Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2021, 03:22   #271

Re: Silver + Gold stacking while cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Most of Asia, and 3rd world will gladly trade a few gold coins for a handful of the local currency, or a bag of groceries. (outside big box franchise stores in USA, or Europe).
Which countries are these. I've yet to find one.

Now I'm sure if you offer an ounce of gold for a bowl noodle soup...they might take the risk but I wouldn't count on it.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 03:26   #272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
A very irritating glitch with the European card systems is that some European POS systems don't take non-European or even sometimes non-national cards, and many of them don't take cards which don't have chips. This is actually fairly common with, of all things, fuel docks.
They seem to be upping the ante.

A few years ago, not having a chip card was sometimes an issue as they didn't like swiping the magnetic strip.

Now it's rare for an American card not to have a chip but Europe has moved on to RFID cards.

So far it's just funny looks as the machines largely have a slot but probably over the next 3-4yrs, those will start to go away.

It's worth keeping up on but not a huge issue.
Old 15-11-2021, 03:29   #273

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Crypto… which was said not to be accepted anywhere earlier in the thread. I’ve shown ATM’s with Bitcoin in Walmart and now on-line shopping to accept it.
So an ATM owned and operated by a bank...why not just use the bank because you can bet they are reporting the crypto bitcoin transactions.
Old 15-11-2021, 03:33   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstendenmark View Post
That was not good, Dockhead. I feel for you.
Deposit banks are only good up to 100K €, as I know it.
That's why I split my stashes between Switzerland, Denmark and a third country.
The USA upped it to $250k and as a couple with a joint account it's $500k...way more than we would ever have in a bank account.
Old 15-11-2021, 04:34   #275
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Silver + Gold stacking while cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
They seem to be upping the ante.

A few years ago, not having a chip card was sometimes an issue as they didn't like swiping the magnetic strip.

Now it's rare for an American card not to have a chip but Europe has moved on to RFID cards.

So far it's just funny looks as the machines largely have a slot but probably over the next 3-4yrs, those will start to go away.

It's worth keeping up on but not a huge issue.

Europe is now largely completely contactless. In Greece in order to limit the cash economy every shop ( absolutely everyone ) has to accept cards. I pay using Apple Pay for a bag of potato chips !! In Greece atm withdrawals are very expensive
Old 15-11-2021, 06:10   #276

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
You've bought stuff in shops with gold coins in "most of Asia and 3rd world"? Do tell.
The last time i was in Asia 2010, and previous in 1990's, gold, and silver was freely traded at the spot price, I visited several southeast Asian countries same situation if you new where to look.

The venders had a tester to insure legitimacy. And a scale.

Most Asians hord gold, and silver because of frequent currency issues.

No Walmart Hong Kong won't accept gold, neither will Singapore McDonald's.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 06:33   #277

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Europe is now largely completely contactless. In Greece in order to limit the cash economy every shop ( absolutely everyone ) has to accept cards. I pay using Apple Pay for a bag of potato chips !! In Greece atm withdrawals are very expensive

Yes, all of Europe is going that way. Sweden is in the process of eliminating all cash!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 06:52   #278

Quote:
Yes, all of Europe is going that way. Sweden is in the process of eliminating all cash!
Just in time for the "Great Reset".

In China if you post wrongthink on Social media, your credit cards can suddenly stop working.

The US is trying to get away from cash also (for Covid), and some States require a "Covid passport" to buy groceries.
Old 15-11-2021, 06:59   #279

Quote:
Just in time for the "Great Reset".

In China if you post wrongthink on Social media, your credit cards can suddenly stop working.

The US is trying to get away from cash also (for Covid), and some States require a "Covid passport" to buy groceries.
China might be true...but no US state requires a "covid passport" (or any similar document) to go to the grocery store.

Of course, this is up there with the idea you can buy groceries with gold...theoretically, yes but practically, no. (I've been to a half dozen Asian countries along with several other 3rd world countries and no one is buying things with gold.)
Old 15-11-2021, 07:25   #280

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

Quote:
Please provide a citation - I live in the states and no one I know has to show proof of vaccination to buy groceries.

I would appreciate it personally if you could educate us about where exactly this grocery store is which requires proof of vaccination, otherwise, I will have to assume you are making this up. Thank you for your cooperation.
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 07:32   #281

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanbigel View Post
Please provide a citation - I live in the states and no one I know has to show proof of vaccination to buy groceries.

I would appreciate it personally if you could educate us about where exactly this grocery store is which requires proof of vaccination, otherwise, I will have to assume you are making this up. Thank you for your cooperation.

We just completed a circle of the western US by car. Nowhere along the route were we asked about our vaccination status.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 10:32   #282
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
So an ATM owned and operated by a bank...why not just use the bank because you can bet they are reporting the crypto bitcoin transactions.
These ATM’s do cash to Bitcoin and the other way around.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 13:44   #283

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanbigel View Post

https://nypost.com/2021/04/07/the-us-states-that-are-using-covid-19-vaccine-passports/
Old 15-11-2021, 14:04   #284

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
https://nypost.com/2021/04/07/the-us-states-that-are-using-covid-19-vaccine-passports/
While there are requirements for some facilities, buying groceries is not one of those, or at least not as of now in New York. I live in the People's Republic of New York and outside of New York City, almost no one checks on status or even requires one to wear a mask. In NYC, the apparatchiks enforce it more in the city (Manhattan) and less so in the outer four boroughs. Additionally, as the evenings wear on, the enforcement gets less and less.

In NYC, you are supposed to have a "vaccination" card to enter gyms, bars and restaurants, and a very few additional similar locations. Some check, many do not. As time goes on, people stop worrying and check such things less and less.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 16:01   #285

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:

Nowhere in that article are groceries mentioned.

Covid passports in Europe are evidence of vaccination, recent testing, or recovery from the disease. Any one of these allows the holder to visit certain establishments and events which require it -- generally restaurants, bars, and public events. Never heard of such a thing being required to buy groceries.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising