Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2014, 05:20   #1

Thumbs up What is mandatory to sail

Hello every one. I have a question that I can not find a true answer to. I am a old hand 12+ years in the merchants. I owned a power boat years ago and I am setting to sail again. I am mobility impaired but /my wife and I together can do what needs to be done. My question pertains to certifications. I read the blogs daily for research,to find my new to me boat,and to learn what I will need to or at least put me on the right track. Now with that said. My wife and I plan to sail coastal and of coarse the Carabians. I need to know about the ASA type certifications. What is required for personnel crafts. I don't plan to charter yet. Right now just get back my sea legs . Can someone help me understand what these are and what I will need. The last thing I cant is to loose a boat. Thanks in advance for any advise safe sailing.
bosun1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 06:25   #2

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada
Re: What is mandatory to sail

The only course you will be required to complete is the Boaters Safety Course, since you are in Texas. The Texas Wildlife Dept website has info on where this course is offered. I took mine through the Power Squadron and recommend it highly.

The ASA courses are good, but are not legally required. If you are wanting to further your knowledge I would recommend the Powere Squadron courses on Seamanship and Piloting.
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 06:29   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I don't have anything, took a boaters course maybe 30 yrs ago, but couldn't prove it.
I would recommend liability insurance as a min., plus whatever insurance is required to protect you from an environmental spill.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 10:13   #4

OK that's great to know. Sailing on ships com paired to personnel boats sail or motor is completely different. Thinking on your responds on seamanship. I will look into the courses available to refresh .I did sail as bosun but it was a lifetime ago and refreshment may be needed. What are the ASA courses.are they pertaining to sertain waters?
Old 20-11-2014, 10:18   #5

Nothing is required except local issues. Most states don't require anything.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 10:48   #6

Boat: Club Sailor; various

If you want to charter you will probably need the 101/103.

If you want to charter outside of the US you will most likely need the 101/103/104 or their equivalents:

http://asa.com/lts-asa-standards-summary.html

If you just want the basics then USCG Safety courses might suffice:

Boating Safety Courses

Other than that there are no certification "requirements" to sail a boat. It's not like driving a car where you have to have a valid driver's license - at least not in California; don't know about Texas.

That said, training courses are never a bad idea.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 11:02   #7

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

I was wrong in an earlier post when I said you would need the Boater's Safety Course since you live in Texas. This course is only a legal requirement for those born after Sept 1, 1993. Bosun, I'm guessing that this does not apply to you.

So, no legal requirement to operate a pleasure craft in Texas. Lots of choices for education if you wish to expand or refresh your knowledge.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 08:18   #8

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

Hi Bosun! I like you have both large and small vessel experience and probably like you have forgotten more of the colregs and inland nav. Rules than I remember. I highly reccomend taking one or more of the short courses on rules of the road to get your head back into them. A wise man once told me, "at sea, you can skimp on any thing you want too, as long as it doesn't involve safety" that as you know leaves room for skimping on just about nothing.
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 08:31   #9

Boat: Nor'star Flicka 20'

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I don't have anything, took a boaters course maybe 30 yrs ago, but couldn't prove it.
I would recommend liability insurance as a min., plus whatever insurance is required to protect you from an environmental spill.
And don't forget- Tow Boat US!
DolphinBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 08:38   #10

Everybody learns differently. Some take to courses. Some can buy a book and learn (sailing for dummies is very good, so is Chapman's; Dutton's is for navigation).
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 08:38   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinBuddy View Post
And don't forget- Tow Boat US!
I've actually got both now, I've had Sea Tow for a while, but the other day I was in West Marine and the lady at the counter told me I had spent enough with them that if I up-graded to gold, the "coupon" I'd get would be worth more than the upgrade cost. Apparently gold means your Tow Boat US too.
P. S. I'm still waiting on that coupon
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 10:44   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosun1967 View Post
Hello every one. I have a question that I can not find a true answer to. I am a old hand 12+ years in the merchants. I owned a power boat years ago and I am setting to sail again. I am mobility impaired but /my wife and I together can do what needs to be done. My question pertains to certifications. I read the blogs daily for research,to find my new to me boat,and to learn what I will need to or at least put me on the right track. Now with that said. My wife and I plan to sail coastal and of coarse the Carabians. I need to know about the ASA type certifications. What is required for personnel crafts. I don't plan to charter yet. Right now just get back my sea legs . Can someone help me understand what these are and what I will need. The last thing I cant is to loose a boat. Thanks in advance for any advise safe sailing.
If you spent 12 year in the merchant, I was going to suggest a 100ton. Years ago won't cut it. I think it is documented days in the last 15 yrs.. Someone mentioned insurance, taking an CG aux. or Power Squadron course will help you there. The insurance companies could careless if your experience is enough to teach the course.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 15:21   #13

Hello everyone thanks for the info yes I am old enough not to worry and it has been past the 15 yr mark. But you remiinded my about a great book Duttons. I deffinently need to run in and pick one up the rules of the road will be my next. I will check up on the power squadron to see what's offered. I know from the days I spent on the water and now a lot has changed. I am a follow the rules kinda guy. Thanks for the help all have a safe day.
Old 21-11-2014, 16:07   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

It's after 15 (or 18?) years old. Provided you can prove your time.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 19:20   #15

Well I'm afraid I am just habit past . My last year on the ships was in 1995.

Tags
sail