Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2015, 09:46   #316
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Tragedy Strikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Ladies and Gentlemen,
This is a classic example of ...
Some people can become so driven to be brutally honest that they lose perspective on when such advice is not strictly necessary or helpful. Some brutal honesty delivered by a trusted friend or mentor can be the push a person needs to effect a positive change, but some people enjoy being brutally honest simply for the brutality itself (enjoy the brutality more than the honesty).

Yes, the feedback which you offered may well have been factually correct, but there were better ways to deliver it. Indeed, sometimes difficult and uncomfortable things need to be said (and honesty in saying them is very important!). Usually, however, they don't require saying, or (at least) can be said with tact, sensitivity, and kindness.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 09:47   #317

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Ladies and Gentlemen,

This is a classic example of an unprepared boat and an even less prepared skipper taking off on a journey that should never have happened. The results are as expected. Pity parties aren't going to change that. Wake up, and don't encourage that type of behavior.
Baloney !
Fate merely winks at preparedness.
Even well prepared people and boats find their demise.
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 09:49   #318

Boat: 38" Sailboat

I don't really see this as either an unprepared boat or sailor.

It's really a terrible chain of events, and could happen to really anyone no matter how well you prepared. What this does make me think of though is how could I prevent this from happening to me. That's not to say you can't reduce the risk. How many people here actually have an active way to track there boat when they are separated in a remote area of the world?

It's not something I haven given lots of thoughts to, but reading Gil's account it makes you realize you can't really count on things like planes or such or many modern conveniences that we get used to, and it's something I will have to put more thought in.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
SailingPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 09:58   #319
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

ROFL HAHAHAHAHAHA

Listen up folks.

This from the "worldly experience" of an east bay mudlarking catalina 22 owner, serving these "wise" delights as he probably does with the baysalted crabs he serves to the touron's of St. Michael's.

Wow. Such experience. I am truly shaken.

Quote:
Ladies and Gentlemen,

This is a classic example of an unprepared boat and an even less prepared skipper taking off on a journey that should never have happened. The results are as expected. Pity parties aren't going to change that. Wake up, and don't encourage that type of behavior.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 10:00   #320

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Some people can become so driven to be brutally honest that they lose perspective on when such advice is not strictly necessary or helpful. Some brutal honesty delivered by a trusted friend or mentor can be the push a person needs to effect a positive change, but some people enjoy being brutally honest simply for the brutality itself (enjoy the brutality more than the honesty).

Yes, the feedback which you offered may well have been factually correct, but there were better ways to deliver it. Indeed, sometimes difficult and uncomfortable things need to be said (and honesty in saying them is very important!). Usually, however, they don't require saying, or (at least) can be said with tact, sensitivity, and kindness.
Thank you for saying this. The tragic events that occurred are lesson enough and I am sure that those lessons have been duly noted by most of us who have been following this, not the least of whom is the man who lost his boat. Things happen and can happen to even those who are best prepared. There is no need to rub someones face in it.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 10:11   #321
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

If I am going to be "brutally honest" I find it most helpful to be so when a person states his plan of action, ie "I am going to row to Hawaii in a dugout canoe" rather than when they are treading water on top of a overturned canoe. Once the event has happened, the only reasonable course is rescue.
Go Gil!
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 10:17   #322

Boat: Havsfidra 20

Quote:
This is a classic example of an unprepared boat and an even less prepared skipper
The boat was well prepared, if not, I would like to know how it wasn't, so that I do not make the same mistake next time. Criticism means little without expanding a bit.

That I did not have enough experience to reasonably start the journey, I agree. However experience isn't gained at the dock, and I doubt many sailors start a first journey fully prepared for anything that could happen. I had all the knowledge I could get my hands on in a few years of studying, minus the sea miles. Without self-patting on the back, I think I did pretty darn well getting to the Bahamas. I encountered trouble, made the right calls and got there safely. I may not have much experience in sailing, but I do in much more dangerous activities, and I am used to preparing for challenging environments. Sailing, while certainly unforgiving and demanding isn't rocket science, and I hope I am not offending anyone here saying that. I have the utmost respect for sailors, especially solo navigators. In a very small way, I am considering myself a sailor, albeit a newbie.

I will accept criticism without flinching or getting offended. I just want to learn something from it, not just that I did something wrong. I will add that without knowing me personally, you are missing important data.

Like I've said, had I done something stupid like set my own boat on fire, headed inside a storm with all sail out or fallen off the boat while making way, it might have been easier to accept. I could blame myself for being a moron and move on, or maybe I would not be here to write this. I can't think of anything I might have done or not done given the circumstances that was blatantly wrong, and that is frustrating.

Gil.
gilgsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 10:20   #323

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post

I certainly understand your point of view Gord. I could have used much less tact, sensitivity, and kindness. I chose not to point out other less scrupulous scenarios to this entire incident but didn't. I would hate to see others empty their wallets only to find out later someone just needed a plane ticket home to France. If it is a scam you really got to hand it to him, you know, pulling it off during the holidays when everyone is in the giving mood. My money is staying in my wallet.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 10:40   #324

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Tragedy Strikes.

Hey! How 'bout them Falcons?
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 10:42   #325

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Redskins!!!!
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 10:50   #326

Quote:
I certainly understand your point of view Gord. I could have used much less tact, sensitivity, and kindness. I chose not to point out other less scrupulous scenarios to this entire incident but didn't. I would hate to see others empty their wallets only to find out later someone just needed a plane ticket home to France. If it is a scam you really got to hand it to him, you know, pulling it off during the holidays when everyone is in the giving mood. My money is staying in my wallet.

k,....you're cruel! :s mitten:
cards26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 10:51   #327
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

say, wasn't there a place online where you can see latest satellite photos, similar to what they crowdsourced for the Malaysian airline fiasco? Mebbe we could all group and pinpoint its location. Long shot bein so small but...
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 10:51   #328

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Clab. You know that Im a moron. Please explain Falcons.
LAURA.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 10:53   #329

Boat: Havsfidra 20

Quote:
I chose not to point out other less scrupulous scenarios to this entire incident but didn't.
Actually you just did.

The number to the Old Bahama Bay Marina is (242)350-6500. Just call and ask about the guy who lost his boat and if anyone saw me arrive aboard.. Call the police station and ask for a copy of the report. Call the USCG Miami and ask for the coordinates of the sighting they had on the next day from one of their aircraft while assisting another vessel. I am not asking for money. I just want to find my boat.

Gil.
gilgsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 10:55   #330

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgsn View Post
However experience isn't gained at the dock, and I doubt many sailors start a first journey fully prepared for anything that could happen.
I agree. If one waits until they have "enough experience" ...one will keep on waiting. Its called EXPERIENCE. You can only gain by doing.
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote