Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2021, 11:23   #16

Boat: Hunter 38
Re: What is going on with Florida brokers

I had exactly the same experience as OP.

I strongly recommend Kim Korman Hawn at Florida Coast Marine, she's based in Ft. Pierce at Safe Harbor. Very professional. kim at fcmyachts.com. Tell her Martin who bought Wind Tryst send you.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 12:34   #17

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scargo View Post
Lately, I contacted 3 different brokers from 3 different brokerage companies for 3 different boats ... almost the same behavior for all 3 of them.

1- I sent an email, while sailing up north, to a FL broker who has a boat that was sitting for sale for more than a year. Did not reply back. I sent a second email ~10 days later. No answer. I got back home, a month and a half later, and called him on his cell phone. He answered "Oh! that boat ? I have a contract on her".
The boat is now in "Sale pending" status, 3 months after the first email contact.

2- I sent an email, I sent a message through the company website contact form, I called but couldn't leave a message because voice mailbox is full. I sent a text message (SMS). I sent an email to the company Customer Relations Assistant asking if anyone could help. No answer.
The boat is still for sale after a couple of price reductions. The boat is for sale for at least a 1.5 years

3- Last week, I called the main phone number of a brokerage company, the assistant found me a broker who was hanging around. I asked info on a boat that came back on the market after a few months off and a Sale pending status that lasted a few weeks.
"Oh! Ah! that boat. Hmmm! I think you should call the broker (he gave his name and according to their website that guy is the Boss) directly he would give you more information than I could"
He gave me his cell phone number. I called him. No answer and voice mailbox is full, so I couldn't leave him a message. So, I sent him a text message with my name, phone number and the boat I am interested in. No answer.
The boat is still for sale.

Are FL brokers only interested on local buyers ? Or there's something else I am missing or something bad I am doing ?
"Oh that boat" has the connotation that they hope the seller will end the listing since.it isn't worth their time. Over priced or a candidate for the bone yard. I'm making the assumption they need to list it as the owner wishes as to condition and can't be derogatory. " Oh that boat" says it all.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 13:15   #18

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

They may be "Sitting" for the vendors--they claim the public has no interest in the vessel, no enquiries or inspections, so owner drops price sometimes very big reductions. STILL no enquires reported to the owner.

Eventually broker sells it to an intermediary, suggesting the vendor accept an even lower offer. They then give the boat a wash-down, and put it back on the market at a much higher price, sell it, then split the profit.

Highly unethical, but all you have told me fits. The same thing I have seen happen with realtors. They ruin the reputation of the entire profession.

Only some politicians are worse--they would sell out their own country to make a 10% commission on the sale.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 13:23   #19

I have yet to work with not only a great broker but even an average one.. Most were extremely sub-par and had no idea what customer service was even though that is the industry they are involved in.. I do realise that they receive tons of looky loos, but they have to assume that they would most likely purchase a boat at some point sooner or later.. I'd rather build relationships then have everyone say, "avoid this lazy clown."

I have sooooo many of them use very old photos that were NOT realistic to what I arrived to. They had little to no knowledge of the boat that they were representing and half hearted to offer to get back with me with the info.. Guess what, they never do.. Sick of it.. they should get out of the industry as they are doing no one favors with their crappy attitudes for the seller or buyers..

Again, just my personal opinions on what I've personally endured.. Not saying they are "all" bad.. I'm just waiting to meet one that actually likes their job and actually does it!!
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 13:47   #20

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
.... plus you have to remember Brokers are overloaded with lots of meaningless calls from folks just thinking of buying.
Brokers are paid to find buyers. That is their only job. All other stuff is not what they are paid to do.
Ignoring inquires is completely counter to "due diligence".
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 14:05   #21

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Many have put a deposit in escrow with the brokers prior to finding a boat. This way the broker knows you are the real deal and you might even get first dibs. It sucks but that's the way it is now.
Florida brokers are highly regulated by the state so your funds are pretty safe.
Old 13-10-2021, 16:18   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
"Oh that boat" has the connotation that they hope the seller will end the listing since.it isn't worth their time. Over priced or a candidate for the bone yard. I'm making the assumption they need to list it as the owner wishes as to condition and can't be derogatory. " Oh that boat" says it all.
Reminds me of this great article
https://davetownleyyachts.com/blog/2015/1/9/the-blatant-truth-about-the-pricing-process
Caleb_Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 16:53   #23

Boat: Sabre 34II

I have dealt with a few good brokers here in the US northeast, and some extremely rude and unprofessional ones. It is not hard to separate them out once you talk to them on the phone or in person, and then just avoid the bad ones.

OTOH I don’t understand why a seller keeps the same broker for over a year when he hasn’t been able to sell his boat!
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 17:45   #24

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd9truck View Post
2 There is a shortage of people looking to work, because the Government is supporting America
I would love to understand from your point of view which workers who are not working (for whatever reason) are contributing to the problem described in this thread?
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 19:22   #25

Boat: 1984 Nor'Sea27

Not just Florida brokers... One year ago, I requested quotes for a new engine and installation from 5 Florida authorized Yanmar and Beta dealers. Reputable dealers BTW.
All responded that they will get right on that request after repeated calls for a month or more. Only one of the 5 sent a real quote, maybe 4 months later. The others just keep apologizing for the delay when I call.
I had much better luck in other states.
cadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 04:54   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanbigel View Post
I would love to understand from your point of view which workers who are not working (for whatever reason) are contributing to the problem described in this thread?
Some folks are so identified by their politics they apparently can't keep from inserting them into every conversation no matter how inappropriate or irrelevant and despite agreeing not to do so when signing up for a community like this.

I have to say, brokers sucked equally 10 years ago, 4 years ago, and today in my experience, and if you do a thread search on brokers here it shows my experiences were in no way unique. I would have to ask @Kd9truck as well, what indications they have that brokers suck more today than before their latest favorite political talking points came into vogue with their political tribe?
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 10:24   #27

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Hate to say it but this also applies to lots of businesses
It’s hard to get people interested in taking your money for all kinds of services not just boat brokers
Old 17-10-2021, 18:16   #28

Boat: never mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panacea2183 View Post
I’m using Dave Raftery (Curtis Stokes) very pleased W/service based in Ft Myers
Funny because I was no-showed by a Curtis Stokes' broker recently.

I did get a quick response from Pier One and I'm in the process of purchasing through them.
iSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 06:35   #29

Most are pond scum. I always tell people when selling have someone or 2 call on your boat. No response fire the broker. They do all kinds of unscrupulous things. Boat priced really well ? Then call all your flipper buddies who give you cash on the side ! Priced too high unless someone leaves a message begging to buy don't return it till they earn it (10) calls. Most are lazy drunks. NOt all there are true professional too ! They do deal with a lot of nuisance calls for sure. If they do not want to answer them then do not take the listing.
rnanaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 06:49   #30
cdy

In the past year I have called and our emailed probably on 5 boats - in the 25K -40K range - I had a couple of specific questions - Not just "is it available?"

Never heard back from any of them - and several of the boats are still for sale - with reduced prices.

30 years ago I found most brokers be be somewhat professional - usually ex cruisers trying to build a business - now they seem to be old guys who are bored and work when they feel like it - supplement their SS I guess - I am sure if my budget is over $100K I would get more attention - but if the are going to list boats under $50K they need to provide the service they claim to provide
cdy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broker, florida