Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2013, 14:05   #481
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Perhaps there is a business there, to salvage derelict boats, and sell the parts to lower budgeted people that need parts for their boats. You would have to figure out what to do with the hulls.
From what I've seen around the bay area, people will pull anything of value of a boat, sell the parts on craigslist or ebay. Then haul and chop up the fiberglass or wood hull and have it hauled to the dump. Some make a living doing just that or so it looks like anyway...
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 14:26   #482
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
you guys are more experienced than I am , so I appreciate the education. I go in part by what I've seen other cruisers posting in the past, and by what I see in person - but my "in person" experiences have been most limited to Miami and Keys area.
Ah, well I expect it would be pretty hard to live on $500 a month in Miami and in some parts of the keys. Though it would be easier in northern Florida and over on the west coast. Location, location, location as they say applies to the lower class of boater as well as the upper..

Really my big cost per month is food. With the internet its pretty easy to find locations where cheap.. er that is to say less expensive grocery chains are located near a dock or marina... Even on the SF bay, I can triple my food bill if I did not care where I shopped. Plus knowing who has the lowest price and stocking up. For example, the last 10 pound bag of potatoes cost me all of one dollar. In some stores that's $4 to $5 dollars, though I never pay more then $2.

I think its easier perhaps in California for harbormasters to sell or dispose of old boats. I know people that sell the parts and cut up most of the cabin and interiors while the boat is in the water. Then haul the remains to a boat ramp to be placed on a trailer and hauled to the dump. No haulout fees, etc. Just a dump charge and a little elbow grease...
Old 22-03-2013, 14:34   #483

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Actually, Florida can be very cheap living, while still staying legal. Most towns have some place you can dink in for free. Many people don't realize it, but state boat ramps are public access spots from the water, and you can usually find someplace right next to the ramp to tie up, or you can anchor in 6" of water, or you can haul your boat on land next to the ramp. The Carolinas and Georgia can be cheaper. It is very rare to pay for a dinghy spot in New England or the Chesapeake. Off hand, I can't think of any place where you have to pay to go ashore. Sometimes there is a pay dock, but there is usually an alternative. Plus, I know of quite a few public access points with free dinghy docks, free public drinking water, free trash disposal, and sometimes other amenities including free pumpouts. One thing I have learned is just to ask around. For example, up in Maine if I can't find a likely looking spot for the dink I'll ask a lobster boat if I can tie alongside for a few hours, and they usually say sure. If they plan on moving they'll always have a good idea of where to go. In the Chesapeake I've asked folks if I could use their private dock, and they usually say no problem.
Old 22-03-2013, 15:07   #484

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Perhaps there is a business there, to salvage derelict boats, and sell the parts to lower budgeted people that need parts for their boats. You would have to figure out what to do with the hulls.
I think that's part of the problem - some of these people are leaving the hulls in the water. I supposed that's the source of "less than zero" boat hulls. If you can strip the boat of parts, but not take responsibility for the disposal of the flotsam, then why not just leave it for someone else to deal with?
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 15:15   #485

The vast majority of these derelicts in Florida are actually owned by people on land who bought a cheap boat with dreams of restoring them. They sit out there neglected until a storm comes along and they break loose. In addition, many of the most costly and publicized problem derelicts were actually commercial vessels abandoned by some business that went belly up. Generally, people living aboard, even if they have very little means, do everything possible to maintain their homes to the best of their ability, which might be limited by drugs, alcohol, or mental problems. However, their homes are only a small part of the true derelict problem, which gets so much press.

I think that is a totally separate issue from "Shoestring Sailors," who are actual cruisers, just living on limited means either from necessity or by their own choice. I have met, talked to, had onboard, and cruised in company with many people in this category, and almost without exception they are very resourceful and interesting people.
Old 22-03-2013, 15:27   #486

Boat: csy 37

i have no rv experience, but my brother does. he once told me he could drive his car and stay in a motel for less than the cost of rv'ing. cruising friends of ours went on the hard last year, bought a fifth wheel trailer, and went off to alaska (from north florida). last email i got they were beginning to sound like they can't wait to get back to cruising. but that's a personal choice, and probably not related to cost.

artm, i lived in south florida for a quarter century and yes, it's pretty much cruiser unfriendly. not a great spot to be a cruiser of any kind, much less one living on a smaller budget. used to be nice up until maybe the 80's, then went downhill pretty quick.

but thanks to the new florida anchoring laws its much easier to stop and stay just about anywhere you like. there are a couple of anchor out liveaboards near me who live on not a lot of money (one lives on his $600 monthly social security). there's a free town dock, water, head, and no hassle from the authorities. shopping is a bit of a hike but there is a good bus system to take you there.

as for used boat prices, i sold my last three cruiser sized sailboats for the same amount i paid for them.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 15:37   #487

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgunny View Post
okay all, am new here, and was/am looking for advice about shoestring liveaboards and boat buying in general.
since finding THIS thread I am now certain I am in the right place. I have very little sailing experience and none as a liveaboard cruiser, but what I do have is a ton of experience as a full time RVer. cruising the highways for roughly ten years, almost always on a tight budget, so heres the crossover for my two cents..When I went RVing fulltime, I bought a fixer upper motorhome that ran, and made improvements as I had time/resources
I never bought new anything, swapmeet and sales ad finds only
I never paid for parking.. no KOA for me, stateparks or similar free camping only
I would hunt/fish/trap, and hit farmers markets or barter for most all food I used
Only once did I pay a repairman and that was to use his shop and tools when changing a motor.but I could have used a cheap comealong and a tall tree!
my income was from gunsmithing and general auto/repair
I had two young kids and a wife
we did it all on way less than 500 a month
now the kids are grown, the wife is gone and I'm thinking/dreaming of the sailing life. seems to me that just about all of the land cruiser tricks and moneymakers skills should convert to a water based lifestyle. what say you all?
Sounds like you should do fine with the "sea rv" (tm).
To me cruising and rv'ing are really the same, except cruisers can't go to as many places!

People considering cruising should try rv'ing for a while, see how living in tiny spaces full time for extended periods works out. If you can't take it in an RV, a sailboat is worse.

While gas is very expensive and wind is free, there is a lot of other expenses associated with boats and cruising. Just like cruising in a small boat, if you can get use a small car and a tent, you can go far cheaply.
Highways can be very dangerous, but the ocean can be viscously less forgiving.

Look forward to your input on how you get'r'done cheap.

JackB
nimblemotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 15:45   #488

Quote:
To me cruising and rv'ing are really the same, except cruisers can't go to as many places!
Except, the best places are on the water and two-thirds of the earth is covered by the stuff. Try taking your RV to the Galapagos!
Old 22-03-2013, 15:57   #489
Armchair Bucketeer

Although never full time cruising - me father combined a motorhome (a mini RV!) with a motorboat for the thick end of a decade to cover a chunk of Europe (Motorhome works better most places inland - but not all!)......and before that (back to when I was a kid) combining boats and vehicles / vans with Europe (sometimes together and sometimes not) was pretty much the norm......all that probably accounts for my attitude that many of the interesting places in a country are more than 5 minutes away from the shore - and usually well worth an explore.....and vehicle (with or without a home attached) can add a lot of options as well as fun!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 16:09   #490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Except, the best places are on the water and two-thirds of the earth is covered by the stuff. Try taking your RV to the Galapagos!
Try taking your sailboat to see the Grand Canyon! ha, take that!

Nothing can compete with its grandness and beauty!

The ocean is just a bunch of angry water, it is the SHORELINE that people love.

JackB
Old 22-03-2013, 16:09   #491
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Plus knowing
I think Sailorchic has revealed the big secret - knowing!

Whilst Mr Google is an awesome tool to also have it is not a replacement for having own boots on the ground and finding stuff out for self and making contacts. and that takes time. 12 streets back from the dock, up 2 flights of stairs to find Pedro or Pierre who has cheap whatevers avilable next Thursday likely will never reach Mr Google and his freinds.......brilliant for those who actually enjoy wandering around / being nosey / sniffing a deal out - not so great for whom that is instead a PITA.....or even those with the needed attitude who are constantly passing through places (on land or on water, being new somewhere is always more expensive than having own local knowledge - whether from single extended stays or from returning years after year.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 16:21   #492

Quote:
I think Sailorchic has revealed the big secret - knowing!
So true! You have to step ashore with an open mind and a willing attitude and a smile. A friend of mine who cruised extensively on boats most here wouldn't consider taking out of the bay (no electronics, no engine, no electrical system, no plumbing) once told me something that I always remember: everyone eats, everyone drinks water, everyone must make repairs, everyone wants to be safe, comfortable, and warm. If you need something, or need some help, talk to people. They will help you.
Old 22-03-2013, 16:37   #493
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
Try taking your sailboat to see the Grand Canyon! ha, take that!

Nothing can compete with its grandness and beauty

JackB
I admit that getting a sailboat over the rapids in the Colorado river (the river thats at the bottom of the grand canyon), might be a little tricky. But it would be a interesting kayak trip for sure... Though probably easier going down river then up.... So right back at ya
Old 22-03-2013, 16:45   #494

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I admit that getting a sailboat over the rapids in the Colorado river (the river thats at the bottom of the grand canyon), might be a little tricky. But it would be a interesting kayak trip for sure... Though probably easier going down river then up.... So right back at ya
"a little tricky" ?? The hover damn might be a little bit in the way, which btw, is another incredible thing to see! And heck it is really only with an airplane you get THIS kinda of view, those RV'rs are missing it.

Old 22-03-2013, 16:51   #495
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vancouver 27

I'm sure only the very worst boats have to be scrapped, there is allways someone to take them and do something with them, I've seen a rowing boat made into a porch and many little boats made into flower beds.

Tags
budget