Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2012, 05:27   #61

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Re: Small Craft Sailing to Dry Tortugas in December

While traveling between Mk and DT there are 2 spots that have something sticking out of the water. The first spot is sunkun ship, it is a 50+ ft steel hull ship that has a mast sticking out of the water about 20 ft into the air, visible from MK on a clear day. The boat is located about 6-7 miles west of MK, if you look at a curent GPS marine map, it shows as a wreak that is also a nav hazard. The 2nd spot is an old target area where I believe they used to place targets on steel I beems that are still visable sticking 2-3 ft into the air. These are of much concern to me because they are not obvious on the maps I have and I have almost hit them on 2 different ocations. The old wreak is worth exploring, I like to dive this wreak, there are lots of fish, usallly clear water if wind isn't blowing to hard. The water is only 20 ft deep so snorkaling is very easy.
While I have traveled this area extensively in all times of the year, I have never seen any active bombing going on. There are times when you will see military planes flying around and USCG flying around but they are certianly not a threat. The other things you will see while traveling between MK and DT is lots of lobster boats checking there pots, other travelers going between KW and DT, and when you get closer to DT you will see shrimp boats. This is a very active fishing area. If you can speak spanish, it will help if you need assistance from any of the local fisherman. While traveling this route, you most certainly will not be alone but getting assistance from someone that you are not in contact with may be the callange. If you are not a member of activecaptain, sign up, it should show you exactly all of the areas that I am commenting on. It is a very valuable resourse, and it is free.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 06:03   #62

Boat: Long Haul Mark II Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
While traveling between Mk and DT there are 2 spots that have something sticking out of the water. The first spot is sunkun ship, it is a 50+ ft steel hull ship that has a mast sticking out of the water about 20 ft into the air, visible from MK on a clear day. The boat is located about 6-7 miles west of MK, if you look at a curent GPS marine map, it shows as a wreak that is also a nav hazard. The 2nd spot is an old target area where I believe they used to place targets on steel I beems that are still visable sticking 2-3 ft into the air. These are of much concern to me because they are not obvious on the maps I have and I have almost hit them on 2 different ocations. The old wreak is worth exploring, I like to dive this wreak, there are lots of fish, usallly clear water if wind isn't blowing to hard. The water is only 20 ft deep so snorkaling is very easy.
While I have traveled this area extensively in all times of the year, I have never seen any active bombing going on. There are times when you will see military planes flying around and USCG flying around but they are certianly not a threat. The other things you will see while traveling between MK and DT is lots of lobster boats checking there pots, other travelers going between KW and DT, and when you get closer to DT you will see shrimp boats. This is a very active fishing area. If you can speak spanish, it will help if you need assistance from any of the local fisherman. While traveling this route, you most certainly will not be alone but getting assistance from someone that you are not in contact with may be the callange. If you are not a member of activecaptain, sign up, it should show you exactly all of the areas that I am commenting on. It is a very valuable resourse, and it is free.
signing up right now. Thank you.
Old 17-02-2012, 06:55   #63
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoiNomazi

yes, the amas are the inflatables and the akas are the tubes connecting them to the bost.

our akas are in fact one cross bar made of three aluminum pieces that connects the amas and is also connected to the mast through the mast partner. While anything can brake, if the akas break that means some serious
pounding.

The amas are more vulnerable to prolonged stress than the akas and I am
considering re-enforcing the ama connection to the aka. I am also thinking about replacing the inflatable amas with skin over frame ones, or even aluminum ones.

Do you think the target areas might be used on Christmas? I think island hop is very appealing.

Do you still want to try it?... Check your schedule in December..

Thank you.
Thanks for the offer, but I will pass. One issue is that I sold off my kayaks anticipating that the condo would be sold and I would have a large boat by now.... Oooops! The sail rig was designed by Mark Balogh, Mark sold Balogh Sail Designs to Dave. After my aka failed, Dave developed a means of hardening them with an inner tube. Contact him.... You have to be careful when you harden the akas as you simply move the failure point from one spot to another. The akas will take a steady strain, they fail when you bury the bow in a following or quartering sea.

Bill
F/K/A SnoreBringGator
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 08:40   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Thanks for the offer, but I will pass. One issue is that I sold off my kayaks anticipating that the condo would be sold and I would have a large boat by now.... Oooops! The sail rig was designed by Mark Balogh, Mark sold Balogh Sail Designs to Dave. After my aka failed, Dave developed a means of hardening them with an inner tube. Contact him.... You have to be careful when you harden the akas as you simply move the failure point from one spot to another. The akas will take a steady strain, they fail when you bury the bow in a following or quartering sea.

Bill
F/K/A SnoreBringGator
yes, I bought my rig from Dave. The folding yak is pretty flexible and it dissipates the stress caused by sudden impact somewhat gently.

I guess we'll be alone on this journey too... Whatever is meant to happen, will most probably happen anyway.

Thank you for all the info and Happy Sails on your larger boat when you'll decide to get it!
Old 17-02-2012, 17:39   #65

I am planning on doing this trip in May in a 17' Temptest 170. The only advice I can offer to is ensure you enough experience paddling your boat in openwater under all weather conditions. I've been training for this by going on 30-40 mile paddles out into the Atlantic.(I live in Jacksonville)
TomM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 18:04   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM View Post
I am planning on doing this trip in May in a 17' Temptest 170. The only advice I can offer to is ensure you enough experience paddling your boat in openwater under all weather conditions. I've been training for this by going on 30-40 mile paddles out into the Atlantic.(I live in Jacksonville)
Thank you. Once floating with the rig set for sailing, "Jacta Alea Est!", paddling becomes second choice because of the cross bar.

It seems more and more like a "do or die" type of journey...

Good luck with your trip! I'll be happy to read your story and learn from it.
Old 18-02-2012, 06:59   #67
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoiNomazi

paddling becomes second choice because of the cross bar.

It seems more and more like a "do or die" type of journey...
it.
Consider using a ZRE canoe paddle or build an Inuit storm paddle. Both are designed to be paddled on one side of the boat. This allows a full strike without the aka being an issue. If you go for the ZRE get the medium, the ultra light is very sensitive to anything but water.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 07:41   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Consider using a ZRE canoe paddle or build an Inuit storm paddle. Both are designed to be paddled on one side of the boat. This allows a full strike without the aka being an issue. If you go for the ZRE get the medium, the ultra light is very sensitive to anything but water.
I can also try to convert the 2 piece paddles by adding/improvising a T handle.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:20   #69

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Check out this site: Trip West of Key West
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:31   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Check out this site: Trip West of Key West
thank you.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:39   #71

Not at all as demanding as the KW to DT, but we tested a bit more our boat in the Danube Delta and on the Black Sea.

Letters from the Black Sea - 2012 (Epistulae Ex Ponto - 2012) on Vimeo

This is the story of the first Long Haul Mark II Commando folding kayak that went to Europe for a 12 day journey in the Danube Delta and on the Black Sea. The 149 nautical miles adventure takes the Two Nomads from Murighiol in the Danube Delta to the ancient port of Tomis on the Black Sea. Echoing thoughts of the Roman poet Ovid, who was exiled to the ancient port of Tomis, this 76 minute video diary takes you on a ride aboard their kayak... Enjoy!

Tags
dry tortugas, Kayak, sailing, tandem