Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2022, 20:07   #76

Boat: none...
Re: Should We Move to Florida or Southern California ?

a lot of good points there..
We have been in San Diego now for 10 years.
My oldest just graduated from Cal poly Slo.. probably up in your area.
middle kid is a baseball player in Utah and daughter is going to be a fresh at SDSU (shot down at cal poly and ucsb)
I do fish first and am a San Diego long range fisherman as well as local offshore guy. - that is my first love.. Tuna..
not much Tuna in Fla (blackfin dont count) but a lot of other great fishing of the east coast. Yellowfin are out more towards the Bahamas..

for me so far- SD- weather best in world and great offshore fishing but everything else (especially mindset) goes against me inner being.

FLa (jupiter area) prices almost expensive as so cal. 1 mill average house. my insurance on my rentals range from 3500-4000/yr.. not much savings overall
but I "fit in " better.. if that makes sense..

I do real estate(flip houses/broker) etc .. Fla is way better for real estate. more volume and opportunities. No one in so cal sells. unless they have to (prop 13 , impossible to build/red tape etc)

it is a strange dilemma even 12 years later.
I estimate our family moving from Vegas to SD in 2012 rather than to FLA has cost me 10 mill in biz at minimum.
but who cares about money?
as long as the kids are happy...
vegasandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2022, 04:22   #77

We moved from San Francisco (lived in the city proper, boat at Treasure Island) to St Pete FL in 2005. Initially, missed the benefits of a wonderful city. 17 years later, very happy with our decision. Cruising in Florida is much different - the ICW makes travel easy, similar to the Delta. Many places to just anchor and take a dinghy some place be it a state park or be it a waterside restaurant or bar. Sailing isnt great, but not awful either. But in my opinion, if you're a diehard sailor, FL won't really compare to SF or SD - they are just great sailing venues. But if your goal in sailing is to be out on the water for overnight, or maybe you're open to a powerboat of some type, California has limited cruising opportunities.

Complaints about Florida weather are overstated in my opinion. June to September are humid and rainy months but workable. In my neck of Florida, a hot day is 94 degrees with a heat index of around 102 due to humidity. I find weather in SD to be a bit cool most of the year (and San Francisco downright cold). Bugs are a problem around sundown in the summer, rarely all day long, and rarely during the dry months (October - May). I lived on my boat for several years in SF and had a number of storms that damaged boats. No direct hurricanes in our neighborhood of FL, though several tropical storms ao sort of a wash. But there is potential for catastrophic damage. If you've ever driven through a place after a Cat 4-5 has rolled through, it's simply amazing.

The expense, taxes, and crowded nature of California is a turnoff and will never return full time, but happy to visit. That said, San Diego County has some amazing outdoor opportunities with parks, bike paths, and a good culture of activity. Very cool place.

We have both been remote workers dor years and can live anywhere with a decent airport. Before choosing St Pete, we looked all over Florida. We liked pockets of the Miami area but just didn't find the right fit in our price range. We looked along the Atlantic coast but it felt pretty crowded with transplants form atlantic seaboard and was not a good fit for us even though we are both from thr NYC area. We like the gulf coast a lot. It's more laid back and accessible than the east coast of Florida. Our impression of the east coast was there were a lot of condos with owners who did everything in their power to own the beach. The beaches around St Pete area have made a concerted effort to keep the beaches public. Makes for a nice series of beach communities with a strong culture of locals.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2022, 05:10   #78

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Pick the one with the lowest number of mass shootings and the smallest number folks who believe there is going to be a zombie attack. So Oregon maybe
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2022, 08:25   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
We moved from San Francisco (lived in the city proper, boat at Treasure Island) to St Pete FL in 2005. Initially, missed the benefits of a wonderful city. 17 years later, very happy with our decision. Cruising in Florida is much different - the ICW makes travel easy, similar to the Delta. Many places to just anchor and take a dinghy some place be it a state park or be it a waterside restaurant or bar. Sailing isnt great, but not awful either. But in my opinion, if you're a diehard sailor, FL won't really compare to SF or SD - they are just great sailing venues. But if your goal in sailing is to be out on the water for overnight, or maybe you're open to a powerboat of some type, California has limited cruising opportunities.

Complaints about Florida weather are overstated in my opinion. June to September are humid and rainy months but workable. In my neck of Florida, a hot day is 94 degrees with a heat index of around 102 due to humidity. I find weather in SD to be a bit cool most of the year (and San Francisco downright cold). Bugs are a problem around sundown in the summer, rarely all day long, and rarely during the dry months (October - May). I lived on my boat for several years in SF and had a number of storms that damaged boats. No direct hurricanes in our neighborhood of FL, though several tropical storms ao sort of a wash. But there is potential for catastrophic damage. If you've ever driven through a place after a Cat 4-5 has rolled through, it's simply amazing.

The expense, taxes, and crowded nature of California is a turnoff and will never return full time, but happy to visit. That said, San Diego County has some amazing outdoor opportunities with parks, bike paths, and a good culture of activity. Very cool place.

We have both been remote workers dor years and can live anywhere with a decent airport. Before choosing St Pete, we looked all over Florida. We liked pockets of the Miami area but just didn't find the right fit in our price range. We looked along the Atlantic coast but it felt pretty crowded with transplants form atlantic seaboard and was not a good fit for us even though we are both from thr NYC area. We like the gulf coast a lot. It's more laid back and accessible than the east coast of Florida. Our impression of the east coast was there were a lot of condos with owners who did everything in their power to own the beach. The beaches around St Pete area have made a concerted effort to keep the beaches public. Makes for a nice series of beach communities with a strong culture of locals.
San Fran was a great town. I used to think it was NYC of the west and kind of cool..not so much these days . was up there earlier in the year.. all I can say is wow. I like the west coast of FLa too. it is less expensive in most of the areas (not naples) a little warmer than east coast and not as easy access to bahamas . I find the fishing better on the EC than WC for what I like to fish for as it is a long way to deeper water on the WC. But the inshore stuff on WC is great. WC is less quiet in most places too.
Have a old vegas nneighbor friend who was raised in Siesta key and moved back there (mom owns half the island lol) I liked it there too.
I am from NJ maybe that is why I feet home in Jupiter..lol
Not sure but it seems to fit me. Wife still isn't on board..
I feel like if I grudge here into moving there and she hates it then it will be my fault..as everything is my fault.. even 12 years later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
Pick the one with the lowest number of mass shootings and the smallest number folks who believe there is going to be a zombie attack. So Oregon maybe
Have you been to Portland? anyway pacific coastal NW is not for me. while the scenery is nice the weather is mostly terrible and the politics are way worse than the weather..
I would rather live in Nebraska or Arkansas..
Old 17-07-2022, 11:56   #80
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Im a transplant....Detroit, Mich. While there is plenty of water and boating activities around, Detroit has to be the armpit of the universe, plus it gets snow in winter.
Glad to be outa dere...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2022, 13:28   #81

Boat: 1999 Maxum 4100 SCA

Florida. East Coast. City of Melbourne, BUT not in Melbourne, look at the community of Viera.

-Cons
-- State politics (might be a plus for you)
-- Hurricanes, they happen, but you have plenty of warning and newer homes (Viera is very new) are designed for winds up to 120MPH.

-Pros
-- Property taxes and insurance are inline with good communities, and less (when factoring in inflation) than what I was paying in Poway, CA (just north of SD). As previously noted, No State Income Tax (we always say Thank you to Tourist, we love your $$)
-- Warm water
-- In the middle of it all on the east coast.
--- Two hours to St Augustine/Daytona Beach.
--- Three hours to Miami or Jacksonville.
--- Six hours to Key West.
.... for boating, just change hours to days for cruising speed trips.
-- Boating community is small but lively, from Red Neck Yacht club sandbar types to Cruisers, and Live aboards. NOTE: Between the BIG boating areas of New Smyrna Beach/Daytona Beach and Fort Pierce/Fort Lauderdale. So ... the availability of quality boat maintenance (engines/electronics) is limited and wait times can be long.
--- On the AICW (protected cruising the entire length of the east coast of Florida); Access to Atlantic Ocean via New Smyrna Beach/Ponce de Leon Inlet; Port Canaveral; Sebastian Inlet. Access to the Gulf Coast via Lake Okeechobee. Another great trip is down the St Johns River. Direct Port Canaveral to West End in the Bahamas (140nm) or head south first to Fort Pierce/Fort Lauderdale/ Miami and then make the jump over.

-- Brevard County school district is one of the better ones in the state. Viera has the best schools in the district.
-- Tons to do in the area. Kennedy Space Center (we go once a year, things always changing). Port Canaveral - second largest cruise ship terminal on the east coast. Orlando theme parks. Famous Cocoa Beach. Orlando International airport - lots of non-stops since people are coming/going to the house of the mouse (did I mention we love tourist $$ here - oh, yes I did)
-- Lots of marinas. You mentioned you might want a smaller boat in your backyard - very doable on near by Merritt Island and Indian River Beach (schools not as good as Viera).
-- If you decide to stay long term and become empty nesters, some fantastic 55+ active communities (we live in one and love it).
PJHoffnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2022, 17:57   #82
Marine Service Provider

You forgot to add golf.....there are 453,567,800,345 (my best guess) golf courses in the State, almost all of them with residential communities around them. If golfing is your thing, we have it all here....from stadium courses to mom and pop joints...pretty much all the big names in golf have residences here...

Yeah, forgot about the cruise ship industry. They operate out of both coasts, and there is no shortage of them. All the big names are here. They go anywhere and everywhere, year round. Taking a cruise is a blast. Wife loves 'em. We've been on several to many different locations. I love sailing, but a cruise ship puts new meaning to life on the ocean. Trust me on this, nothing goes to weather better than an 800' long ship....
Old 17-07-2022, 18:01   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJHoffnet View Post
Florida. East Coast. City of Melbourne, BUT not in Melbourne, look at the community of Viera.

-Cons
-- State politics (might be a plus for you)
-- Hurricanes, they happen, but you have plenty of warning and newer homes (Viera is very new) are designed for winds up to 120MPH.

-Pros
-- Property taxes and insurance are inline with good communities, and less (when factoring in inflation) than what I was paying in Poway, CA (just north of SD). As previously noted, No State Income Tax (we always say Thank you to Tourist, we love your $$)
-- Warm water
-- In the middle of it all on the east coast.
--- Two hours to St Augustine/Daytona Beach.
--- Three hours to Miami or Jacksonville.
--- Six hours to Key West.
.... for boating, just change hours to days for cruising speed trips.
-- Boating community is small but lively, from Red Neck Yacht club sandbar types to Cruisers, and Live aboards. NOTE: Between the BIG boating areas of New Smyrna Beach/Daytona Beach and Fort Pierce/Fort Lauderdale. So ... the availability of quality boat maintenance (engines/electronics) is limited and wait times can be long.
--- On the AICW (protected cruising the entire length of the east coast of Florida); Access to Atlantic Ocean via New Smyrna Beach/Ponce de Leon Inlet; Port Canaveral; Sebastian Inlet. Access to the Gulf Coast via Lake Okeechobee. Another great trip is down the St Johns River. Direct Port Canaveral to West End in the Bahamas (140nm) or head south first to Fort Pierce/Fort Lauderdale/ Miami and then make the jump over.

-- Brevard County school district is one of the better ones in the state. Viera has the best schools in the district.
-- Tons to do in the area. Kennedy Space Center (we go once a year, things always changing). Port Canaveral - second largest cruise ship terminal on the east coast. Orlando theme parks. Famous Cocoa Beach. Orlando International airport - lots of non-stops since people are coming/going to the house of the mouse (did I mention we love tourist $$ here - oh, yes I did)
-- Lots of marinas. You mentioned you might want a smaller boat in your backyard - very doable on near by Merritt Island and Indian River Beach (schools not as good as Viera).
-- If you decide to stay long term and become empty nesters, some fantastic 55+ active communities (we live in one and love it).
I will research that area of melbourne thank you..
I do love the current state of FLA "leadership" you have a legend as a gov.. unlike here in cal where we have son of satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
You forgot to add golf.....there are 453,567,800,345 (my best guess) golf courses in the State, almost all of them with residential communities around them. If golfing is your thing, we have it all here....from stadium courses to mom and pop joints...pretty much all the big names in golf have residences here...

Yeah, forgot about the cruise ship industry. They operate out of both coasts, and there is no shortage of them. All the big names are here. They go anywhere and everywhere, year round. Taking a cruise is a blast. Wife loves 'em. We've been on several to many different locations. I love sailing, but a cruise ship puts new meaning to life on the ocean. Trust me on this, nothing goes to weather better than an 800' long ship....
I love Golf just starting to play again now that Kids are busy and my oldest started playing..
the Kids LOVE cruises.. theyt have been on over 10 of them. I like them.. so those 2 items are a bonus..!
Old 18-07-2022, 07:45   #84
Marine Service Provider

The cruises are great. We have been all over both east and west Caribbean. Out of season, ie, when kids are back in school, you can get great, unbelievable rates. We often do the "excursions"...Mayan ruins, etc. We love 'em. Though I've sailed there, cruise life is diametrical opposite, you don't have to worry about your anchor dragging, standing midnight watches, storms at sea, etc, but for me, the enjoyment is to be at sea. I'm a happy camper just staring at the ocean with a margarita in hand.
My daughter loves the cruises too, but for different reasons.....boys...so have to keep a watchful eye out.

Fortunately, I don't play golf. Trying to hit a little white ball into a hole a mile away seems like an exercise in frustration to me, but I have friends that are addicted to the game.

We have a new craze around here...not sure what you call 'em....a sail wing, with a chair underneath powered by a propellor. Looks like fun, I'm tempted to try it, but wife sez no. We have several in the area, the zoom up and down the beaches.

Tags
california, florida