 people you can in fact fully hand steer 'forever' - it is hard work but it can be done. With 2 people it depends a bit on the people, but there have been couples who have hand steered one on/one off continuously for 10 days.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 04:22   #7

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
When the auto pilot fails
I pulls out the exact same one from the spares locker and 10 minutes later am good to go
Took me a while but got a complete version of the same commercial grade AP for $400
Swapped out mine for it as proof of concept and now our working original is the spare.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 04:26   #8

Thanks for the replies so far but just trying to drag any responses back to the specific questions asked. ie "what systems can be jury rigged to self-steer a yacht when the auto pilot fails".
Old 10-09-2021, 04:29   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
I pulls out the exact same one from the spares locker and 10 minutes later am good to go
Took me a while but got a complete version of the same commercial grade AP for $400
Swapped out mine for it as proof of concept and now our working original is the spare.
Thanks for the input but doesn't really help with my original question. I'm asking about a sailing solution, not a boat maintenance issue.
Old 10-09-2021, 04:44   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepstations View Post
Thanks for the input but doesn't really help with my original question. I'm asking about a sailing solution, not a boat maintenance issue.
You seem to be very set on only one solution to deal with the risk of loss of autopilot. You got already a few answers but none involved a complicated solutions with lines linking the wheel to the sheets via a set of blocks across the cockpit. You can find this kind of setups in sailing books from the 50ies. Perhaps it would be helpful to be interested in how other sailors deal with the risk in real life instead of just seeking validation for your approach.

This is assuming you're trying to solve a real problem you have have and you aren't just trolling for a philosophical discussion about theoretical solutions by arm-chair sailors?
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 05:01   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
You seem to be very set on only one solution to deal with the risk of loss of autopilot. You got already a few answers but none involved a complicated solutions with lines linking the wheel to the sheets via a set of blocks across the cockpit. You can find this kind of setups in sailing books from the 50ies. Perhaps it would be helpful to be interested in how other sailors deal with the risk in real life instead of just seeking validation for your approach.

This is assuming you're trying to solve a real problem you have have and you aren't just trolling for a philosophical discussion about theoretical solutions by arm-chair sailors?
Unbelievable. I've asked a pretty specific question in the hope that there might be some solid suggestions. I don't have to explain why I'm seeking such suggestions. I'll just be glad when I slip my lines, head over the horizon and get away from tripe like you've just dished up. It's a sailing forum for god's sake, not an analysts couch.
Old 10-09-2021, 05:05   #12

Boat: Southern Cross 39

https://theislander.net/the-steersman-a-new-self-steering-gear-for-yachts/
mabowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 05:09   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabowers View Post
https://theislander.net/the-steersman-a-new-self-steering-gear-for-yachts/
Brilliant. Thank you, that's exactly the sort of information I'm after.
Old 10-09-2021, 05:11   #14

I think that jury-rigged is the cogent phrase here. You’d have to work out some system yourself for your boat in your conditions. People have used a twin-headsail system successfully for downwind sailing, and I recall a system using a staysail as the control sail.

http://www.jsward.com/steering/

This might be helpful if you could rig an emergency tiller. Google sheet-to-tiller steering for more ideas.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 06:55   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepstations View Post
Brilliant. Thank you, that's exactly the sort of information I'm after.
That system should do well with the wind forward of the beam but off the wind with a wheel steered system except in mild conditions I doubt you could hold a good course with the amount of turn on the wheel this will give you.

Over the last 40 years of sailing I have read numerous articles about self steering without an AP for wheels but none I have ever seen were useful except for short term and moderate conditions.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote