Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2021, 07:53   #1

6 people rescued in 60 knots of wind and 20 ft seas 100 miles off California coast. 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.ya...115430118.html

Do you fellow sailors think this was a case of early abandonment of the ship? And also, what do you think caused this to happen? The vessel looks like a seaworthy vessel that doesn’t appear to be sinking. I know at this point it’s all speculation but I’d like to hear your theories.
Arthurgifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 08:00   #2

Boat: O'Day 40
Re: 6 people rescued in 60 knots of wind and 20 ft seas 100 miles off California coas

Broken arm, head injuries, taking on water.
Seems like they needed to get off.
Old 22-10-2021, 08:15   #3

Re: 6 people rescued in 60 knots of wind and 20 ft seas 100 miles off California coas

Who know why these thing show up in the news feeds when they do, but the rescue occurred June 19, 2021.

https://www.dvidshub.net/video/80427...-crescent-city

https://www.dvidshub.net/video/80710...-crescent-city

https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic...r-uscg-rescue/

If you do the FB thing (and read German):

https://m.facebook.com/barloventosch...ernal&mt_nav=0

Apparently she ran aground leaving WA, got hauled, repaired, launched, and left again 10 days later. Some speculation that there was damage from the grounding not caught during the repairs.
PippaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 08:25   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

I agree with bcboomer. It's not a matter of whether the boat could be saved. With an able and on-top-of-it crew it perhaps could be. The point is that the existing crew couldn't handle it, due not only to injuries to one person but exhaustion, exposure, and probably their skill level as well. Plenty of ocean sailors have transferred to waiting freighters and watched their boats float away. The boat is a trivial concern when safety is paramount.
Old 22-10-2021, 13:07   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I would imagine it was the woman who had the injuries, because they lifted her off first. Perhaps she was on her off watch and got tossed across the boat. (Lee cloth failure?) The dynamics would have been that the skipper really wanted her fixed up; she may also have been in shock. Likely loss of life or property is cause for a mayday.

Without steering capability, in big seas, the boat would be lying beam to and having waves break over it. This would be very scary, and the motion very unpleasant and tiring. 3 crew is pretty light for a 79 ft. boat. And, the distances are far, for falling onto stuff that may hurt you.

Kudos to the young Coastie in his first real rescue.

Ann
Old 22-10-2021, 17:28   #6

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

At the risk of advising people that already know ,the vast majority of well found vsl s at sea will far out last there crew’s ability ,it would appear that a large number of abandoned vsls are abandoned because the crew can’t cope ,this is just plain lack of experience and seamanship ,not the same thing,a bit of advice to those who wish to go off shore,and something I see rarely done ,is if you expect to abandon your vsl at sea try to lower your anchor and as much chain as possible over the bow and secure as best you can ,a couple of hundred feet and an anchor will help hold the vsl head to the sea and weather,it may also anchor the vsl if she comes ashore,saving lots of gear .⛵️⚓️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 08:50   #7

On the video it looks like they are trailing a warp or is it just something on the video.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 09:09   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie12 View Post
On the video it looks like they are trailing a warp or is it just something on the video.
The Coastie swimmer, in the interview video, mentions the trailing lines and says that he was able to grab one and board the boat, the only thing that kept him with the boat.
PippaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 09:28   #9

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

I am generally unsympathetic to people who want to get off of a vessel when they encounter miserable weather at sea. Too often it appears to simply be a matter of discomfort.

In this case however, getting an injured crew member to medical care probably justified the rescue, although the extent of her injuries was not clear.

But the captain and other four people? Could they not have stayed with the vessel and possibly saved it?

Unpleasant as it apparently was couldn't the crew have withstood those seas on a 79ft vessel until the storm passed and steerage regained?

It seems like quitting, to me.

I hope never to be in that situation, but if I am, I hope I have the courage to stay and try to save the vessel.
Old 23-10-2021, 09:36   #10

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I am sure from the Coast Guard's point of view, leaving any crew, even if they are healthy, on a disabled vessel, and a big one at that, in rough weather, makes no sense at all. Better to get everyone safe and have a tug come back another day when it's calm to retrieve the boat if possible, so you don't set yourself up for having to effect another rescue.

Again another example of amazing Coast Guard skills.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 09:59   #11

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I am sure from the Coast Guard's point of view, leaving any crew, even if they are healthy, on a disabled vessel, and a big one at that, in rough weather, makes no sense at all. Better to get everyone safe and have a tug come back another day when it's calm to retrieve the boat if possible, so you don't set yourself up for having to effect another rescue.

Again another example of amazing Coast Guard skills.
Makes sense - I guess once you call for help it would not necessarily be easy to retain control. Hard to get off a boat which is not sinking - but if it turns out you cannot stem the flood you wouldnt want to have to call for help again, would you? Depends how much water was coming on board.

Really if you are not there on the spot you cannot know what the skipper was facing & thinking at the time. At least if you can keep your AIS transponder going it will make it easier to see if the boat is still afloat later & come back to save the boat when the weather has passed - also makes it easier for others to salvage as well.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 10:09   #12

Boat: O'Day 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I am generally unsympathetic to people who want to get off of a vessel when they encounter miserable weather at sea. Too often it appears to simply be a matter of discomfort.

In this case however, getting an injured crew member to medical care probably justified the rescue, although the extent of her injuries was not clear.

But the captain and other four people? Could they not have stayed with the vessel and possibly saved it?

Unpleasant as it apparently was couldn't the crew have withstood those seas on a 79ft vessel until the storm passed and steerage regained?

It seems like quitting, to me.

I hope never to be in that situation, but if I am, I hope I have the courage to stay and try to save the vessel.
This is a wood boat built in 1932 with a recent grounding.
It was taking on water and I suspect some planks were sprung.
I don't think i is reasonable to expect the crew to stay with it in those conditions.

Schooner BARLOVENTO Lost?
Old 23-10-2021, 10:55   #13
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgifford View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.ya...115430118.html

Do you fellow sailors think this was a case of early abandonment of the ship? And also, what do you think caused this to happen? The vessel looks like a seaworthy vessel that doesn’t appear to be sinking. I know at this point it’s all speculation but I’d like to hear your theories.
I like reading these incidents and learning from them. I just wish there was a follow-up on what eventually happened to the vessel.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 10:56   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 6 people rescued in 60 knots of wind and 20 ft seas 100 miles off California coas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
This is a wood boat built in 1932 with a recent grounding.
It was taking on water and I suspect some planks were sprung.
I don't think i is reasonable to expect the crew to stay with it in those conditions.

Schooner BARLOVENTO Lost?
Agree.. the grounding for which she had repairs likely damaged some fastenings that were missed by the b'yard/surveyor? and the extreme conditions and punishment caused maybe a plank or two to be sprung..
Some folk I knew had that happen on their old timber live aboard motor yacht back in the 90's down the Med when they got caught in a screamer out of the Golf de Lyon... they reckoned she went down in just minutes and they lost everything including their cockatoo.. a real character.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 11:00   #15

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

My take is, those rescue swimmers have a bigger set of balls than me. For that matter the whole crew on those choppers.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, california, knot, rescue, wind