Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2024, 08:57   #196

Boat: Hunter 386
Re: Transgender and cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaccaSean View Post
Singular they emerged in English around the 14th century, about one century following plural they. Take issue not with some so-called “gender-neutral community” but rather the Edwardians.
Oooh, what a great opportunity to take this thread off the rails! Grammar wars! Edwardian? I think you're off by about 400 years there And Middle English is a distinctively different (language) than modern English. I had to wade through most of Chaucer before I eventually wrapped my head around it.
Old 13-01-2024, 09:03   #197

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 43 Mk I

Okay fine, the first three can just be late Middle Ages or whatever it was
Old 13-01-2024, 09:09   #198

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

I wish your friend well I am glad it did not result in further harm there is a lot of intolerance in this world, it sucks that this occurrence was scaring, but it may have saved them from a more toxic experience in the future.
I would advise any group not to go to places that are intolerant of there religious beliefs, nationality, sexuality, recreational drug use, occupation etc.
call me a victim blamer the world is a huge place my personal guideline is to go where I am welcome. Don’t go to a vegan restaurant and ask for a meat option. As stated by another if the ID documents were in order maybe they would not have isssue?

I am American lots of places don’t like yanks but they will take the USD. I don’t go to those places, no need. As a NewYorker there are places I’m my country I choose not to go because they don’t like NYers, I take my NY money to friendly places.

We are all responsible to our selves for our choices they are the things that control the trajectory of our lives.
Old 13-01-2024, 09:34   #199

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHorn View Post
According to my old Oxford dictionary those are both plural. [REDACTED]

From the Oxford English Dictionary, which you erroneously referenced:
I.4.b.
1429–
With a generic or indefinite antecedent referring to an individual (e.g. a person, someone, the patient), used esp. so as to make a general reference to such an individual without specifying gender. Cf. earlier him pron. A.I.2b.
In the 21st century, sometimes used to refer to a named individual, so as to avoid revealing or making an assumption about that person's gender; see e.g. quot. 2009 and cf. sense A.I.4c.
Old 13-01-2024, 09:39   #200

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjstutch View Post
Sorry I am late to this post!
I have an old school friend who turned out to be a trans woman later in life! They went to one of the muslim Asian countries mentioned as not recommended and followed the down-low advice suggested by many here. In this case unfortunately dressed as a non-descript male, when they went through the body scan machine and the alarm went off. They were told their body did not match a male body. They were taken aside and patted down as they thought they had drugs attached to their chest. They were breasts as they been on estrogen for years. They were then taken to a room and stripped naked by male police officers to complete the search. As they had also had surgery down there (SRS) and had a vagina, they looked like female, and had had voice surgery giving them a higher pitch like a female. These airport police thought they were a woman dressing as a man. They were subject to other searches in the mouth, nose ears, anally and vaginally.
Going on the down-low was a great idea.....NOT! They were finally released after 3 days in the airport jail and fortunately returned to Australia. They were originally told they would go on trial for presenting as a transgender man. Australian diplomats secured their release.
Things are not as simple as you think, and being on the down-low does not always work, especially if you have done a lot to change your body to the the gender you feel you are!
They are too traumatised to travel again, still 5.5 years later!
I am sorry your friends had to go through that. It seems to have been a mistake to not dress as they physically present. If they had not updated their passport, even in the United States that might throw up red flags. Not because of gender bias, but because of a passport that so obviously seems to be for a different person.
Old 13-01-2024, 14:14   #201

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
If somebody was referring to you as Bobby or Robby or used feminine pronouns when referring to you, would you see that as insulting?

I think people should be referred to the way they want to be. If there are occasional slip ups, that's life.

I feel that someone to intentionally use a former name/pronoun or the superseded name/pronoun that's them trying to impose their view of how the world should be on someone else.
Old 13-01-2024, 20:05   #202

Boat: Between boats due to COVID-19 lockdowns in Australia, and waiting for the prices to come back.

Quote:
That is not really the issue Bob.

Although I looked up the latest version of the Oxford language dictionary and it said this:

used to refer to two or more people or things previously mentioned or easily identified.
"the two men could get life sentences if they are convicted"
used to refer to a person of unspecified gender.
"ask a friend if they could help"
Old 13-01-2024, 20:21   #203

Boat: Between boats due to COVID-19 lockdowns in Australia, and waiting for the prices to come back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I presume their passport was not registered/adjusted for the gender change else the issue may not have happened.
Dressing as a 'non descript' male would not have helped either.. What are they trying to hide.???
Be what you claim to be especially if fully transitioned..
Also.. I reckon all this new 'woke' lingo is not helpful.. currently someone in the UK is trying to get 'openly gay' banned.. will closet be next and we'll have to say cupboard instead..
I asked that myself and she was waiting for the government to process the change once the SRS surgery was done. The surgery was apparently the requirement here to change you gender marker at the time. The new passport took over 6 months and she had to go there for the US IT company she worked for. The sales conference was mandatory to attend.
She would have been arrested anyway having the passport she had to use as it was still showing male.
Not sure about the words and pronouns, I was asked to use those then, and she/her now!
Old 13-01-2024, 21:12   #204
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
According to my old Oxford dictionary those are both plural. [REDACTED].
I'll tell my four gay and one transgender friends not to visit Texas. You'll be safe.

Tags
cruising