Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2019, 02:09   #16

Boat: Hanse 531
Re: Suggestions for Next Dream Boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Possibly cheaper than all the suggestions, certainly any Nordhavn and likely more capable

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...no-20-3495698/
This leads to the question, are we too fixated on having a mast and sails?

For me, I think part of the sense of freedom is the thought that with sails, you can just go on for however long you want, without the need to stop. (This is a qualified truth, obviously, since you need a water maker and lots other stuff to do that, as well.)

I like the 'green' aspects of it also. But there IS this solar powered yacht that looks quite cool
Old 14-11-2019, 08:50   #17

Anybody have any thoughts on Garcia's Exploration Line...the 45 or 52... and now the 60'er?

There is a Gunboat owner that posts to youtube that took their cat up to Norway...I think their only issue was keeping warm.
squarehead67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2019, 10:56   #18

What about the JPK45? A fast, practical, very capable, no nonsens long distance cruiser. I like!
Fransw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2019, 11:13   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransw View Post
What about the JPK45? A fast, practical, very capable, no nonsens long distance cruiser. I like!
Wow, that's a cool boat!

Unfortunately I can't find them as an exhibitor in Düsseldorf, but I'm sure they exist somewhere.
Old 14-11-2019, 12:43   #20

Boat: Pearson 367

I just saw a JPK 38 here in Guatemala and I have a serious case of boat lust. Since JPK had a couple smaller boats win the fastnet race they don't go to boat shows or advertise. Simply word of mouth and they are backordered at least a year. Can't wait till more 38s hit the used market. I'm not holding my breath but a man has to dream.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 00:00   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
I just saw a JPK 38 here in Guatemala and I have a serious case of boat lust. Since JPK had a couple smaller boats win the fastnet race they don't go to boat shows or advertise. Simply word of mouth and they are backordered at least a year. Can't wait till more 38s hit the used market. I'm not holding my breath but a man has to dream.
Yes, they know how to built capable and good quality boats! Imlusting after the JPK45
Fransw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 03:49   #22

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
This leads to the question, are we too fixated on having a mast and sails?
Given that an inordinate amount of so called sailing vessels motor more often than not I would suggest yes
Been a great breeze blowing all day here. Its the weekend so have seen dozens of yachts and can honestly say, only one sail witnesed and that was a headsail only and would not be surprised if they were motor sailing.
Quote:
For me, I think part of the sense of freedom is the thought that with sails, you can just go on for however long you want, without the need to stop. (This is a qualified truth, obviously, since you need a water maker and lots other stuff to do that, as well.
)

The average sailing boat will run out of real food and water before the power cat shown or us for that matter run out of diesel, refrigeration, endless power and water.

We spend several months at a time between reprovissioning due to large household 240v refrigeration and freezer, have over 2000w of solar to run it, carry 5 tonne of water and enough diesel for 500 hours of motoring.
Doubt you'll get that sort of autonomy on a sailing vessel unless crazy expensive.
Quote:

I like the 'green' aspects of it also. But there IS this solar powered yacht that looks quite cool
Boats built of plastic, sails built of plastic, ropes made of plastic, masts made of aluminium requiring coal fired smelters and the list goes on.
Not as green as you think.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 12:28   #23

I like Simi60's arguments I'm not ditching the mast & sails dream yet, though. Intuitively it would seem more possible to go green with renewables than diesel, but well.

We googled, with my wife Charlotte, all the boats suggested in this thread, and I have to say that it's quite difficult to get through her "is it beautiful" and "would I want to live in it" requirements.

At the moment the accepted candidates are:

Hanse 508 or 548
Privilege 510 or 580
Beneteau First 53
Outremer 5x
Seawind 1600
Oyster 565
Amel 50
Balance 526

The Garcia Exploration 52 was "ok if we really want to go where there is ice".

I didn't have time to show her the JPK 45, but I emailed them for more information.

(More and more I'm starting to think we should have something that requires as little as possible fossil fuels to operate.)
Old 15-11-2019, 13:27   #24

I still have to add that, interestingly enough, the Swan 48 is not on the "accepted" list.

We actually saw one in real life at the Southampton show (more about that here), but we weren't that impressed. (Sighs. Sorry, Finland.)

I'm absolutely certain it sails much better than any of the Hanses, but we're not the family looking to participate in the offshore races (or even the club regattas)-- we're the family who wants to safely, and relatively smoothly, enjoy being out there.

In a sense, it actually felt a bit outdated. Not with regard to construction, material, performance, but with regard to the current market of people wanting to sail.
Old 22-11-2019, 18:28   #25

The new Seawind 1600 looks to be making some waves.
https://180marine.com/seawind-1600

Boreal would make my list
https://www.boreal-yachts.com/?lang=en

Rustler
https://www.rustleryachts.com/

Hutting to add some class
https://www.hutting-yachts.com/en/

I would prefer a used Amel 54 over the new offerings
https://www.devalk.nl/en/yachtbroker...0/AMEL-54.html

Hallberg-Rassy
https://www.hallberg-rassy.com/

Outbound 46
https://outboundyachts.com/outbound-46/introduction-46/
daysgoneby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 15:30   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol1970 View Post
We are most likely heading over to check out some boats as well. The boats on our current short list are: Privilege's new 510, FP47, Leopoard 50P, Leopard 45, Seawind 1600, Oyster 565, Amel 50/55, Balance 526.

Because we want to do some higher latitude sailing as well we may end up with a monohull, up into Sweden and Norway it gets a little more challenging to have a cat. Hard telling though, something else might really catch our eye, or be an incredible deal once we pull the trigger.
Many Catamaran manufactuers will insulate the boat for you.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 15:45   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
I like Simi60's arguments I'm not ditching the mast & sails dream yet, though. Intuitively it would seem more possible to go green with renewables than diesel, but well.

We googled, with my wife Charlotte, all the boats suggested in this thread, and I have to say that it's quite difficult to get through her "is it beautiful" and "would I want to live in it" requirements.

At the moment the accepted candidates are:

Hanse 508 or 548
Privilege 510 or 580
Beneteau First 53
Outremer 5x
Seawind 1600
Oyster 565
Amel 50
Balance 526

The Garcia Exploration 52 was "ok if we really want to go where there is ice".

I didn't have time to show her the JPK 45, but I emailed them for more information.

(More and more I'm starting to think we should have something that requires as little as possible fossil fuels to operate.)
There are some canoes with cotton sails and wood mast available.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 16:16   #28

Boat: Riva 48

I would approach the dream the following way.

First, how long do you intend to cruise for? Six months? One year? Or many years.

Next, you have two options, buy new and take the depreciation hit or buy second hand and take the increased maintenance expense.

Next, do understand that most modern boats (last 10 years) are very similar. They have modern hull shapes, sail easy and well, have good light inside and look fresh. The most innovative boats come from Beneteau as they are the volume leader and dominate the market.

Halberg Rassy is the volume leader for capable cruising boats but they are slow to innovate and generally a bit slower than the average. However, their build quality is close to unrivaled.

In terms of amenities, you need to focus on draft, light and size of the head. Everything else is easy these days. Tankage is irrelevant as you can have multiple watermakers. A washing machine, diesel heater, generator are all easy to retrofit and come in different sizes. Solar is a personal preference but most larger boats do very well with a generator and you can have electric cooking, smart TVs, anything that you have at home. Internet at sea is pretty much a solved problem these days with Iridium Certus. So you can have it all for relatively little money.

If you will be reselling the boat in a couple of years time I would suggest you stay with a high volume vendor (Beneteau, Hanse, HR) as these are easier to buy and sell.

You can go as low as 30 ft (my H31 has most of the things you listed or as high as 60 ft). The choice will be made by your wife most likely.

My dream boat used to be a HR around 42 ft but I started moving away from HR when I saw the innovative designs of Beneteau (e.g. Sense, large windows, a nice swim platform). I do not find boat shows that useful. Go around the marina and pay a visit to the other boats. Or go to the ARC and tour the boats. Will be very revealing.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 17:52   #29

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post

Next, you have two options, buy new and take the depreciation hit or buy second hand and take the increased maintenance expense.

New boat old boat all need maintenance.
Buying new doesn't magically stop regular maintenance requirements.

For us, the difference between recently refitted second hand and new will pay for several lifetimes worth of paid maintenance and fuel.
The new vessel would have that paid maintenance and fuel as an extra on top of the high initial and rapidly depreciating purchase cost.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 22:48   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
There are some canoes with cotton sails and wood mast available.
But do they have dish washers?? 😄
mglonnro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat