Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2019, 11:43   #1

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
Trouble with KISS wind generator

Directly after returning to our boat after hurricane Dorian passed Cape Canaveral I noticed the KISS wind generator, high up the main mast, had stopped rotating. I switched it off before we left, to put it into freewheel. The wind speed at the height of the hurricane was about 100 mph locally, so it probably went crazy.
I went up the mast to see if it was just stuck. It was stiff but possible to turn by hand, but even in 15 knts it would not spin on it’s own.
Does anyone please have any hints what to do?
It sounds like bearings to me, could they have overheated and failed in that speed wind?
It’s a devil of a job to get down and back up.

It’s been flawless for ten years I’ve owned the boat.
Thanks in advance. JR
Old 06-10-2019, 11:49   #2

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Trouble with KISS wind generator

On our KISS the brake switch would only stop the generator spinning up to 30-35 knots of wind. Above that there was enough rotation force to get it spinning again. We took to tying the blades when we received a storm forecast. Water under the bridge for you, but it is sounds like bearings. I know for sure that it would start spinning again at wind speeds well less than hurricane, I would suspect that things got very hot. They're not too hard to replace, but as you said, removing and re-installing will be the time-consuming bits, but I think that's where you need to go.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:42   #3

Boat: Allied 39

We have owned our KISS for 15 years and always tie it off before leaving the boat for any length of time or in a storm. The brake does not work above 25 knots and it just howls like a banshee.

I am afraid you will need to split the case and get into it to see what maybe the problem.

Good luck
Old 27-10-2019, 14:09   #4

Okay, I brought the KISS down from the mast today and opened the front quite easily. The front bearing is solid and I suspect the rear is the same.
The question is how do you withdraw the armature and get to the rear bearing?
I can’t just pull it out of the windings.
Old 26-11-2019, 08:30   #5

Hi to Dsanduril and Chouliha,
Just a quick note to tell you I totally dismantled the Kiss and installed new bearings, also a modification to allow it to be easily hoisted back up the mast.
I’ve now written an article about this, which I expect to be published in a boating magazine some time early next year. A preview is here.
WIND GENERATOR
Thanks for your input. JR
Old 26-11-2019, 21:23   #6

Boat: Allied 39

Nicely done. The good thing about a KISS is that all the bearing and seals are available in most bearing shops worldwide.

If you mark each blade with a magic marker 1,2,3 and the hub as well then when you remove the blades you do not need to rebalance when reassemble it. We often remove the blades when leaving the boat for an extended period of time during the cyclone season and never had to rebalance the blades. We put the blade marked 1 onto the aluminum hub marked 1......
Old 28-11-2019, 12:01   #7

Thanks Chouliha, you are quite right about the blades, and I would have brought them down if I had thought of it at the time. As it is I’ve made a note in the article.
I’ll be hauling it back up the mast some time mid December, when we can be fairly sure there is no more nasties coming our way.
Old 28-11-2019, 12:06   #8

Boat: Outremer 50S

Too late for your case, but in case someone searches this thread in future...

When I had the rotor out I took it to a machine shop and had them balance the rotor. The KISS units were rather crudely built, it took several grams on one side to correct. That made a big difference to total vibration and simplified balancing the blades.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, wind, wind generator