Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2015, 19:36   #256
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Sydney To Hobart 2015-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
This is what really pisses me off. One of the greatest blue water races in the world and it gets just 60 minutes local coverage

It's already finished on our local tv..
Yep, me too and almost no coverage of the main part of the fleet. Zip - nada - nothing

I suppose the money talks…
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 19:51   #257
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
No, 1998 was the worst weather they had in the history of the event! I'm not sure how this can be disputed.

371 starters in 94? Wow!

I do personally think some of the requirements are overboard. The qualification requirements, crew numbers, some of the vessel requirements, to name a few.
'98 was special in the number of fatalities and the weather was extreme. It was also outstanding in the rescue of so may entrants. Never had the limited rescue facilities being so overstretched as in '98. The success of of the way the recuses were co-ordinated by various outfits without any prior interaction or co-ordinated training is a real testament of what we are capable of when push comes to shove.

But '93 was also an extreme weather event with estimated 70+ kt winds its and 12 metre seas. One boat recorded 78 Kts but this not have been the worst. One must remember that the shallow water cant and does produce "backless waves" or square waves where you simply fall though the air before smacking back into the water again after a drop of many metres. Pretty tough going and one of the many many reasons I'm no offshore racer

Here is some more detail about '93 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_S...art_Yacht_Race
Read about John Quinn (skipper of Mem) who spent 5 hours in the water without a lifejacket (MOB) before been sighted by a oil tanker in the dark.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 20:53   #258

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

Anyone up to speed with the cause of one of the Chinese entries collision and subsequent withdrawal??
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 21:05   #259
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

I am a bit over the hardest ocean race in the world dribble, surely the boats going round the world in the deep southern ocean drake passage etc have it a bit tougher, and no weather forecast can tell them or the race committee if its going to turn ugly.

Felt sorry for Loyal, couple of code zero issues. Pleasing to see comanche going well, particularly since it relies on its engine less than Wild Oats.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 21:29   #260

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Felt sorry for Loyal, couple of code zero issues. Pleasing to see comanche going well, particularly since it relies on its engine less than Wild Oats.
In fact, I could swear that I saw folks working the grinders on Comanche... wonder what t hey were doing??

Sure a pretty boat... amazing what you can do when you have a spare billion or two lying about!

Jim
Old 25-12-2015, 23:09   #261

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
I am a bit over the hardest ocean race in the world dribble, surely the boats going round the world in the deep southern ocean drake passage etc have it a bit tougher, and no weather forecast can tell them or the race committee if its going to turn ugly.

The commentators and at least three different newspapers I've seen so far refer to their "spinnaker".. Guess that's easier to understand for the non sailors out there.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 23:10   #262

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Gecko View Post
Anyone up to speed with the cause of one of the Chinese entries collision and subsequent withdrawal??
From Sydney-to-Hobart: Comanche builds an early lead heading down the coast in the bluewater classic - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

"Ragamuffin 52 was under us, he had to give us room," the navigator said.
"They didn't, we had to bear off to avoid a starboard-port collision.
"They (Ragamuffin 52) didn't give us room so they collided heavily into us.
"The whole starboard backside (of the boat) was ripped away."
Old 25-12-2015, 23:54   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
The commentators and at least three different newspapers I've seen so far refer to their "spinnaker".. Guess that's easier to understand for the non sailors out there.
I was thinking same and thinking but that's a Code Zero isn't it.
Are they technically correct in that a Code zero is an Asym spin?? Me no clue.
Old 26-12-2015, 00:21   #264

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes, technically a Code 0 is the smallest feasible asymmetric spinnaker. It measures as close as possible to a genoa's dimensions while fitting the various rule definitions of a spinnaker.
Old 26-12-2015, 00:44   #265

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post

You heard someone claiming it is the hardest race in the world did you I've never heard of anyone claiming that. And I'd suggest the vessels going around the world can have it much tougher, but then it's an entirely different race and shouldn't be compared to this one.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 00:47   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Dmy wife and I were watching the start if the race and she's not a boater at all. I didn't initially hear the commentator talking about 'spinnakers' so I corrected it. I must have then heard three commentators referring to the damn spinnaker going up and Perpetuals getting tangled. Trying to convince my wife I know more of what a spinikker is than the commentator
Old 26-12-2015, 00:51   #267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
'98 was special in the number of fatalities and the weather was extreme. It was also outstanding in the rescue of so may entrants. Never had the limited rescue facilities being so overstretched as in '98. The success of of the way the recuses were co-ordinated by various outfits without any prior interaction or co-ordinated training is a real testament of what we are capable of when push comes to shove.

But '93 was also an extreme weather event with estimated 70+ kt winds its and 12 metre seas. One boat recorded 78 Kts but this not have been the worst. One must remember that the shallow water cant and does produce "backless waves" or square waves where you simply fall though the air before smacking back into the water again after a drop of many metres. Pretty tough going and one of the many many reasons I'm no offshore racer

Here is some more detail about '93 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_S...art_Yacht_Race
Read about John Quinn (skipper of Mem) who spent 5 hours in the water without a lifejacket (MOB) before been sighted by a oil tanker in the dark.
I won't disputed how tough 93 was, as it was definitely one of the toughest. But it was not greater than the 20m seas and 80knt winds recorded in the 98.

I'm failing to understand why this is in dispute? It's not comparable. And the loss of life was extraordinary and a calamity.
Old 26-12-2015, 01:07   #268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
You are of course correct that this is only my opinion but I suggest the way it is now is not an improvement or advancement of boating - both racing and cruising. I fear that such "control" by "the state" only results in limiting our freedom to sail in a manner of our own chosing. This type of "control" will one day see increased regulation of our activities for "our own protection". What happens in racing trickles down to what happens in cruising - perhaps??

Sorry Mr RC, you can't leave port today, your "mainsail safety certificate" expired at midnight last night and you will be at risk if you continue. You must maintain your rudder in accordance with the manufactures recommendation and it now requires mandatory replacement. Your hull colour has been proved unsafe in 0.025% of boating incidents in Westfalia and it requires repainting before your boat can be launched again and oh, you will need a certification from the paint manufacturer that the colours comply with the current requirements. Please note, this colour certification is valid for 12 months only as the high UV predictated this summer may fade it beyond acceptable levels.

Yes, over the top response perhaps but such is possible! And IMO, we should all rail against creeping regulation - especiaaly when it is pitched as "for our own protection"; left unchallenged and unchecked, we will be left totally safe and totally sorry.

To be honest, some death is preferrable to total safety. At least, when someone oversteps their ability and dies, the rest of us take notice. I don't suggest there should be no regualtion and I see regulation very important in the commerical world where personal safety decisions aren't available to the employee as they are subject to what management provides. In these cases, commerical operations require regulation to force management to manage risk but why is it so in a recreational activity. And regardless of professional racers or not, the SH isn't truly a commerical operation - or maybe it is ??? Are the entrants employees??? Maybe they are - in law???

There would be more boats completing (note- not necessarily racing) if this " nanny state of affairs" were less intense.
The 'state' has had nothing to do with the changes to this race, nor does the 'state' make regulations for it. It's an entirely non government recreational race.

and 'no' it's not considered a commercial operation. But, the entrants 'pay' an entry fee to participate and that identifies the facilitators of having a legal duty if care over who enters the race, and how the race is operated. The government does not get involved in regulations for the running of such a race so, 'no' I don't believe what you suggested is possible. It's just a tad extreme and humorous.

Your comment to some death is preferable over total safety is extraordinary. I can only conclude that you really don't mean it.
Old 26-12-2015, 01:20   #269

Quote:
You heard someone claiming it is the hardest race in the world did you I've never heard of anyone claiming that. And I'd suggest the vessels going around the world can have it much tougher, but then it's an entirely different race and shouldn't be compared to this one.
I'm sure Factor can back his own words up but in answer to your question I noted it at least three times over the last couple of days but do agree with your suggestion.
That Comanche really looks great but I was surprised at the amount and frequency of water that came over the deck and at least to the mast in quite benign conditions.I would have thought the boat may have been even more efficient without that much water.
Old 26-12-2015, 01:47   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Gecko View Post
I'm sure Factor can back his own words up but in answer to your question I noted it at least three times over the last couple of days but do agree with your suggestion.
That Comanche really looks great but I was surprised at the amount and frequency of water that came over the deck and at least to the mast in quite benign conditions.I would have thought the boat may have been even more efficient without that much water.
I could not locate any post claiming it's the hardest race in the world? Perhaps it was in some other thread?

I too noticed the water over her hull. It seems to be diving in to them. Doesn't seem to be slowing her down much though.

Tags
sydney