Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2018, 05:45   #1

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite
Weekend sailors - how do you relieve the sailing itch when weather doesn't cooperate?

My wife and I have our dream boat, but are not at the point where we are live-aboard/cruisers. Most of our sailing time is still tied to the weekends. Unfortunately, so far this spring on the Chesapeake (around Annapolis), weekends have either been really cold and wet, completely dead wind-wise or a combination of both.

I am curious how others spend their weekends when they would rather be sailing but the weather says "no". I'm already running out of boat chores; far ahead of my planned schedule for the season.
indimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:51   #2

Re: Weekend sailors - how do you relieve the sailing itch when weather doesn't cooper

Can't answer your question, but you have company: NY area has not been any better!

Hopefully we get some nicer weather this weekend. We went out last weekend and got chased by a storm on the way back in. Was fun but not really what we were going for.
odonnellryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:17   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Weekend sailors - how do you relieve the sailing itch when weather doesn't cooper

Just put on your foulies and go for it any day on the boat . Here some of the best sailing is in winter..
Old 08-06-2018, 16:07   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

One way of getting out in inclement wx is to sign up for a race series. Racers go out in whatever wx comes along, and the adrenaline beats the nasty wx into submission (or at least it used to when I was racing!).

If you have any dreams of longer distance cruising, getting used to sailing in less than ideal conditions is excellent training. Ann and I used to go out into SF Bay during winter storms for just that reason... learned about where to sheet the storm jib, and that we needed a third reef in the mainsail and how to heave to in nasty conditions. Much better to do these things when there is a hot shower awaiting your return!

Jim
Old 09-06-2018, 01:48   #5
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

I was going to go out today - 30 Knot Winds and a 2M Short choppy swell - What killed it was it started pissing it down - Ended up in the club house with a few pints and Ribs for lunch Much more pleasurable than getting drenched.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:59   #6

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
One way of getting out in inclement wx is to sign up for a race series. Racers go out in whatever wx comes along, and the adrenaline beats the nasty wx into submission (or at least it used to when I was racing!).

If you have any dreams of longer distance cruising, getting used to sailing in less than ideal conditions is excellent training. Ann and I used to go out into SF Bay during winter storms for just that reason... learned about where to sheet the storm jib, and that we needed a third reef in the mainsail and how to heave to in nasty conditions. Much better to do these things when there is a hot shower awaiting your return!

Jim

Did the same thing myself when I first got into this sailing racket. Best time to learn all this heavy weather stuff is when you can slink back into a safe harbour if or when it gets too unpleasant or you feel you have over-reached.

In addition most of the anchorages I frequented were empty during the winter and the coffee shops empty and the proprietors were pleased to see me and often had time for a yarn.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:10   #7

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by indimini View Post
My wife and I have our dream boat, but are not at the point where we are live-aboard/cruisers. Most of our sailing time is still tied to the weekends. Unfortunately, so far this spring on the Chesapeake (around Annapolis), weekends have either been really cold and wet, completely dead wind-wise or a combination of both.

I am curious how others spend their weekends when they would rather be sailing but the weather says "no". I'm already running out of boat chores; far ahead of my planned schedule for the season.
I'm of the "A man's reach should exceed his grasp" school of thought. Light and variable winds? Chase them and hone your ability to make the most of them. Wind and waves? A chance to learn your vessel's whims, and behavior with reefing and heaving to. Sailing is ultimately a love affair between you and your vessel. Why let the weather get in the way?
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:18   #8

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Did he say ran out of boat chores? In what world is this? I want a piece of that!
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:41   #9

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

Read a good book/books on heavy weather sailing. Then go do it. I have a bunch of classics for sale. Excellent condition, half price.
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:54   #10

I try to take a philosophical approach to this issue. In the 70 mph world we expect to control all things and do what we want when want. In the 7 knot world you are not in control. Mother Nature is. With my first boat I would get frustrated with the weather. Overtime you just learn to go where Mother Nature lets you. Sit back relax you aren’t in control. Sailing is an escape from the modern world. Your sail boat is using a power that is older than recorded history.
Going Gaugain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:58   #11

Just go. When you come back, record what the weather was.

It's like leaving: you don't tell people where you're going, when you're gonna get there, and when you're coming back. It's sailing. You write down what you did only after you do it.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:45   #12

Boat: Tartan30

I go along with some of the others.
I use so called "bad days" as training time. I would rather learn about how the boat handles in a bit of a blow when I am close to home, and can bail when the training session is over.
No wind......good time to swing the compass, or has been said about honing my sail trimming skills.
Man Overboard Drill??? Practice it in a driving rain, with square waves.
Not to mention just the practice of docking under less than ideal conditions.
Anyone can cook on a nice day. How about learning what it takes to feed the Crew heeled over, and also who can hold it down afterwards....lol
I have also used some rather blustery days to practice anchoring, and then getting underway again.
When I am offshore, and things go sour, I know what to expect of my wonderful old boat (Tartan 30) and of myself. I know when bad is TOO BAD, and that all come from sea miles, and a lot of being willing to go out on those less that stellar days, and practice my skills as a Sailor.
As a Captain, I need to be confident in my skills, and the vessel, and when things get ugly be able to project that confidence to the Crew and Passengers.
You can tell when they are fearful, and sometimes the difference between a terrible trip, and a "good story" for them to take home is how confident they felt that the Skipper knew what they were doing.
I understand that not everyone can, or wants to be THAT kind of Sailor. Then I think the answer is just make friends with that idea, and have plenty of DVD's or good books around.
Also in one of the oldest of Sailing Traditions is the practice of what we might call "below decks" skills. Maybe one cold involve the Admiral in some activity that involves ropes and knots???????
scottydaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 14:51   #13

Boat: Catalina 42 2001

All good suggestions and advice. Having a a sturdy set of side curtains for the dodger and bimini keeps me dry and out of the wind and able to sail comfortably in most all conditions . Having all running rigging led aft helps also along with roller full main and jib. No wind and hot .. motor over to a close anchorage and take a swim and relax in the cockpit with friends or a good book and drink. Just being on the water is a good thing. I know your pain as I am on Kent Island... lousy over all sailing season so far. Case in point last Sunday as you know ...rain wind in 20s... great sail to St Mike.
Old 09-06-2018, 16:27   #14

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Q: What do you call the day after two days of rain?

A: Monday.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 16:29   #15

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

The clock and calendar are no friend to the sailor.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooper, sail, sailing, weather