Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 22:58   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Transatlantic Without Own Boat

17,000 miles.... but that does not mean I'm good... just lucky

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 23:05   #17

Re: Transatlantic Without Own Boat

I only have 4000 or may be 5000....
sea_kaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:18   #18
Armchair Bucketeer

I think Boaty is on the "a lilo is good enough" end of the spectrum - but that puts him in a minority, at least on having a fair to middling chance of arriving! and I have a sneaky suspicion that last night when posting he was going a bit shoreside stir crazy and that alcohol may have been involved.........bluntness used for clarity!

But FWIW, I think 40 foot not a bad ballpark to aim for - not strictly necessary and length alone won't make any boat seagod proof, but on average 35 foot plus gonna make life easier (which is a safety item), at least than sub 30 (including a lilo!). But design also rolls into that.

Crewing wise, 4 not a bad number. Can of course do with less - but it all rolls into making life easier (aka more pleasant). Of course also have downsides with more folk onboard - even a 40 foot plus boat is a smaller space than most people are used to for extended periods and especially sharing it with others! One of those things yer never know for sure until you do it - my perfect crewmate might be "your" living nightmare! (and vice verce!).

Me never gone transat, but you sound like you are in the ballpark to give it a go - at least if a chunk of those miles have been as Skipper (always a bit! different from being crew - some folks good with "the buck stops here", others not so.....middle of an ocean when the poop starts is not the best place to discover which! or to learn).

Anyway, welcome to CF.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:24   #19

Thank you for the support - it indeed makes me close to do it. About 80% of this miles are as a skipper
Old 04-07-2013, 02:58   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

i have this boat for sale at the moment if you are interested,located in falmouth uk,ideal hopping off place for the atlantic route,more or less ready to go,with auto pilot,solar,good engine,fridge,new rigging ,all totaly refurbished over the last 2 years etc,want £6000,so well within your budget,great little boat for a couple or solo.,see link

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rew-59975.html
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:36   #21
Marine Service Provider

If you have experience why don't you get paid to do it on someone else's boat instead of paying to do it... Thats what I've done...
Old 04-07-2013, 06:44   #22

I would love to get delivery contract. In one hand I do not know how to find it. In other - I am not sure I will be able to ensure boat quality in case of delivery.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:13   #23
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea_kaban View Post
I would love to get delivery contract. In one hand I do not know how to find it. In other - I am not sure I will be able to ensure boat quality in case of delivery.
If you couldn't deliver a boat safely, at what cost would it be worth a boat owner to have you pay him to deliver the boat? 10k doesn't go wry far to cover damage caused by incompetency...
Old 05-07-2013, 09:30   #24
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea_kaban View Post
I have a dream to sail transatlantic as a skipper. I am ready to spend
some money (let say $10K) but I can not buy and equip boat to the required level.
Is it possible to rent a boat or some other way to do it?
I will be glad for any suggestions.
give us the 10K we will hang out below deck while you sail to your hearts content
3 staterooms, cant go wrong.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:32   #25

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

I think OP is still in dream stage. 10K for a 40' boat plus outfitting for what cost? Sure there are 40' well designed and capable boats for 10k but in what condition? I just looked at one that seller has listed for 12k. Well known, well respected blue water make, but soaked and rotted decks, frozen and leaking seacocks, shot electrical system and non working electronics, leaking stuffing box, oil leak in original 45 year old engine, no holding tank, so on and so on. Not USCG compliant. My calculator did not add high enough to estimate refit costs.
Would not even leave the harbor in that boat let alone sail across an ocean when loaded with provisions for trans-anything.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:48   #26
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimea Cruiser View Post
I think OP is still in dream stage. 10K for a 40' boat plus outfitting for what cost?
Actually he acknowledged in his first post that the $10k was not enough (makes a change from the usual 1st post from new Members!).........and was looking for ideas.

Could suit someone willing to take a risk to get boat delivered!, or more likely someone going transat anyway and keen for some add cash and is happy to take a back seat (as Admiral ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:55   #27
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Actually he acknowledged in his first post that the $10k was not enough (makes a change from the usual 1st post from new Members!).........and was looking for ideas.

Could suit someone willing to take a risk to get boat delivered!, or more likely someone going transat anyway and keen for some add cash and is happy to take a back seat (as Admiral ).
He said in his original post he 1st looking to rent a boat to do a transatlantic as captain on...
FLLCatsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:09   #28

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

Well then. He can check crew wanted posts here. Several TransAtlantic posts open at present. Can probably make trip with cash to spare then.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:23   #29
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Transatlantic Without Own Boat

Well.... MishMish is looking for a skipper for his H37 Cherubini to Israel from the US... or... there'll soon be Trishaffleck screaming blue murder about me because I've got fed up and gone home after being told to be here by the 30th/1st at the latest.. no contact since the 27th when she said she was travelling up the ICW instead of outside to NY...
Been in cheap hotels since the 29th and fly home this Sunday morning... no more cheap deals to help out... they've both turned bad..
She'll likely appreciate getting some money back to compensate her losses on my hotels and airfares... and she's got a newish 42footer...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote