Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2009, 21:11   #16
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
It would probably be a good book. "Sailing with the Kennedys" a collection of vignettes by friends.

Politically.....I don't care one way or the other.

I am tired of the beatifying of Political Figures, Sports Figures and Entertainers....it gets really old.
Old 31-08-2009, 21:20   #17

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Their sloop, I think it was John's, is on display at the JFK library in Boston. It was an extremely nice boat. It is fitting that I got my sailing start not 200 yards from there at the UMASS sailing program, which is an awesome little program and free for students and there guests.

Being from the Vineyard I always heard a lot about the Kennedy's and used to fish off of that ill fated bridge in Chappaquiddick. Now Obama summers there and before that it was the Clintons.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:10   #18

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
This is a final reminder from the moderators that this is not a political forum. We have deleted 7 posts out of 20 so far for being off topic.

If you would like to contribute to the discussion about Kennedy the sailor please do so. If the political rants continue this thread will be shut down.

Thanks!

Would we be allowing this thread if it was about Charles Manson's sailing career??

PLEASE delete this obviously politically charged thread in its entirety.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:24   #19

Boat: Bristol 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Would we be allowing this thread if it was about Charles Manson's sailing career??

You make a politically charged comment, then complain that the thread is "politically charged"?
Old 01-09-2009, 11:26   #20

Quote:

Seconded!
Old 01-09-2009, 11:27   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
Their sloop, I think it was John's, is on display at the JFK library in Boston. It was an extremely nice boat. It is fitting that I got my sailing start not 200 yards from there at the UMASS sailing program, which is an awesome little program and free for students and there guests.

Being from the Vineyard I always heard a lot about the Kennedy's and used to fish off of that ill fated bridge in Chappaquiddick. Now Obama summers there and before that it was the Clintons.
There were Presidents long ago that vacationed there as well. Taft and Cleveland, I believe.
There were also cabinet members from the Eisenhower and Johnson administrations that summered there.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:32   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:

More germaine, if there were a thread about the sailing career of William F. Buckley, Jr., I doubt anyone would give it a second thought.

I once heard a story that he was out sailing and drinking wine with friends. As they finished each bottle, they'd include a note -- usually some political diatribe - cork the bottle and toss it overboard.

When they came to the last bottle, Buckley is said to have written the following: "Help! We are out of Chateau Briand!"

Anyone know if the story's true?
Old 01-09-2009, 11:34   #23

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
I once match raced against Ted. He was an awesome opponent. I remember we were neck and neck at the last downwind mark, and it was going to be close. Just before we were ready to gybe, I heard someone on Kennedy's boat yell "Hey! Thats not the mark! Thats Rush Limbaugh floating in the bay!" Sure enough it was. Well, we both spent the next 20 minutes alternately hitting, then doing penalty turns around that mark. Forgot all about racing...we just laughed and laughed...God, that was a good day...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Old 01-09-2009, 11:36   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
OMG! That's hilarious!
Old 01-09-2009, 11:46   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
More germaine, if there were a thread about the sailing career of William F. Buckley, Jr., I doubt anyone would give it a second thought.

I once heard a story that he was out sailing and drinking wine with friends. As they finished each bottle, they'd include a note -- usually some political diatribe - cork the bottle and toss it overboard.

When they came to the last bottle, Buckley is said to have written the following: "Help! We are out of Chateau Briand!"

Well, having read some of his sailing books, I would certainly give a second thought to a thread about Buckley's sailing career.

Of course it helps that he was always civil when discussing politics, and usually entertaining as well, so even though I disagreed with him most of the time, I usually paid attention. He was a true conservative.

I actually ran into him once in a boating store in Connecticut many years ago. He and his pal were dressed like typical cruisers... unshaven, wrinkled clothes with those white tell tale salt stains. I was a little shocked at his size.... very tall and burly. I think I may have also helped him find what he was looking for, since I was familiar with the store.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:48   #26

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Sea-lion of the Senate.

Sorry I couldn't help myself.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:53   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post

Don't know if it is true, but I did find this NRO article by Buckleys son recently. I thought some of the members here would enjoy it:

My Old Man and the Sea by Christopher Buckley on National Review / Digital=
Old 01-09-2009, 12:33   #28

If you watched the Funeral etc, it was interesting that nearly every family member young and old mentioned their time sailing with Ted. Ted was a true sailor, knew his faults and mistakes, worked for the little guy continuously. When someone falls off your boat and drowns because you jibed wrong or didnt insist they wear a life jacket should you be labeled a murderer? and by the way, how DARE people take their kids out of school and take them sailing risking their lives on the ocean! I would venture to say the sailing community has lost one of the few voices we had in the government that understands the freedom of sailing well enough to try to help ensure boaters rights etc.... to most of them boating is a meeting on a 100 ft yacht to get plasterred and rub up against the babes.... Ted only accidentally killed one, Bush killed thousands.....
Old 01-09-2009, 12:37   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
If you watched the Funeral etc, it was interesting that nearly every family member young and old mentioned their time sailing with Ted. Ted was a true sailor, knew his faults and mistakes, worked for the little guy continuously. When someone falls off your boat and drowns because you jibed wrong or didnt insist they wear a life jacket should you be labeled a murderer? and by the way, how DARE people take their kids out of school and take them sailing risking their lives on the ocean! I would venture to say the sailing community has lost one of the few voices we had in the government that understands the freedom of sailing well enough to try to help ensure boaters rights etc.... to most of them boating is a meeting on a 100 ft yacht to get plasterred and rub up against the babes.... Ted only accidentally killed one, Bush killed thousands.....
I think that's enough. We said we would close the thread if this continued.

Life begins where land ends.
Closed Thread