Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.43 average. Display Modes
Old 02-08-2006, 03:10   #391

I've heard so many people saying "Their not going to reply to this thread anymore"Well **** folks,let me point out something,"Ya have!!Double time,tripple time and most the time!Now,forget the SV bumfuzzle,forget P&A,forget everone's conflict of intrest in the matter(Because none of you will ever agree!!!!)And I know this is off/topic,"suggestions for the forum"I personaly suggest that Rhonda,who started this thread in the first place!!,Get's,what anually should be awarded,Our,OSCAR of the year award for "" MOST PRAVOCATIVE THREAD""Yearrr ,Yearr,Yearrr,Clap clap clap,Ra Ra Ra.And Rhonda,If you are with us and reading this thread still,"And ya should be!!!"Could you please step up and accept this award"Even though,It's not official,and say a few words,PLEASE,"Never has so few incited so many with so much diversity with no actual knowledge with more experience than is obviously needed to type in their own idea of what should and should not be done to circumnavigate the globe,and yes,once again Macdonald's,has befittingly for the 21st centuary,led the way!!Boy wont the boat builders be pissed off now that they diddn't do the right thing in the first place????And folks back there in "This is how you do it land"Thats what the thread was all about in the first place!!!Who would have guest that this was were it would lead to,how many of you wanted your story in an ATTS & LATTS mag?Now,was this all orchastrated on purpose,whatever,it kept everyone on this forum focused on spilling out their thoughts,more so than anyother site that Iv'e been reading,and nobody was the wiser as to who was cashing in on this story.Have you been baited as a forum??Have you been baited personly,because a lot off people on this forum have posted remarks in other forums,Ive read them!So,what more can be said??The thirtinth commandment"The baited will allways find the hook"Paul-verse 1 chapter 1 my own bible.Mudnut.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:21   #392

By the way,Rhonda,only posted 9 times.All the same post.But the piss test came back un-conclussive!!!!Yep, there goes the oscar idea.Damm,I thought I was on to something!!!Maybe I'LL have a go at the Tour-De-France.Mudnut.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:54   #393
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
But, but, but, it's like a black hole that is dragging you in......must hold back....fingers wanting...to...touch...keys...pulling....back...mu st...touch...keys....can't....withstand force.....arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Old 02-08-2006, 14:00   #394

Boat: Privilege 37
I find it really quite amusing, the number of people who come onto the forum just to talk on this one thread, and berate the rest of us for our lack of "knowledge and understanding".

I support anybodies right to disagree with me even if they are wrong!, but how about contributing to other threads as well.
Old 02-08-2006, 21:28   #395
Kai Nui

I said I would not post here again unless a comment was directed at me. That one almost qualifies. Talbot, arguing with you is what got me hooked on this forum The thread has stayed on tpic. I have never seen so many people delaminate so badly anywhere

Old 02-08-2006, 22:57   #396
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
who can argue with someone who is willing to risk their lives to live a dream? T
Old 03-08-2006, 01:12   #397

Quote:
who can argue with someone who is willing to risk their lives to live a dream?
The only reason is purely where that person's attempt to live their dream put's other peoples lives at risk.

Otherwise I am a happy supporter of Darwinism, or to put it another way, "If not duffers, won't drown".
Old 03-08-2006, 01:40   #398

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Talbot is spot on....
JOHN
Old 03-08-2006, 05:04   #399

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
"The only reason is purely where that person's attempt to live their dream put's other peoples lives at risk."

Well, I guess most of us shouldn't drive a car either then. Or golf.
Old 08-08-2006, 17:53   #400

Good God! the Sins of Pat and Ali and Bumfuzzle!

I have been reading this thread almost since the beginning. Since then I have been diagnosed with head and neck cancer, had four surgeries, 7 weeks of Radiation AND Chemo therapy, had the life sucked out of me by those drugs and treatment, didnt know if I would live or die, have recovered, no cancer (so far) left in my throat or neck, and am now back to work. Meanwhile you-all have, mostly, been royally pissed off at poor Pat and Ali because they:

1. Are Young
2. Don't eat the right food (this is really sick and sad)
3. Didn't buy the right boat
4. Didn't hire the right surveyor
5. Were not precsient about all things that could go wrong
6. Dont' "cruise" the "right" way
7. Don't give a rats pattootie about you "old salts" and what you think
8. Apparently were financially stable
9. See the world differently than you
10. Are humble enough to admit what they don't know
11. Have a sense of humor

This thread is mostly a sad, sad commentary on human nature. So many times there were opportunities to post something positive, to encourage, to support. More often than not the path that was chosen was just the opposite. Negative, carping, petty, and sadly, personally rude to both of those young people.

Surviving Cancer is a bit, I think, like setting off across the ocean in a boat you just bought...you don't know the outcome, you learn everyday that you have more strength and perseverance than you ever thought, you are humbled by that you don't know, and you take every opportunity when things are good to enjoy yourself with the simple pleasures that you can manage. There were times I would have given my right arm to be able to eat a McDonalds hamburger.

Alan Perry
S/V Oceanus
Seattle WA
Old 08-08-2006, 18:28   #401
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
I too have wandered back to this thread off and on over the last few months. I have to tell you, I am very surprised by people's comments. These young people are doing what I can only dream about doing, and I admit it, I'm envious.

I'll also admit that I never thought these guys would make it to the Med. Folks, the inescapable fact of the matter is they have made it, and they deserve the respect that comes with this achievement. My view of these two people has done a 180. I'm now an unabashed fan. As an aside, had I hired their surveyer, I would have taken his report as gospel, as I have a book or two of his around here someplace.

From this point on, let only those who have circumnavigated or logged 25K or so in blue water miles criticize these young people. Franky, those of us who haven't might not be qualified to comment.

my humble opinion

Rick in Florida
Old 08-08-2006, 20:51   #402

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Alanp & RickM,

Spot on! Carpe diem & smooth sailing. Else, why bother with anything?

Cheers.
Old 09-08-2006, 14:45   #403

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
I have done my share of foolish things... high altitude climbing in the Himalaya without a guide or sherpa, travelled by dugout canoe through El-Peten when there was a war on, to name a couple. Foolish; yes. Against the advice of freinds, family and even government; yes. Risky; yes. I am alive to tell the tale, but, with the benefit of hindsight, not the smartest moves I ever made. That I am alive to tell the tale says as much about luck as it does about my own abilities. I should say that I had a blast, and the memories will live with me forever, but I am not sure that my actions are worthy of applause... On the one hand, it is great the the Bumfuzzlers had the cojones to get up and have a go. On the other hand, like me, I think that their continued survival is as much a testament to good luck as good management. But hey, it makes for interesting reading and lively discussion
Old 25-09-2006, 08:48   #404

Boat: 1972 37' irwin center cockpit
some people

Would being more prepared helped Pat and Ali? Maybe. Most negative posters list things that could happen, not that have. A meteor could hit their boat. It could. Pirates could board them. A whale could breech under them. Fact is they have made it 3/4 of the way around the world. Which I'm guessing makes them more experienced than probably over half of the negative posters in this thread. Probably more than that. Having said that I am sure Wheels or someone with a lot of Experience will be the next to comment to defend their negativity. Some of it is understandable, but maybe should be said with a little more couth.

I drive truck. When I first started, I experienced the same kind of negativity from other experienced drivers. I also came to driving truck a little differently than the average, much like PnA's approach to sailing. I took 1 lesson from a friend of mine who owned his own 18 wheeler, got my liscence and then got a job. I had no experience at all and would ask other drivers questions all the time. Just like here, I would get two reactions. One would be that another driver would answer my questions, and let me know if there was anything else I needed to feel free to ask. The second reply would be a lot like the negative replies that I see here. I had no business being out there with no experience and that I was a danger to all. 9 years later I drive a 30 wheeler not 18. I have never been in an accident. Knock on wood. Pat and Ali have done great! Congratulations to them. They should get congratulations from you also. You were wrong. (you know who you is so don't post some indignant response if you are not one of the yous) Maybe not in theory, but Pat and Ali are not theory. Given the amount of experience they have now, who would begrudge them their trip across the atlantic?

Finally they have experienced local culture, maybe not on the same scale as some of you would've but they are them and you are you.

Pat started as a runner on the Chicagos commodities exchange, made his own money. Ali made the money prior to that. They are a smart likable INDEPENDENT couple. More than one person has made comments about Daddy's money and silver spoons. Those of you who did that are wrong, and never had any basis on which to make that kind of comment, in a public forum no less. To me if anyone deserve derision or rancor it is them. It is irresponsible and insensitive and since it was wrong it was also stupid.

Congrats to Pat and Ali for what they have done, and good luck with what they are doing.

Sean
Old 25-09-2006, 09:45   #405

It was about time somebody came back on here and posted another "they can do no wrong" message

Perhaps if you took a spare couple of days and actually read what had been posted, you will find that on here, by and large we are supportive of what they have attempted, but not of how they have gone about it, and have been concerned that others will follow the same ill-prepared route, but may not have the same guardian angel hovering above them.
Closed Thread