Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2015, 09:58   #16
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
re: The Frugal (AKA poor) Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
This is the kind of encouragement for people Im trying to foster.

GOOD boats can be found at others expense. Not everyone on here wants to sail around the world. Most are quite happy locally visiting the harbours and coves. For me in the UK, because its not my primary cruising ground of choice but IS where I am, I really enjoy the Bristol Channel and surrounds. When I go cruising where I want to be, then I will have my modest Catamaran that is well found by previous owners. I like things that have been worn in...

I work on a lot of brand new boats all year long (Quite happy to do so) and I can tell you for a fact, new or used, you will always be spending money on them after the sale to get them the way you want.

Halden Marine Services | Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:11   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
I work on a lot of brand new boats all year long (Quite happy to do so) and I can tell you for a fact, new or used, you will always be spending money on them after the sale to get them the way you want.

Halden Marine Services | Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
Not in doubt at all. Just pointing out to frugallers that a base boat can be purchased for use at a good price point and used in the water, and then as money becomes available, things can be added as desired.

For example on my Centaur, I have not changed a single structural item or ANYTHING to do with sails or engine.......... my additions have been electronic, a cooker and working on a shower install plus a water heater and solar. Do I need it? no. But its something that can be done by a handy person and STILL be on the water.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:16   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Rule #2.

Be eager to do as much work that is required yourself if you can.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:40   #19

Boat: Rafiki 37

I'm with you Weavis, but I wonder how many CFers have bought their current boat without any debt. I didn't , although it only took me a few months to clear the debt.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:48   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I am all about Furgal sailing. My little islander was purchased for a hair over 10k. It needed a lot of loving, but the hull mast, and standing rigging were good. Plus it had that low hour yanmar repower in it.

For me frugal means buy carefully. Mind you I installed two new marine panels AC and DC. Yes I did my own wiring. But I'm fairly cognitive on electrical codes and practices.

With my new found employment, I have been able to do a few upgrades. My $42 electric water piping (RV type) which was 1/2 the price of the exact same marine pump. Then there was the RV stove I just installed in December for $280. No it does not have the top burner thermocouple, but as I watch the stove when cooking, that's not a big deal. The burner flame heats the pans evenly and cooks as well as a landside stove. Plus it gymbols as I reinstalled the gymbol mounts from the old RV stove to the new one.

Next I need to repair the fiddle block on my boom vang, as one side of the camcleat mount broke. I'll be getting a bit of stainless strap to make tow new mounts and should have it repaired for about $10, I'm hoping. Sure beats a new fiddle block at $90+

When the backlight blubs on my old grmin chartplotter goes out (which could be anytime, I'll probably buy new bulbs off ebay and repair it, rather then buying new or more likely use a tablet.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:58   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I'm with you Weavis, but I wonder how many CFers have bought their current boat without any debt. I didn't , although it only took me a few months to clear the debt.
Im thinking most Cfers paid a lot more

At the frugallers end, its important if not vital to keep costs down on the purchase price. When I was a teen, I worked every hour and saved until I could afford my boat. I didnt mind waiting. I didnt want to get it on a loan because if it broke I couldnt afford to pay the loan and fix it at the same time.

Better for the boat sit in my mom and dads back garden whilst I got busy with repairs at no cost except materials. All my fishing buddies were the same. We would take turns at each others houses helping out if required.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:13   #22
CLOD

Boat: none

You want to save money on boating then the #1 rule should be:

Don't buy a boat if you are still going to be living on land!
Old 01-02-2015, 11:30   #23

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Unless it has a trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
You want to save money on boating then the #1 rule should be:

Don't buy a boat if you are still going to be living on land!
Old 01-02-2015, 11:40   #24

Boat: Bristol 27

If you don't have a car payment (old Jeeps run forever) and your slip fee is $195/month, insurance $15.00/month, it really isn't all that expensive.

Oh yeah, and your boat is paid for.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:40   #25

weavis, great ideas. When we bought our then 12 year old boat in 1998, we compared it to new. Which was TWICE the cost! Yikes!!! Didn't make sense to us then, nor does it now. While our boat is nearing 30 years old, it sails as well as one of 'dem spring chicken 15 year olds!

The concept of self sufficiency is great, but I'd take it a step further and say it is a SAFETY issue. A skipper needs to know his systems and the fixits, workarounds and How Stuff Works, regardless of whether they are ocean sailing or just coastal cruising. Heck, even for daysails.

One day our engine wouldn't start. Simple: I went down to the fuseholder that years earlier I had relocated so I could actually get to it (!) and wiggled it around. Started right up, replaced the fuseholder when I got home. That was in 2013. In 2004 we were in an isolated place up in the California Delta and the engine wouldn't start. THAT was when I relocated the damn fuseholder in the first place!

How'd I know about this hidden "gem?"

I did my homework.

While I appreciate all the back & forth on this and other boating forums, what seems to be recurring with increasing frequency are the questions posted by folks who if they'd done a smidgeon of research or homework could have answered their own questions.

One just today: "I intend to install an autohelm and replace the aging depth transducer in a 1982 Bayfield 29. Any suggestions on the best places to Google?"

Really.

I thought Google DID the work for you.

And i would venture to guess that many, many of us learned what we did pre-internet days. Geez, just to think ya hadda buy a BOOK and read it.

Rant over , thanks again, weavis.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:12   #26

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
weavis, great ideas. When we bought our then 12 year old boat in 1998, we compared it to new. Which was TWICE the cost! Yikes!!! Didn't make sense to us then, nor does it now. While our boat is nearing 30 years old, it sails as well as one of 'dem spring chicken 15 year olds!

The concept of self sufficiency is great, but I'd take it a step further and say it is a SAFETY issue. A skipper needs to know his systems and the fixits, workarounds and How Stuff Works, regardless of whether they are ocean sailing or just coastal cruising. Heck, even for daysails.

One day our engine wouldn't start. Simple: I went down to the fuseholder that years earlier I had relocated so I could actually get to it (!) and wiggled it around. Started right up, replaced the fuseholder when I got home. That was in 2013. In 2004 we were in an isolated place up in the California Delta and the engine wouldn't start. THAT was when I relocated the damn fuseholder in the first place!

How'd I know about this hidden "gem?"

I did my homework.

While I appreciate all the back & forth on this and other boating forums, what seems to be recurring with increasing frequency are the questions posted by folks who if they'd done a smidgeon of research or homework could have answered their own questions.

One just today: "I intend to install an autohelm and replace the aging depth transducer in a 1982 Bayfield 29. Any suggestions on the best places to Google?"

Really.

I thought Google DID the work for you.

And i would venture to guess that many, many of us learned what we did pre-internet days. Geez, just to think ya hadda buy a BOOK and read it.

Rant over , thanks again, weavis.
Nah,

Just go to the library, and copy out the relevant pages! My first anthro prof taught us: never buy a book you haven't read. Might be a bit extreme, but a good formula for keepers. And of course, you wouldn't read all the pilots, just have them for reference.

Great idea for a thread weavis; I hope it flourishes!

Ann
Old 01-02-2015, 12:30   #27

Boat: Rafiki 37

Early on when I began pursing this cruising plan I read in a book (a real book Stu ) this line: "Go with the smallest boat you can live with."

Obviously it resonated with who I am, but it has stuck with me as kind of guiding light. It's a principle about finding what is enough for you. We all have different needs, but instead of defaulting to 'Bigger is better', this simple line helps remind me to live within my means.

For me, being frugal simply means knowing when I have enough.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:32   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It was always a matter of concern to me that some of the sailors on here advocated safety in terms of dollars spent. Sadly in some cases it is true, but the reality is that for part time sailors or weekenders, it does not have to be that way.

Yes I can afford to spend a lot more money on a boat than I have. Only, I dont want to in the location Im in or feel the need to until Im ready. I do want to sail NOW so I got a good vessel and get my fix. I reckon it costs me about $40 a week for all expenses because I split them with my nephew... I can live with that.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:50   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Dont be afraid to buy lightly used sails. There are a number of places to purchase from.

It helps if you have a well known marque. It saves on re cutting.
Old 01-02-2015, 13:29   #30

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
When do you think you will be heading off this time?
It could be anytime between July 2016 (the year I turn 62 and the earliest I can start drawing my pension) and July 2018 (our drop dead date even if we have to pay to get out of our house) depending on how long it takes to sell the house. Sooner would be better than later but the real estate market has not improved as much or as quickly as we had hoped here. We were unfortunate to buy at the very height of the market in 2005.

Tags
sail