Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2009, 04:39   #1

The Lion of the Senate

The Kennedy brothers were known to be recreational sailors up in Cape Cod. Ted's boat was the Maya.

Do you have any stories about racing with Ted, in races with Ted or encountering him on the water?

Do you think his passing will stir more interest in sailing?
Old 30-08-2009, 05:27   #2

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
God rest a good and kind man.
Old 30-08-2009, 06:10   #3

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
The Kennedy brothers were known to be recreational sailors up in Cape Cod. Ted's boat was the Maya.

Do you have any stories about racing with Ted, in races with Ted or encountering him on the water?

Do you think his passing will stir more interest in sailing?
No.

When I see pictures of them on the water, I get good feelings though.
Wish I could have given my kids the same experience they had growing up... would have been nice.
Old 30-08-2009, 06:25   #4

Boat: Privilege 37
All these eulogies very nice for a man whose greatest achievement was to have two brothers whose abilities were a level above their peers. Perhaps that was Ted's problem, always trying to be as good, but without the charisma.

I am sure that there is one family at least who are thinking less of his deeds and more of a little bridge at chappaquiddick.
Old 30-08-2009, 06:31   #5

Boat: 1974 Sabre 28 Mk I - Icefire
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
God rest a good and kind man.
Let's not fall into the trap of beatifying the man just because he died. "Good" and "kind" are not two words I would choose to describe a person who spent his professional life enhancing the power of statists and other elites at the expense of our liberty and potential for prosperity. Not to mention the fact that he's a murderer.

I'm sorry for his friends and family that he's dead. But the nation and world would have been much better off if he'd spent his days sitting in Hyannisport sailing and debauching instead of playing self-aggrandizing power games in DC for the last 30-some years.

Just MHO.
Old 30-08-2009, 06:37   #6

Boat: No Boat right now :-(
Send a message via ICQ to Endojoe Send a message via AIM to Endojoe Send a message via MSN to Endojoe Send a message via Yahoo to Endojoe Send a message via Skype™ to Endojoe
2nd Alexei and Talbot. Well said.
Old 30-08-2009, 06:45   #7

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
"Lion" is probably the best description - They look large and majestic but are powerful carnivores and deadly. You don't go up to and pet a lion unless you have a death wish.
Old 30-08-2009, 06:47   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I’m pleased to note that not all conservatives feel the need to bolster their reputation for craven and mean parsimony.

Ted Kennedy was praised by many for reaching across the political aisle on thorny issues, and today, Republican leaders mourned the death of the Senate’s “liberal lion.”

Former President George H.W. Bush called Kennedy “a seminal figure in the United States Senate.”

“Barbara and I were deeply saddened to learn Ted Kennedy lost his valiant battle with cancer. While we didn’t see eye-to-eye on many political issues through the years, I always respected his steadfast public service — so much so, in fact, that I invited him to my library in 2003 to receive the Bush Award for Excellence in Public Service,” the former president said in a written statement. “Ted Kennedy was a seminal figure in the United States Senate — a leader who answered the call to duty for some 47 years, and whose death closes a remarkable chapter in that body’s history.”

Much more, from the Republican side of the aisle
GOP Leaders Mourn Kennedy's Death - The Note

Old 30-08-2009, 06:48   #9

Kicked out of Harvard for cheating. Bestowed an important office by his family. Caused the death of a human being but, couldn't be troubled to report it until the next morning. Another limousine liberal devoid of integrity whose life illustrates our Founding Fathers largest omission - term limits (it probably didn't occur to them)
Old 30-08-2009, 06:51   #10

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Quote:
I'm sorry for his friends and family that he's dead. But the nation and world would have been much better off if he'd spent his days sitting in Hyannisport sailing and debauching instead of playing self-aggrandizing power games in DC for the last 30-some years.
Well stated. I agree.
Old 30-08-2009, 06:57   #11
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Folks, please take a look at the first post in this thread. It asked for responses about sailing with Ted Kennedy.

Political comments and remarks about his personal life, either pro or con, are off-topic and almost guaranteed to invite reaction from someone with an opposing view. We'd appreciate it if posters here will set their personal opinions aside and stick to the topic.
Old 31-08-2009, 16:47   #12

Boat: Bristol 30
I saw Ted Kennedy at the Edgartown Yacht Club back around 1982 or '83. We later saw him while having lunch inside the club. He and his son were seated at the table right next to us. They were finishing up and 15 minutes or so after we arrived, they were gone.

We saw them head back to their boat, cast the lines and then we were gone.
That was my one brush with "sailing" and Ted Kennedy. Although we were fogged in on Nantucket once in the late 1980's, and Jackie O was on the boat several slips down. I actually had small talk conversations with her several times.
Old 31-08-2009, 17:50   #13

Boat: Pearson 26
I live on Nantucket and I saw Ted round Brant Point on Maya one year during the annual "Figawi" race. I've also seen them sailing around Lewis Bay in Hyannis while I was on the ferry.
Old 31-08-2009, 18:44   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
This is a final reminder from the moderators that this is not a political forum. We have deleted 7 posts out of 20 so far for being off topic.

If you would like to contribute to the discussion about Kennedy the sailor please do so. If the political rants continue this thread will be shut down.

Thanks!
Old 31-08-2009, 21:01   #15

Boat: Catalina 30
Send a message via Yahoo to anjinsan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I’m pleased to note that not all conservatives feel the need to bolster their reputation for craven and mean parsimony.

Ted Kennedy was praised by many for reaching across the political aisle on thorny issues, and today, Republican leaders mourned the death of the Senate’s “liberal lion.”

Former President George H.W. Bush called Kennedy “a seminal figure in the United States Senate.”

“Barbara and I were deeply saddened to learn Ted Kennedy lost his valiant battle with cancer. While we didn’t see eye-to-eye on many political issues through the years, I always respected his steadfast public service — so much so, in fact, that I invited him to my library in 2003 to receive the Bush Award for Excellence in Public Service,” the former president said in a written statement. “Ted Kennedy was a seminal figure in the United States Senate — a leader who answered the call to duty for some 47 years, and whose death closes a remarkable chapter in that body’s history.”

Much more, from the Republican side of the aisle
GOP Leaders Mourn Kennedy's Death - The Note
That is because conservatives are kind in their words.
Closed Thread