Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2016, 17:56   #1

Boat: EndeavorCat MkII 30
Updating an existing FCC ships license

Hello,
I did some searching, but did not find an answer to this question.
Does anyone know how to update the USCG documentation license number and State registration number for an existing MMSI from the FCC.

When we purchased our new to us EndeavorCat in October, we started to outfit her for our eventual goal of cruising the Carribean. We asked the broker to request a USCG documentation number and to also register the boat in Florida where she will sit for the next year or so.

While waiting for the USCG processing, we saw a good deal on an AIS. However, we needed the MMSI number to have it programmed. We applied for the license using the existing registration number. The MMSI was assigned in a couple of days and we used it for the DSC on our radio as well as the EPIRB

We finally received the Florida registration and the pre-assigned documentation number. Our old boat had different USCG and Florida numbers, so we did not realize that the florida registration number would change. So now our FCC license has the wrong title number and no documentation number

I searched the FCC site, but the 605 form does not seem to have an option to update the documentation.

Does anyone know how to do the update? I would appreciate any advice you might have
rthompsona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 16:13   #2

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: Updating an existing FCC ships license

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthompsona View Post
Hello,
I did some searching, but did not find an answer to this question.
Does anyone know how to update the USCG documentation license number and State registration number for an existing MMSI from the FCC.

snip

Does anyone know how to do the update? I would appreciate any advice you might have
You can go to the ULS online system by logging in here: http://wireless.fcc.gov/util/Redirec..._Online_Filing

You need your FRN and password which you created when you first applied for the license. When you view your licenses you can click on the radio license denoted by your FCC call sign. Then when that page comes up look on the right side for "update". If there is no ship's number on the license yet then it should allow you to add a number during the update process. If it already has a number then you can't change it as this form is too "stupid" to change a ship's number. Down at the bottom right of the page is a link to submit a "help request". You can send the FCC a message and they will help you. I think they can go in and change the ship's number.

The reality is that the ship's number is used for almost nothing in so far as SAR and radio licensing is concerned. I doubt anyone will ever care whether you have that number right or not. But do be sure that your SAR data in the FCC database is up to date. Make sure your shore contact info is accurate and that your shore contacts know you have put their data in the FCC database. You update this information using the above described process.

The FCC does not care about your state registration number. No need to list it in the license database as far as I know.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 11:34   #3

Boat: EndeavorCat MkII 30
Re: Updating an existing FCC ships license

TransmitterDan,

Thank you very much for your help. I updated the SAR information and sent them a note on the ship number. Your explanation made it much easier.
rthompsona is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license