Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2021, 09:20   #16

Boat: 40' Maine Cat
Re: Snake on a boat

Had a slithery stow away a couple months ago after anchoring up a pretty little creek in the Cyprus Bayous of North Carolina. It was about 6 or 7’ and I assume it came aboard via a sugar scoop. It took up residence in s forepeak hiding behind a bag full of electric bike. When I moved the electric bike it got rather upset and reared up hissing at me so I put the bike back in place and had a coffee while thinking about it. What would Steve Irwin do?
Taped a small tube to the end of a boat hook and made a snare thru it using parachute cord. Had my phone ready to get a photo but was afraid to take a hand off the snare once I cot ahold of him - he was extremely pissed off and aggressive. Stuck him and the boat hook out a side hatch and figured if I cut the cord he would just drop into the water and go away - WRONG! When I cut the cord he came up the boat hook after me so the whole ‘boat hook went out the side hatch in a panic with snake still attached. Not sure what kind of water snake he was but I was sure he would have bitten me given the chance. I was glad to be done with him.
jdaltonpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 09:25   #17

Boat: 2013 Aquila Power Cat

We had a water snake in our dinghy at Solomons, MA. There was nothing I could do to persuade it. It finally left on its own. I bought snake tongs after that. If you're concerned you have a live snake hiding, consider closing up the boat with Sun Pac gas bags.

https://www.acehardware.com/brands/s...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
lhuff35204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 09:41   #18

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Living in SC we have Water Moccasins. A friend had one get into his John boat so he grabbed his 22 out of his tackle box and blew a hole in the boat. Had that been me i doubt I'd tell anyone.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 10:05   #19

Boat: Baba 40

One word: Mongoose!
Sailshabby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 10:53   #20

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

Reminds me of the day in winter if 2000 that I stepped on my boat at the dock and was greeted by. 7 ft python on the dash near the steering console. I nearly jumped out my skin.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 11:06   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

Good snake = oxymoron

There are only two things in the world I fear dentists and snakes!

Snakes are why God made the 410 shotgun! 😀😀😀
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 11:07   #22

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

I’m going to try to forget I ever read this. We are just so spoiled in UK…
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 11:19   #23

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squanderbucks View Post
Reminds me of the day in winter if 2000 that I stepped on my boat at the dock and was greeted by. 7 ft python on the dash near the steering console. I nearly jumped out my skin.
That is scary in Fla.. At least the venomous are just afraid of you those may want to eat you.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 11:28   #24

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Three snake stories:

Anchored in the Lau Group of Fiji. One morning Judy got up and went to the head. I then heard a loud scream "Snake!" which got my adrenalin going so I screamed too. Our neighbors though we were having a fight. I ran to the head and found her with her feet pulled up and a yellow and black banded sea snake coiled on the sole in front of her. Judy had opened her sleepy eyes and saw it between her feet. Hense the scream. I grabbed a aluminum yard stick and pinned it down while I cut its head off with a kitchen knife with the other hand. We surmised it came up the anchor chain and fell through a hatch into the head (luckily not ON our head.

Also in Fiji, in Suva Harbor, I was in my dingy talking to a lady in another cruising boat and she calmly said, "Do you know you have a snake in your dingy with you?" OMG there it was on the floor of the dingy, another black and yellow banded sea snake. I sped to the nearby dock (with my feet up) and then jumped out of the dingy and tried with and oar to get this wiggling snake out of the dingy and not having much success. A little Fijian boy stepped into the dingy and picked it up with his hands and tossed it into the water. Apparently they don't bite but would be deadly if they did.

My friend Bill Hansen woke up one morning anchored in Mazatlan Harbor and found a 6' Boa coiled around his wind vane.

Oh, one more: In Nuie in the S.Pacific the green sea snakes are so thick that when you snorkle they swim all around you, quite close at times looking right into your swim mask. Not biting however, good thing too because they are also poisenous.

Me, I don't like snakes.
Old 24-10-2021, 11:54   #25
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

There are no poisonous snakes, just venomous (you can drink venom unharmed)

There are no bad snakes… even the venomous snakes are good snakes

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 11:56   #26

i lived on the st johns river and yes snakes do get on boats
amfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 12:17   #27

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I had to evict a sea snake in the Bali Marina that must have come up the cockpit drain and into the aft cabin. The Admiral was a wee bit upset when she found it. I made a snare out of my boat fishing rod and dropped it back over the side with no drama.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 12:23   #28

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyrouse View Post
Well, I’ve been on and around boats for more than I care to think about, but I haven’t heard this one.
Yesterday I was a retrieving a wrench that had slipped under the bunk board in the forward vee berth. I noticed something that at first appeared to be a section of braid-reinforced hose. Couldn’t account for that particular hose, then I realized- it was a snake skin. No snake.
I have no idea how long it had been there. It got my attention- about five feet long.
When I was in a marina on Broad Creek near Oriental, North Carolina another boater with a small sailboat with a swim platform had a snake that kept coming back. Every time he would come to the boat he would chase it out of the cockpit and every time he came back again the snake was back. He finally had to kill it to get rid of it.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 24-10-2021, 12:27   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
There are no bad snakes… even the venomous snakes are good snakes
A venomous snake wrapped around your wife's leg might not belong in the "good" category .
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 12:34   #30

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfinlandia View Post
When I was in a marina on Broad Creek near Oriental, North Carolina another boater with a small sailboat with a swim platform had a snake that kept coming back. Every time he would come to the boat he would chase it out of the cockpit and every time he came back again the snake was back. He finally had to kill it to get rid of it.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Maybe it had a crush on him?
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat