Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2012, 07:21   #61

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Shoestring dreaming: I totally agree this discussion should be raised to a new level. What would do that for me and my shoestring operation is a blonde chick with her own income, has the cooking thing worked out, wears nothing but flip flops and knows what a bi-state integrated circuit is. Send pic of circuit please. I guess 9 more feet of boat wouldn't hurt anything either. Wonder if she's angling to meet a studly 70 yr old beer drinker, etc, who can pass for 65? I'm like a bronzed Adonis only less bronzed and Adonis-like with heart trouble and friendly dog. Can provide pic of dog.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 07:27   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

a few more tips for the oppertunistic shoestring sailor regarding fit out and adding to the budget.

in anchorages ,espeacially where the weather can change and boats have to leave in a hurry.
it is an idea to have a good snorkel round .
many times i've found anchors and chain that have been abandoned in new condition,they can lay for years with out damage if the galv is good.

also find winch handels,mooring lines,diving masks,flippers,whole dinner set's! and valuable antique bottels etc.

old wrecks are a source of copper and bronze that scrap dealers will pay good money for these days.

on busy tourist beaches snorkeling along the tide line at high water can bring valuable finds,i've found expensive sunglasses,diamond and gold rings,20,50 and 100 dollar bills before!
windy beaches you will find t shirts and beach towels etc these can be traded for fruit and veg with the locals

when refitting ,scrap yards,boat jumbles etc are a great source for good stuff

here are a couple of fotos of me shopping for rigging wire this morning!
new ex navy 316l stainless at scrap price!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	latest hina 001.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	440.2 KB
ID:	39132   Click image for larger version

Name:	latest hina 002.jpg
Views:	726
Size:	420.1 KB
ID:	39133  

atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 08:00   #63
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

How much time does it take to be a good forager? It sounds like Atoll that you have enough ingenuity to live permanently without a job. Or do people pay you to forage? I think I would!
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 08:14   #64

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Atoll, I see we shop in the same stores LOL nothing like finding stuff that is so expensive new, we could never afford it, at scrap prices!! I love to walk around seeing stuff others throw away or scrap out, that I could use! Ive found bronze marine fittings, heads for perkins, repairable props, monel shafting I was able to recut to work just fine! so many nice things almost makes me feel rich to shop at a good scrap heap LOL keep on keepin on !!
Old 26-03-2012, 08:19   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Atoll, I see we shop in the same stores LOL nothing like finding stuff that is so expensive new, we could never afford it, at scrap prices!! I love to walk around seeing stuff others throw away or scrap out, that I could use! Ive found bronze marine fittings, heads for perkins, repairable props, monel shafting I was able to recut to work just fine! so many nice things almost makes me feel rich to shop at a good scrap heap LOL keep on keepin on !!
now where to find the thimbles and copper swages,and a nicro-press!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 08:58   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
I'm a failure at shoestring sailing!

I began this boat adventure intending to save tons of money by doing my own work but it hasn't turned out to be practical.

What I didn't count on was the sheer volume and wide range of skills needed for a refit so even though I study my ass off, the lack of actual experience with fiberglassing etc has forced me to have much of the work professionally done.

I intend to begin working my way from the Chesapeake to the Caribbean this fall/winter and there just isn't enough time to acquire all the skills I need. The best I could do is to become proficient at identifying what skills I don't possess.

I don't know how you guys are able to do so much work, requiring such diverse skills.

I expect that this spring and summer I will have outsourced about 20k of work on a 23k boat! (including sails)
I get your point, but fiberglassing is really among the least difficult jobs on a boat I can think of - messy, irritating, laborious, yes, but not difficult.
Old 26-03-2012, 10:03   #67

Boat: Ohlson 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
I get your point, but fiberglassing is really among the least difficult jobs on a boat I can think of - messy, irritating, laborious, yes, but not difficult.
In my years of doing residential construction I've seen every conceivable harry homeowner disaster there is. Most of which were simply an aesthetic failure, a few were potentially life threatening, all were believed by the homeowner to be acceptable. In many cases, it would have been far cheaper to have a professional come in and do it right the first time.

I've had similar experiences working on my cars. Disassemble part of the vehicle only to discover that I'm in over my head. Twice I've had to have the car/van towed to a garage to finish the job. Cost me more than if I'd had it done professionally from the git-go.

I try to be realistic about my limitations and the consequences of substandard work.

I had three thru-hulls to fill in. I'd never seen it done except on a youtube video, and was afraid that if I did it incorrectly the patch could be punched back out during a collision with a floating obstruction or the like. I figured that the three hundred dollars would give me peace of mind.

I have two more thru-hulls to fill and will probably pay another couple hundred dollars. The projects with less disaster potential like cap rail replacement I will do.

I guess my point is that sometimes the cheapest route (do it yourself) can often turn out to be the expensive alternative.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 11:52   #68
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This might be of interest to some: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ver-61682.html
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 12:44   #69

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
Shoestring dreaming: I totally agree this discussion should be raised to a new level. What would do that for me and my shoestring operation is a blonde chick with her own income, has the cooking thing worked out, wears nothing but flip flops and knows what a bi-state integrated circuit is. Send pic of circuit please. I guess 9 more feet of boat wouldn't hurt anything either. Wonder if she's angling to meet a studly 70 yr old beer drinker, etc, who can pass for 65? I'm like a bronzed Adonis only less bronzed and Adonis-like with heart trouble and friendly dog. Can provide pic of dog.
With that description, I'm sure the line will be forming to the right...
But why the flip flops?...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 15:04   #70

Boat: a sailing boat

Some advice for new shoestring projects:

Build a make believe, a template, a model, before you go for the real thing, measure twice, cut once, watch others doing the jobs you have in plans, see the many ways a task can be completed, draw, read, ask advice, then GO FOR IT.

Too many times I feared a new to me job but found it not too difficult at all once done!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 15:58   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Here I go off topic again.. Flip-flip because thats what I wear 90+ percent of the time, even in winter, etc. Plus I know how to build a flip flop circuit.

To get back on topic,

For the shoe-string sailor Canvas drop cloths from the big box store, can be used to sew up sun shades, lee clothes, shower bags, etc. (if you like beige that is) about $2 a yard which is cheap.

Two cups of vinegar down the head, every two weeks or so, keeps the pipes open. In 5 years I've yet to need to rebuild the head (SO happy for that too). Plus good for cleaning the ceiling and other places...

My refrigerator is a 3.5 CF 120V, bolted down, with a clasp on the door and run from inverter. Less then $170 total for fridge and inverter. Its been working 5 years now...
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 10:18   #72
cruiser

there is song for shoestring sailors...

"shoestring cruisers of the world unite"

lolarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 10:41   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

HAHAHAHA YES! Lets form the CF Gospel choir. Though african music is not really me. How about a troll song. Come on lolarose, whats your favorite troll sailing song....
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 10:51   #74
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
In my years of doing residential construction I've seen every conceivable harry homeowner disaster there is. Most of which were simply an aesthetic failure, a few were potentially life threatening, all were believed by the homeowner to be acceptable. In many cases, it would have been far cheaper to have a professional come in and do it right the first time.

I've had similar experiences working on my cars. Disassemble part of the vehicle only to discover that I'm in over my head. Twice I've had to have the car/van towed to a garage to finish the job. Cost me more than if I'd had it done professionally from the git-go.

I try to be realistic about my limitations and the consequences of substandard work.

I had three thru-hulls to fill in. I'd never seen it done except on a youtube video, and was afraid that if I did it incorrectly the patch could be punched back out during a collision with a floating obstruction or the like. I figured that the three hundred dollars would give me peace of mind.

I have two more thru-hulls to fill and will probably pay another couple hundred dollars. The projects with less disaster potential like cap rail replacement I will do.

I guess my point is that sometimes the cheapest route (do it yourself) can often turn out to be the expensive alternative.
I understand. If you really can't (or won't) do a professional job, you're going to have to get someone else. HOWEVER, I have seen so many examples of completely shoddy "professional" work (and here in Annapolis, no less) that I wouldn't trust a professional unless I already knew enough to be able to backstop his or her work -- in other words, unless I had the knowledge to do it myself. I think that's what they call a Catch-22.
Old 27-03-2012, 10:56   #75
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Two cups of vinegar down the head, every two weeks or so, keeps the pipes open. In 5 years I've yet to need to rebuild the head (SO happy for that too).
What kind of head do you have, and is it ever used? I have to rebuild mine every other year - and use vingar also
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget