Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2018, 15:13   #16

Boat: AMERICAN 2+2 MINI-TON 16 FT
Re: Second sail - jib only - is this unusual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinuxo View Post
If things get confusing, toss out the anchor and take a break.
Boat didn't come with an anchor - guess I should get one?
jimTheSailorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 16:51   #17

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Also some boats do not like sailing job only and some do. My c&c sails fine most weather with jib alone. Not all boats do.
Old 15-06-2018, 19:02   #18

I think you should get all this sailing business on video and post it ...
T-Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 20:14   #19

On one of your posts you ask about setting the boom/main while on the water. For me, in our little boat, even though the main sits in the cockpit and boom lays on the stern, I put the boom in the mast and make sure all the lines are ready before launching. I feel a lot better having everything ready before I get on the water just to make sure I haven’t forgotten any important piece of rigging at home. I also don’t have a motor, just a little plastic oar, so I want the main up as soon as possible once I’m on the water to get some way using the wind. I don’t want to block the ramp or dock longer than possible in case others need it.

In our little boat (Catalina 14.2), the jib is on a roller furling, so I can unroll it when ready. It sails a lot better with just the main than just the jib. As mentioned, the boat is so light, the jib isn’t large enough to produce enough speed for good control (other than DDW). If I only use one sail, and it’s the main, I can get as much speed (or as little) as available considering the wind, by controlling how the main is or isn’t luffing. In the bigger monohulls we’ve chartered, the jib is usually a larger genoa on a furling and when fully out will produce enough speed for control.

Also, in light winds and a small boat, you don’t really need to worry about an accidental jibe because you can just put your hands up and hold the boom. In fact, I can sail my little boat backwards in light winds by holding the sail against the wind. In heavier winds (+10kts) you don’t want to try holding the boom because if a gust comes up and it jibes, you might find yourself in the water .

The great thing about little boats like yours and mine is that they’re basically “disposible.” Not that you want to really damage the boat or sink it, but if you do the boat is cheap enough that you can try to repair it yourself. If that doesn’t work, you can find another one pretty cheaply. You only need to figure out how to get the old one to the dump. And, at least mine is built pretty heavily for the size. It takes a pretty good beating without much complaining.

Since we’re not “cruisers” or “liveaboards” and are two hours from a decent size lake, the little trailer boat is great. Trailer and all is less than 500#s. We can launch it from land without a boat ramp if we want and it’s fun to just “run around” in. And because it’s so light and small, it’s a very fast boat. It will easily do 6kts in 8-10kt winds. They are fun to use for practice.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 22:13   #20

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Sounds like the dagger board wasn't down. Make sure it is in the locked position. Also, if you have little forward motion, the board won't dig in.

I sailed a 15ft Chrysler mutineer for years. I put sail slugs on the main (Sail rite) to easily raise and lower, I put easily removable lazy Jack's (Sail cradle from Sail Rite) to catch the main, and a battle stick from Harken as a tiller extension to help me balance my weight and make it easier to duck under the boom for a tack. Also, I added a reefing points on the main.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 06:55   #21

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Went out yesterday in about 9 knot winds.

Used "main sail only" - did notice that "balanced" issue on the tiller - had to keep pressure to stay centered.

Steering and centerboard worked great - problem was as others mentioned first time no wind and just jib isn't a good combination.

Great feeling when the wind started to push the boat

Sailed perpendicular to the wind and turned into the wind for turns. Took my best guess on how tight to pull the sail in. I think I need telltales as suggested.

Used my motor to get in and get out of the dock but that will get better with experience.

Going to post new issue with questions from that sail.

Thanks again.
Old 21-06-2018, 07:32   #22

Boat: Valiant 40

I've noticed on small trailerable boats that trying to go to windward with just the jib can be fool's errand. You just got blown sideways, particularly if you're not moving in the first place. If you bear off and build up some speed you can carry it back up a bit, but you're still working against the design of the boat.

Use the main for sailing out and in and close quarters work. No sheeting to do and it will move the boat anywhere you want to go.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 07:38   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Use the main for sailing out and in and close quarters work. No sheeting to do and it will move the boat anywhere you want to go.
Yes - night and day difference between jib only and main only for me - plus a bit of wind really helped.
Old 21-06-2018, 08:14   #24

If the board was down it's probably just the light air. Very hard to go to weather well in 5 mph, especially with just a jib. While you may be able to point up to what looks like 45 degrees off the wind, your track thru the water may be a lot wider than that!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 08:48   #25

Boat: Bristol 27

Probably best at this time just to go ahead and use both sails.

If you want to know how the sails affect the boat, (after you learn to sail it) center or remove the rudder and steer with just the sails.

One of my racing catamarans was a unirig.

Main only and spinnaker.......17' boat with 31' mast made for a singlehander. I bought the optional jib for it later for distance races
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 09:19   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimTheSailorMan View Post
...Took my best guess on how tight to pull the sail in. I think I need telltales as suggested...
Your boat is light, so you should be able to hold a sheet (or two!) in one hand and the tiller in your other hand. Your boat has a sporty Sail Area / Displacement = 25.5, so you should be able to instantly feel the effect of changes you make in the sail trim. My opinion is that feeling what is happening is far superior that staring up at some flappy strips of cloth, trying to get them to fly right.

Also, it has been my experience that with old sails, it is nearly impossible to consistently get a sail shaped for proper telltale flight. It is possible, however, to get the best possible shape that your old sail can do. You'll know it when you feel it.

My experience has also informed my opinion that you'll need adjustable jib sheet leads to properly shape your jib. And if your jib is not shaped right, the telltales on the mainsail won't fly right. And if the boat does not have a traveler and a vang and a workable outhaul, it will be impossible to consistently get a mainsail shaped for proper telltale flight.

Therefore, do yourself a favor and avoid the frustration of trying to achieve the impossible. Forget about the telltales (for now) and figure out how to bet the best out of what you have by feeling how your boat reacts to you adjusting the controls.

Keep these sailing adages in mind:

"Tiller toward trouble."
"When in doubt, let it out." (This one is in regard to sheets.)
jwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 14:29   #27

Boat: Charger 33 (Angelo Lavranos)

First of all, congratulation to your new boat and to the courage to set sail yourself. In your case (don't take it wrong) the best would be to get someone on board for a couple of time with a great sailing knowledge and observe... Sailing isn't the thing which could be learned from books or Youtube, well not on the fast way. Of course you still have to practice afterwords, but you will know what rather than just try and error. Whatever way you choose, you do it right, you have the boat and you use it. This is lot better than dream about it for years like I did... Good on you.
nagy592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 18:19   #28

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Something like the above is very handy when you are starting out. Nice fat easy to read numbers updated very frequently. When you do this or that and gain a half knot, you know it quick. If the wind is blowing and the boat isn't going fast, you are doing something wrong. If you change this or that and it goes a little faster, then it is less wrong or more right. I have this exact same unit in my cockpit instrument panel.

One thing I will point out is that your rudder is also a brake. When you have to use pressure on the tiller, your rudder is slowing you down. When your sails are trimmed to give you a perfectly neutral helm, then the rudder is making very very little drag. Plus, you have to steer! Puffing along with the tiller tied down while the sails steer the boat is one of the most enjoyable parts of sailing.

Tags
jib, sail