Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2010, 21:08   #16

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
I'd choose the 110 and 0 over the 95 and 90 for comfort!
But out on the water...a little breeze, all is good (and a/c works in both places.)
(Honestly, no offense meant by the culture remark, meant in jest-I think his was too)
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 21:22   #17

i cant imagine being in Florida june through september or so..... unless you love air conditioning.... There are a lot of pluses to Florida, but getting away from "showy", taxes, govt "in your face" problems etc wouldnt be some of them.... yet, if I had to choose between so cal and Fl... I'd choose Fl... closer to the bahamas than SO cal is to Sea of COrtez!
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 21:43   #18

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
They don't have state income tax though. And that seems to be where all the mail forwarding services are that will act as your agent and sign the documentation renewal while your halfway from nowhere on the boat..Fl may end up being my state of "res" before too long.
Hey, have you ever thought of moving to Vt? I know this great piece for sale! 120 acres, beautiful views, sunny southern exposiure, don't have to worry about the heat...seller wants to get on boat!
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 00:45   #19

Boat: 74 Tartan 34
I can only tell you my opinion and experience.
I moved to sw florida 2002 have 34 ft sloop. I keep it behind someones house for 250 or maybe 200 a month. This is on charlotte harbor. now we can really mostly day sail or if we get going early we can get to the west coast icw and anchorage. I dont see many sailing destinations-but hat depends on your time frame. there are few marinas and they are expensive. It looks like you have the money and that now would be a great time to buy a waterfront house. there is one right next to my dock ,been empty since Charley.
winter is sailing time I have sailed the past 3 weeks in winds 25 to 35 which it seems most people stay at home since there have been only a few others out here. when we get 10 kn then people come out and go 4 or 5 kn. There is a prejudice against sailors here and i think any type of boat big enough not to trailer also. the torist sno bird dependence makes this place less stable and the local government tries to grab torists, as we know this depends on the economy. low pay for many types of workers. we are medical which is better but it still depende on how many patients. winter has a full hospital summer is 1/2 full .
if you have time go to the bahamas.
Heat-i feel like i live in a moderate oven. ok it may get 95 but go outside and touch the fender on your car. then run inside to get ice for the burn. summer starts april-may and ends in november. we have light winds and those roaming electrical storms. I dont see people sailind in the summer. some say they do but i dont see them.
realestate is so cheap- iwant to leave so bad but i cant sell my house that i bought before the boom. there are over 1000 house on the market. insurance for my 1100 ft house with 2 car garage and pool is 1100 a year including flood taxes 900.
schools-interviewed at prep schoo; for job. was told fla was #46 and they did not teaxch calculus. that is sophmore stuff up north.
traffic is heavy in populated cities like ft myers or sarasota. not bad in punta gorda, portcharlotte or northport. but there is not much here to do esppecially for kids.
the east coast is mor where it is happening but then you have the city costs and traffic and people.
i am not the best authority but that is what i see.
I am from the NE. spent 7 years in annapolis and i am just about ready to give my house away to get back there rather then waste my life here.
up there you leave the dock- head which way the wind blows and find an anchorage.
it could be windier. yes the city problems are there so are colleges and hospitals.
I can go to a real marine and spend hours walking the docks. (no docks where i live in fl). I miss looking at the boats and talking to the other sailors.
research before you come. if your an out door person spent tome out doors in the summer. your clothes will be soaked quickly-that is an 8 month summer
IMHO
lostsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:39   #20

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasandre View Post
Expect it the same as vegas. 110 and no humidity or 95 and 90 % humidity.

thanks
Heh heh heh.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:15   #21

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
SW Florida

Been here 9 years! No other place compares, IMO. Approx. 4 week of 'cool' in the winter, 3-4 months of 'warm' in the summer. The rest is fantastic! Hot summers - Yep! But I've never been too hot in a swimsuit/tee shirt when on the boat - just jump in the water.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:16   #22

Boat: none...
Florida

thank you all for the replies, though we are still waiting for the moderator who seems to be holding back info on "california" (hey if you wanted to help how about recommending some places to live in So Cal. as there is still a good chance we will end up there. )

As far as Florida. It seems the Heat is a huge issue for many. Most dont seem to like it. A few do. and some cope as a trade off. As far as myselfI cant stand it under 60 degrees F. Matter of fact winters are too cold in Vegas, I like the summers more. My wife hates the summer here in Vegas. Loves So Cals weather(who doesnt) but despises the traffic , the snobbiness , and the "el chino's" with their suv's ,shaved heads and sunglasses worn backwards. Please keep the reply's coming.

Lostsoul- Thank you for your reply. A lot of valuable info there. Many have actually touted that area to me. You offered some great counterpoints. I like annapolis too if it was October year round. Seems like there are more snowbirds on the SW FLA than SE.

We do not want to be in a retirement type (snowbird) area if Florida is where we choose.
vegasandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:19   #23

Boat: none...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Been here 9 years! No other place compares, IMO. Approx. 4 week of 'cool' in the winter, 3-4 months of 'warm' in the summer. The rest is fantastic! Hot summers - Yep! But I've never been too hot in a swimsuit/tee shirt when on the boat - just jump in the water.

Thanks DOTDUN where are you in SW fla and are you finding it CAT friendly with your FP belize?

thanks
vegasandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:32   #24

I lived in "Flori" back in the 1980s and loved it. I've visited San Diego several times, and it's OK, but don't you get bored sailing up and down that coast? Florida offers limitless places to sail, including the Bahamas.

I'm not bothered by the heat (it's better than 10 below zero for days on end, like where I am now), but if it bothers you, being on the water should negate most of that.

You could also sail up to New England in the summer -- more awesome cruising grounds.

DGC
DavidGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:35   #25

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
I lived in a number of places in Florida before moving to NC. Where to live really depends on what you are looking for. If you want the ammenities of the big city life, the Tampa/St. Pete area and Miami-West palm area will have what you need. The panhandle and Jacksonville will be too cold if you think Vegas winters are too cold. If you want a more medium sized experience Sarasota or Daytona are pretty nice options. I'm not saying those specific cities but also in the surrounding areas. If you want out of the way Charlotte Harbor has a lot to offer. If you're looking for a bargain I would suggest the central east coast from about Stuart north to Cocoa/Merrit Island. With the shuttle program canceled and the pres just announcing he's killing the follow-on program there should be a lot of homes on the market in the northern part of that area fairly soon. Sailing in the Indian river lagoon is pretty nice between Cocoa and the south end of Melbourne. You will have to access the ocean through one of the three inlets or Port Canaveral.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 13:54   #26

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasandre View Post
Thanks DOTDUN where are you in SW fla and are you finding it CAT friendly with your FP belize?

thanks
Marco Island.....no more 'Cat' problems here than anywhere. I would say the Cat and skinny water go together quite well. Yeah, can't be hauled out at every marina, but Cat owners have gotten use to it.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 15:29   #27

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidGC View Post
I
I'm not bothered by the heat (it's better than 10 below zero for days on end, like where I am now), but if it bothers you, being on the water should negate most of that.

It can be a little rough between 10 am and 5 pm when the wind is 0 to 5.

If in a marina with 0 to 2 it can be pretty rough.

Drink lots of fluids.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 16:45   #28
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Wait till ya'll move to Florida. Depending on where you settle down, Cali is a polite name compared to the many of other names heard round these parts for California and Colombia.
Seriously, consider what the others say about the summers here. They can be oppressive.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 19:03   #29

Boat: Bristol 34
I don't actually live in Florida but my boat does and I'm on her as often as I can manage (usually one - two weeks each month).

There is a lot to consider and the midsummer heat is bad on some but bearable to most. I'm in and like the panhandle, but would love to be on the east coast closer to the Bahamas.

Folks are really nice and down-to-earth. No posers or pretenders and no "keeping up with the Jones" where I hang out.

Okay, the downside. Part of Florida is downright tacky and touristy. Crowded in many places in the spring and summer. No income tax but property taxes are much higher than Georgia (home) and Alabama - but much less than "Cali" (nope - never been there, don't care to go and don't even care how to spell it).

The Florida state and local governemnts seem fiscally responsible, bureaucracy is minimal, and generally everyone in goverment is pleasant and polite (unlike Georgia). Services (police, fire, EMS) are in my opinion excellent where I stay.

Taxes? My "antique" boat (1971) cost me $4.85 a year in tax. My dingy $14.44.

Schools are mostly decent (I have two teacher friends there) and kids seem pretty clean cut and well behaved.

Now the best part. Real estate prices were inflated for many years, but now have plummeted and there are MANY bargains to be had. Now is definately the time to buy property.

The only way you'll know if its right for you is to come spend the summer. If you can tolerate August, you'll probably love the rest of it.
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 19:19   #30

Boat: Island Packet 31 (35'), Black Squirrel
We are planning to get back to Florida. We grew up outside Buffalo and are now mid-Atlantic. We liked the Jacksonville area because it does get cold there. A couple of times in the winter you may get frost to keep the really large bugs back.

Having said that - the humidity is bad. If you can stay on your boat (within a mile or so of the ocean) it is comfortable. 5+ miles in and you have the worst of everything. It will rain about 2pm daily for about 30 minutes in the summer - just to kick it up a bit. Miami? A sauna from May-September.

Florida is a very relaxed and now really is the time to buy. Homes that are intercoastal or ocean that were running 1.5 million+ are in the 700,000. Some even below 500,000 and with good water access.

The major down side I see is the schools. You have to be very picky about where you live or go private. Both add to the costs. Also, as the kids become teenagers, there is a real push but the hospitality industry to bring them in to work. A large number of school dropouts ("Hey, I can get a job at...") or high school only. Keep the kids focused on college. (Of course, that is true most places).

Kefaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california, florida