Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2015, 10:14   #31
BAM

Re: The Answer to How much it Costs to Cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
So, it is the answer for you, but not the answer for me as I have cruised many months without spending a dime. I am currently under $1000 for the last 12 months.
That's amazing - you're on here posting, so you obviously have internet access, does that $1000 a year include food and toilet paper and shampoo and diesel and everything? When I do the math, that's like $83.00 a month. Please share how you're able to do that. I'm currently trying to figure out how to cruise on just my police pension, and seriously want to figure out how folks are spending a little as possible.

For sure the $2700 isn't going to be a monthly cost, because lots of those expenses are one-time purchases. I'll be very interested in what this evens out to once the initial start-up costs level out. Thanks for sharing. -B
BAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:22   #32

Thank you Catamoron. Some realistic eye openers there. It's true that you can "exist" on the water for alot less, but to enjoy what cruising grounds and destinations have to offer, costs money. I think $3,000. per month is reasonable. I personally spend much less on communications with the "old world". No cell phones while cruising. We Skype with family when we find internet. We also avoid docks if possible but it's not always possible. I do however, spend much more on rum, beer, land excursions and general entertainment. That's a major category unto itself for us. Enjoyed the read. Keep us in the loop.
Kelsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:40   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
That seems to be the case for all the low cost posts in all the budget threads.

Seems I remember many of the $500 a month threads were quite specific, Sailor Chics for example
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:45   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
I think the issue for many new cruisers, or those contemplating it is uncertainty. They have lived in a house for years and can predict the problems and expenses. The have not tried doing it on a boat and keep wondering if it really will be cheaper or not but mainly it's just not knowing. Only experience running their boat can make this go away but talking to others helps.

That is EXACTLY it, and reading the experiences of others does give me some idea of what it may cost me, but ones like this are short time as there is no monthly budget to pay for bottom jobs, standing and running rigging, eventual engine replacement and just day to day maintenance and replacement of "stuff".

Before I started reading about this, I had always just assumed it wasn't do-able unless you were a Millionaire and could spend I guess 100K a yr.
Took me awhile to believe it could be done for much less, I believe the common belief is that only the wealthy can afford "Yachts"
Old 11-02-2015, 11:06   #35

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Seems I remember many of the $500 a month threads were quite specific, Sailor Chics for example
I find most leave a lot out and little to no maintenance has ever been done not that it couldn't be done but I doubt I could convince my better half to give up the current live style and live on what I've seen for 500 or less but I know some have. Also I a lot of those are smaller boats so it is relative. Maybe we should break them down to boat size under 27 33 38 and 41 and over. Oh and cats. Part of the live style is doing stuff when you get to each stop our why not stay put. Blue water is blue water.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:29   #36
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Must have been different threads than the ones I read.

But this is just thread drift!
Old 11-02-2015, 13:08   #37

Boat: 2012 Leopard 44

Quote:
That is EXACTLY it, and reading the experiences of others does give me some idea of what it may cost me, but ones like this are short time as there is no monthly budget to pay for bottom jobs, standing and running rigging, eventual engine replacement and just day to day maintenance and replacement of "stuff".
Quote:
The point of my post was to inform about the cost to cruise 1 month in my particular example - four adults on a catamaran. Of course people live on boats for $500 per month - I've seen many derelict boats that I'm sure they aren't spending $3000 to cruise, or to anchor. And the ones that spend less than $500 that are cruising the world, good for them - my family couldn't eat for less than $500 per month...so I wouldn't think their example is the same as mine...or the same as most people wanting to cruise would be.

The point of my post was not to show how little one can spend per month to live on a sailboat, it was to give a realistic example of normal adults on a catamaran sailing in a very well known cruising ground.

And the monthly budget for upkeep and maintenance is a completely different post - that's the "what does it cost to upkeep a 42' catamaran" and not the one that I posted on the monthly cost to cruise. Depending on who you listen to, the yearly maintenance costs is roughly 10% (give or take) of the value of the boat. Or you can refer to my other posting about what it cost to refit a catamaran where I go into detail about everything it cost us to refit our boat.
Catamoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 13:32   #38

Boat: Lagoon 42

Well, what a surprise. Once again the know everything crowd has chimed in!
I for one, thank you for posting on here what it cost you for the last month of cruising in the Bahamas. It is current, and of course it is what it cost you, in your situation and on your boat. Anyone with half a brain realizes that costs vary from one situation to another. Give the guy a break. I guarantee you that it is costly in the Bahamas; food, fuel, entry, beer... everything. It's great to see what your actual costs were, and gauge from there what my actual costs might be.
As for living for a year for under a thousand bucks? Don't believe that for a second, I gotta throw the BS flag on that one. That's a fifteen yard penalty, which means that guy has to stay at least fifteen yards away from me.
Keep up the blog, it's fun to follow along. And don't let the nay-sayers bring you down, after all... you are cruising the Bahamas!
Chris
SV Saltrun
Saltrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 13:49   #39

Boat: 1967 Chris Craft Cavalier 33'

Six months ago we purchased a cabin cruiser. We've done transit time, overnighters, festivals at different marinas, sunset cruises. Out cost is 3465 per month which includes 9100 in upgrades. She is a family island boat and many people get to enjoy her !! With what airfare was costing us to go play ... I should have purchased a boat long ago. In just two short hours we can leave GPT and be in crystal clear waters. And no airport food !!
Bikini Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 14:03   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm not beating on him, but it IS just one month, and if you leave out the maintenance costs it's not necessarily sustainable.
That's the problem I have with quite a few "how much does it cost" threads, they aren't sustainable, which is no problem at all if your not trying to sustain, some only cruise for a few months and of course they aren't worried about engine set backs etc.
I come from an aviation background, and there is an almost universally accepted way to determine cost per hour to fly.
Take overhaul costs for engine and prop and divide by overhaul interval, add costs of annual and fuel and insurance and add for unscheduled maintenance and hangar costs and you come real close to "how much does it cost to fly".
The cruising thing is apparently more difficult I guess, and things like 10% per yr of cost of boat for maintenance per year are absurd. I buy a new 2.5 Mil Gunboat and maintenance is 250K, but I buy a 50 yr old boat for 10K, maintenance will only be 1k?
Based on the 10% rule, I expect the "average" boat spends $1,000 plus or minus a month on maintenance, really?

But ALL data is appreciated, just you have to determine yourself if someone else's data is valid for you. Plus you have to define "cruise" to some it's apparently very minimalist survival type of living, for some it's one high end Marina to another high end Marina, eating out at very nice restaurants nightly.

But, again, all data is greatly appreciated. The more detailed, the better

Personally I think I have a decent handle on what it will cost us to live while on a boat, that I don't think is that different really than land based living, what worried me is how often do you get really big ticket expenses, and how big are they. I mean like standing rigging, sail replacements, engine overhauls and the like, but I'm getting there slowly.
What I don't understand is how do people living on a tight budget handle a torn sail, blown engine, dis-masting? Is it the end of the "Dream" for many?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 11-02-2015, 14:15   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Rock Candy View Post
Well I would consider you one of the elite. I spent 6 months down there and never spent over 700 dollars a month. Couldn't afford the 3.65 cent bear but I could buy rum for 3.50 a bottle and if you bought 3 you got the fourth one for free..... Mac
I avoided the bears as well. They are not nearly as sweet and cuddly as they sometimes appear to be.
sardinebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 15:01   #42

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAM View Post
That's amazing - you're on here posting, so you obviously have internet access, does that $1000 a year include food and toilet paper and shampoo and diesel and everything? When I do the math, that's like $83.00 a month. Please share how you're able to do that. I'm currently trying to figure out how to cruise on just my police pension, and seriously want to figure out how folks are spending a little as possible.

For sure the $2700 isn't going to be a monthly cost, because lots of those expenses are one-time purchases. I'll be very interested in what this evens out to once the initial start-up costs level out. Thanks for sharing. -B
For starters, he paid $1,000.00 for his boat. I have the same boat and paid $2,000, but at the same time, the boat is on the Mahina Offshore List of recommended boats.

http://www.mahina.com/cruise.html

It's the same old thing.

Are you out to enjoy the beauty of sailing and the earth in general or is it that you are out to have a permanent vacation?

Are you trying to have all the comforts of home or out for an adventure?

Are you in shape or a person that uses his body as little as possible?
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 15:40   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I think multihulls cost more to cruise than monohulls.
(ducking and running for cover!)
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 16:14   #44

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
and this brings up good point... that's 2700 a month in the Bahamas and I l believe sailor chic is in Mexico? So, its geographically correlated to a large degree. Also, as you become more experienced, expenses slow down and you hopefully become more disciplined with costs. It takes a while to get out of the rat race.

Lately we have settled on a budget of about 3000 a month for cruising but because I am still working (still in rat race) we have some flexibility in that value and frequently go over by 10% or so by mistake (spending too much on groceries or beer or going out to much). That is everything including savings for major repairs, healthcare, and insurance but not depreciation on the vessel as my 27 year old boat is pretty much fully depreciated or at least to the point that the curve is very flat over the 8 or so years we plan on owning it.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 16:15   #45

Boat: Leopard 40 Catamaran

Nobody will bite your bait Newt - its far to stale.

Catamoron, I hope you persevere and update your blog with 6 months worth of data.

The most popular answer to the question is, in my opinion, the most accurate.
"It costs as much as you have"

If you know where to look, there are a lot of people willing to share there own cost breakdowns...

Here's 39 examples to start you off...
The Cost of Cruising ~ SV Estrellita 5.10b

Tags
cruise