Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2021, 17:02   #286

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Silver + Gold stacking while cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
https://nypost.com/2021/04/07/the-us-states-that-are-using-covid-19-vaccine-passports/

You must have read a different article. This one says nothing about groceries.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2021, 02:32   #287

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
These ATM’s do cash to Bitcoin and the other way around.
And regular ATMs do cash to cash...and even in horrible inflationary situations have no where close to the volatility of bitcoin.

Do you honestly believe, they have no means of tracking your transactions?
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2021, 03:20   #288

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
And regular ATMs do cash to cash...and even in horrible inflationary situations have no where close to the volatility of bitcoin.

Do you honestly believe, they have no means of tracking your transactions?
They actually don’t. All they require is a phone number. I have used these traveling internationally before. The ATM fees are outrageous, however. It’s extremely expensive to use these.
Chotu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2021, 05:17   #289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
They actually don’t. All they require is a phone number. I have used these traveling internationally before. The ATM fees are outrageous, however. It’s extremely expensive to use these.
Funny how the last 20-30 countries I've been too require your passport to get a SIM card (and associated phone number)...so much for anonymous.

And now on top of wild volatility, you have high fees (supposedly one of the big advantages bitcoin was supposed to address).

PS: what happens if you die and didn't notify someone of the account and associated phone number? With bank accounts, they tie it back to your SSN, so your heirs can find the account.
Old 16-11-2021, 06:34   #290
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Nowhere in that article are groceries mentioned.

Covid passports in Europe are evidence of vaccination, recent testing, or recovery from the disease. Any one of these allows the holder to visit certain establishments and events which require it -- generally restaurants, bars, and public events. Never heard of such a thing being required to buy groceries.
I wish that was true… many are following Austria with so called 2G checks. Being healthy and test negative isn’t good enough to be allowed into shops or even out on the streets. Apartheid.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2021, 07:01   #291

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Funny how the last 20-30 countries I've been too require your passport to get a SIM card (and associated phone number)...so much for anonymous.

And now on top of wild volatility, you have high fees (supposedly one of the big advantages bitcoin was supposed to address).

PS: what happens if you die and didn't notify someone of the account and associated phone number? With bank accounts, they tie it back to your SSN, so your heirs can find the account.
Come on. That’s not very inventive of you. If you are trying to have anonymity, you don’t have to use the phone number from the SIM attached to your passport. Geez.

Just use a different one. Anything will do. It’s just a little text message that goes to your phone during the ATM withdrawal process.

I’m not here to convince anyone to use bitcoin. Just pointing out obvious errors in peoples posts.

And yeah. I was also complaining about the outrageous fees on the bitcoin ATMs. They are like highway robbery. They are awful. We are talking 10% or so.

If you die, your Bitcoin goes with you to heaven. Didn’t you know that? Lol
Old 16-11-2021, 07:15   #292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Come on. That’s not very inventive of you. If you are trying to have anonymity, you don’t have to use the phone number from the SIM attached to your passport. Geez.

Just use a different one. Anything will do. It’s just a little text message that goes to your phone during the ATM withdrawal process.

I’m not here to convince anyone to use bitcoin. Just pointing out obvious errors in peoples posts.

And yeah. I was also complaining about the outrageous fees on the bitcoin ATMs. They are like highway robbery. They are awful. We are talking 10% or so.

If you die, your Bitcoin goes with you to heaven. Didn’t you know that? Lol
Where are you getting a phone number not attached to you (don't forget, they can track IP addresses if you are using websites fake a number to get an SMS)?

If it was as easy as suggested, every drug lord would be using it to move money in and out of the country...don't believe for a second that the customs folks around the world are that dumb.

PS: Your last comment is the fatal flaw with bitcoin. There is a limited number and any time a coin is lost, it is lost forever...this means it is designed to go into perpetual deflation. With fiat currency, the govt can induce inflation to pull out of deflation (yes, taken to the extreme this can have it's own problems). The problem with deflation is people are less likely to use/sell it, which drives further deflation...in a downward spiral. Eventually, it will hit a cliff where it has no practical use and ever increasing deflation makes it less likely to be used/sold until the market for it freezes and goes off a cliff. Honestly, most owners aren't using it as currency now. They are using it as a speculative investment. Also, currently, the deflation is mitigated to some degree as new coins are "mined" but as mining winds down, that effect will dissipate.
Old 16-11-2021, 14:33   #293

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

Quote:
I wish that was true… many are following Austria with so called 2G checks. Being healthy and test negative isn’t good enough to be allowed into shops or even out on the streets. Apartheid.
No, it's not apartheid in the sense that that system that existed in S. Africa persecuted black South Africans because of their skin color, which they could not change of course. (by the way, this is pretty basic stuff you should already be aware of at your age.)

On the other hand, the unvaccinated can just take the damn shot and stop bitching about it.

So, any fool can see, they are not even slightly comparable.
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 07:25   #294
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanbigel View Post
No, it's not apartheid in the sense that that system that existed in S. Africa persecuted black South Africans because of their skin color, which they could not change of course. (by the way, this is pretty basic stuff you should already be aware of at your age.)

On the other hand, the unvaccinated can just take the damn shot and stop bitching about it.

So, any fool can see, they are not even slightly comparable.
You don’t understand that I am talking on segregation based on vaccination and not about racial segregation? Bless your heart.

Let me refine it for you: apartheid v2.0

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 08:03   #295
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Just in time for the "Great Reset".

In China if you post wrongthink on Social media, your credit cards can suddenly stop working.

The US is trying to get away from cash also (for Covid), and some States require a "Covid passport" to buy groceries.

Classic nonsense based bogeyman argument
Old 17-11-2021, 08:10   #296
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
You don’t understand that I am talking on segregation based on vaccination and not about racial segregation? Bless your heart.

Let me refine it for you: apartheid v2.0

It’s isn’t apartheid , it is a form of discrimination as apartheid is specifically about racial discrimination

I also agree it’s discrimination.

Here in Greece there was a national strike yesterday in protest over shops having to police Covid vaccine checks. The local town was completely shut down ( except supermarkets , which don’t have to check )
Old 17-11-2021, 12:26   #297

Boat: Bene 42CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
So Angela Merkle flies to England to meet up with everybody.
She arrives at the hotel, gives the desk clerk $200 and asks to see her room. The desk clerk gives her the keys and tells her her room is on the 10th floor.
While she is going up the elevator, the desk clerk hurries next door to pay his bookie the $200 he owes him from last nights bet.
The bookie takes the $200 and runs over to the corner to pay off the hooker he was with the previous night.
The hooker takes the $200 and goes to the hotel to pay the hotel clerk the $200 she owes him for allowing here the use of a hotel room while conducting her bizness.
Just then Angela Merkel comes back down stairs, tells the clerk she didn't like the room, takes her $200 and leaves.
Everybody has been paid off, and Angela Merkel has her money back.
And that my friends, is how the economy works.
This is absurd. What hotel in England allows you to transact in cash US Dollars?
Hhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 13:04   #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hhew View Post
This is absurd. What hotel in England allows you to transact in cash US Dollars?
The ones that allow hookers of course. Ha ha ha
Old 17-11-2021, 13:16   #299

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hhew View Post
Call me crazy, but I rather suspect that the point of the post was not so much about the currency used but rather more about the allegory.

I also suspect that MicHughV would be willing to allow us to substitute the word Pound for Dollars. He might even be willing to allow us to use Pounds Sterling!
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 13:34   #300

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
Call me crazy, but I rather suspect that the point of the post was not so much about the currency used but rather more about the allegory.

I also suspect that MicHughV would be willing to allow us to substitute the word Pound for Dollars. He might even be willing to allow us to use Pounds Sterling!
And also
$200 does not have to be US dollars. That symbol is used for lots of different dollars. It is even used for pesos Chileano.
https://www.jumbo.cl/ron-havana-club...os-40-700-ml/p
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising