Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2019, 08:06   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Southern California
Boat: Antares 44 catamaran
Posts: 105
silver silver chloride half cell

Where can I buy a silver silver chloride half cell? The kind with a long cable that I drop in the water and plug the other end into the neg of a multi-meter and use to test voltage potentials around my boat.

I see the thread about making one, but I can't seem to find a source that sells them for this application.

Thanks in advance
RickyEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:11   #2
Registered User
 
Sailmonkey's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston
Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Posts: 8,009
Re: silver silver chloride half cell

Hereís where I got mine

https://www.boatzincs.com/corrosion-...electrode.html
Sailmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:16   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Panama, Central America
Boat: CT 49, 1989
Posts: 853
Re: silver silver chloride half cell

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyEM View Post
Where can I buy a silver silver chloride half cell? The kind with a long cable that I drop in the water and plug the other end into the neg of a multi-meter and use to test voltage potentials around my boat.

I see the thread about making one, but I can't seem to find a source that sells them for this application.

Thanks in advance
Try boatzincs.com
Q Xopa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:27   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Southern California
Boat: Antares 44 catamaran
Posts: 105
Re: silver silver chloride half cell

Thanks!

That is where I get my zincs
RickyEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:36   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Panama, Central America
Boat: CT 49, 1989
Posts: 853
Re: silver silver chloride half cell

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyEM View Post
Thanks!

That is where I get my zincs
Q Xopa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:58   #6
Senior Cruiser
 
GordMay's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 38,338
Images: 241
Re: silver silver chloride half cell

ProMariner, #20008, 20' Cable with Silver/Silver Chloride Half Cell (AG/AGCL) and Userís Guide
$124.89 ☞ https://www.boatzincs.com/corrosion-...ode-specs.html


Oops! I should have followed Sailmonkey's link.
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:40   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 3
Re: silver silver chloride half cell

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
ProMariner, #20008, 20' Cable with Silver/Silver Chloride Half Cell (AG/AGCL) and Userís Guide
$124.89 ☞ https://www.boatzincs.com/corrosion-...ode-specs.html


Oops! I should have followed Sailmonkey's link.
Corrpro.com
Farwestcorrosion.com
mesaproducts.com
edi-cp.com
forgol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:59   #8
Senior Cruiser
 
GordMay's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 38,338
Images: 241
Re: silver silver chloride half cell

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, forgol.
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:16   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cruising, now in USVIs
Boat: Taswell 43
Posts: 687
Re: silver silver chloride half cell

Once you have the half cell.....how do you use it? I understand plugging it into the (-) terminal on a digital VOM, then connect/touch the (+) probe to an operating piece of DC equipment, and record the reading for each piece of on-board DC equipment. And the one/ones with a significantly higher reading is likely leaking DC power to the water?......But where do you touch with the (+) probe? The (-) power connection, the (+) power connection, the (metal) body, or??? Any advice/information would be very much appreciated, as I seem to have an issue on the f/g boat that is knocking bottom paint off the thru-hulls.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:38   #10
Registered User
 
Boatyarddog's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Olympia, Wa
Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-(Oberly build) - Hull 202
Posts: 1,073
Images: 2
Re: silver silver chloride half cell

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcrazy View Post
Once you have the half cell.....how do you use it? I understand plugging it into the (-) terminal on a digital VOM, then connect/touch the (+) probe to an operating piece of DC equipment, and record the reading for each piece of on-board DC equipment. And the one/ones with a significantly higher reading is likely leaking DC power to the water?......But where do you touch with the (+) probe? The (-) power connection, the (+) power connection, the (metal) body, or??? Any advice/information would be very much appreciated, as I seem to have an issue on the f/g boat that is knocking bottom paint off the thru-hulls.
Negative lead of your DVOM to Battery-/ Positive lead of your DVOM to lead of probe in the water, approx. 3 ft deep and 5 ft from the boat.
Millavolt Scale.
Looking for voltage changes when turning on circuit your testing, i.e. Anchor lite, ect.
Check directions for the exact procedure.
It's really quite easy.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 14:02   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 3
Re: silver silver chloride half cell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
Negative lead of your DVOM to Battery-/ Positive lead of your DVOM to lead of probe in the water, approx. 3 ft deep and 5 ft from the boat.
Millavolt Scale.
Looking for voltage changes when turning on circuit your testing, i.e. Anchor lite, ect.
Check directions for the exact procedure.
It's really quite easy.
SV Cloud Duster
I am not sure what is the structure you are protecting with galvanic anode CP (zinc) but you should connect your DVM negative (COM) to the Silver/Silver-Chloride (Ag/AgCl) reference electrode, and the positive to the structure. Select DC volt on the DVM. Lower the electrode into the water nearby the structure. I would recommend to have it not more than 2-3 feet away. Read the volt meter. If the read is more negative than -0.85 volt, your galvanic CP system working OK. If you read -0.8 V or less, your anodes either may not connected to the structure to be protected, or time to replace the zinc(s).
BTW: the reference electrode does not has to be Ag/AgCl, it can be Cu/CuSO4 or even zinc. I would try to borrow a reference electrode from some one, since they are not cheap. $ 200-400, depends on manufacturer, and model.
forgol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 15:06   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2015
Boat: R&C Leopard 40
Posts: 529
Re: silver silver chloride half cell

https://www.boatzincs.com/corrosion-...electrode.html

This is where I bought mine. I don't use it often, but to me it's an important tool. Also a way to build good will, by helping others test their boats. Instructions are simple and easy to follow. Especially important if you keep your boat plugged into shore power. I don't, but still think it's worth every penny. Don't forget a decent quality DVM is required.
__________________
-Chris
FlyingScot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 15:23   #14
Registered User
 
Boatyarddog's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Olympia, Wa
Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-(Oberly build) - Hull 202
Posts: 1,073
Images: 2
Re: silver silver chloride half cell

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgol View Post
I am not sure what is the structure you are protecting with galvanic anode CP (zinc) but you should connect your DVM negative (COM) to the Silver/Silver-Chloride (Ag/AgCl) reference electrode, and the positive to the structure. Select DC volt on the DVM. Lower the electrode into the water nearby the structure. I would recommend to have it not more than 2-3 feet away. Read the volt meter. If the read is more negative than -0.85 volt, your galvanic CP system working OK. If you read -0.8 V or less, your anodes either may not connected to the structure to be protected, or time to replace the zinc(s).
BTW: the reference electrode does not has to be Ag/AgCl, it can be Cu/CuSO4 or even zinc. I would try to borrow a reference electrode from some one, since they are not cheap. $ 200-400, depends on manufacturer, and model.
Thanks for the clarification!
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 15:24   #15
Senior Cruiser
 
GordMay's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 38,338
Images: 241
Re: silver silver chloride half cell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
Negative lead of your DVOM to Battery-/ Positive Negative/Common lead of your DVOM to lead of probe in the water, approx. 3 ft deep and 5 ft from the boat...
Allow at least 5 min, for the electrode to stabalise.



__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Copper Chloride in dinghy bottom paint? Bob Pullen Construction, Maintenance & Refit 25 03-10-2018 13:09
Home made silver/silver chloride half cell conachair Construction, Maintenance & Refit 16 07-12-2017 10:55
methylene chloride to remove interior paint from hull scherzoja Construction, Maintenance & Refit 17 04-07-2015 20:27
Cruise Half Year - Work Half Year? windsaloft Boat Ownership & Making a Living 70 15-06-2010 16:15
Bulk calcium chloride Bradley General Sailing Forum 3 18-06-2008 10:16

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:54.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.