Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2018, 08:05   #1

Boat: Whitby 42
Update FCC Ships License to a another boat

Have a FCC license for a boat we sold over a year ago. All mmsi equipment was removed and we still have it. Is it possible to update the license to the new boat data?
Thanks,
Bob
BobHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:11   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Update FCC Ships License to a another boat

I don’t believe so. The mmsi number is boat specific IIRC. You can however input a new mmsi number into the gear, although some only let you change it once.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:31   #3

Boat: J/42

In theory, I think that Suijin is correct. The MMSI is supposed to stay with the boat. In practice, you can log into the FCC database and update most of the information on your license. I should think that if you tried to change everything, it ought to raise a flag that would require a new license application. Probably some fields, such as hull number, are locked, but I haven't tried it.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:58   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

The MMSI, like the SHIP'S station license, is assigned to the ship and stays with it. Change boats, and you've got to pay all over again. The FCC claims the ITU mandates this.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:23   #5

I thought maybe they could just update the boat info. I'll get on their website and check further.
Old 08-09-2018, 14:57   #6

Went to the FCC website. I can change the name of the boat, but not the CG number. So it will have to be a new application.
Old 08-09-2018, 17:29   #7

Boat: C&C 34

Just about all radio and AIS manufactures will reprogram your equipment to a new MMSI number. Check out milltechmarine.com. They program quite a few radios. Pretty sure its about $25
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:49   #8

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I don’t believe so. The mmsi number is boat specific IIRC. You can however input a new mmsi number into the gear, although some only let you change it once.
This is correct.
New MMSI and usually needs action on thecequipment by aurhorised dealer of the equipment manufacturer.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:20   #9
Marine Service Provider

I have changed the details on the registration (not the MMSI number) for my EPIRB on occasion to whatever boat I am sailing on. The MMSI number can only be changes, if at all, at great expense. Warning. My procedure may cause problems for international search and rescue agencies but what the hell, if I and the people with me are rescued safely I'll deal with that later.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 14:42   #10

I still have the AIS from our last boat and I know I can change the boat's name. Nobody ever uses the mmsi number, I would just like other boats to be able to hail us by name.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:08   #11

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHorn View Post
I still have the AIS from our last boat and I know I can change the boat's name. Nobody ever uses the mmsi number, I would just like other boats to be able to hail us by name.
As I understand it, your MMSI number is used to easily and quickly hail your boat using the private hailing service of CH70 (Digital Select Calling or DSC) to activate a loud alarm on your VHF unit. All modern VHF units have this feature, which requires an MMSI number on your VHF. If your AIS MMSI does not match the MMSI on your VHF, boats wanting to hail you cannot activate your VHF unit's call alarm. A ship hailing you about a close CPA will first try using your AIS' MMSI number. IF that doesn't work, then after some delay they MIGHT switch to call you using a public voice call on CH16 by your boat's name, if they took the trouble to look it up on their screen. If they finally give a voice hail only, there is a real risk that you may not hear a hail from a ship wanting to warn you of a CPA, since you may hear some voices on your CH16 but not hear that it's your boat's name.

You spent a bunch of money for your ClassB AIS, so why not pay a few bucks to have it re-programmed? As an aside, transmitting an MMSI number from a vessel to which it is not assigned, is certainly a violation of FCC and international regulations and you could be subject to a fine if it came up in a court case due to a collision.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 13:57   #12

I do plan to have it reprogrammed once we get the boat home to TX. But on the way back I would like to have the AIS working. We have used it in the past and have always been hailed by the boat name.
I understand the workings of DSC, just don't have the time before we have to move the boat to get a new FCC license and new MMSI number.

Tags
boat, license