Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2021, 16:20   #16

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: SE ASIA 2021 - Info

We just completed our 14 day quarantine in a hotel in Kuala Lumpur in December so we could get back to our boat in Malaysia. When you are brought to the hotel from the airport, a receptionist in a hazmat suit handed us a standard hotel card key for the room. It was programmed to only work once, so you could enter.
Old 09-01-2021, 07:22   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Is this in reference to arriving by boat?

My understanding is you can get a visa to Thailand and fly in right now but there is a mandatory 14day quarantine in specific govt qualified hotels. You are literally locked in your room for 14 days and they bring in your meals. All at very expensive (by Thai standards) prices. ($2-3k USD per person for modest hotels).

I've seen a couple of youtube videos of people doing it and it's not like in the western countries where they are trusting you to stay isolated if you quarantine. They have people actually watching.
Its called the ASQ program and $2k are some of the higher end places. They do go up and over $3k, but you are really going super high end at that point. I paid $2k for my wife and myself at a very nice place in Pattaya with a balcony and ocean view, so only $1k each.
ewishki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 18:14   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewishki View Post
Its called the ASQ program and $2k are some of the higher end places. They do go up and over $3k, but you are really going super high end at that point. I paid $2k for my wife and myself at a very nice place in Pattaya with a balcony and ocean view, so only $1k each.
Maybe it's come down in price. We looked into it about a month ago and the cheapest option was about $2k/person and they were basically motel6 level hotels.

$1k is a lot more palatable.

I also heard they were talking about reducing it to a week quarantine.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 18:25   #19

Quote:
Maybe it's come down in price. We looked into it about a month ago and the cheapest option was about $2k/person and they were basically motel6 level hotels.

$1k is a lot more palatable.

I also heard they were talking about reducing it to a week quarantine.
Still 14 days currently, technically 15 days. I doubt they bring it down anytime soon due to the new outbreak. Just as of today, Phuket now requires 14 days coming in from red zones. Bangkok and Pattaya are both red zones, which is where you fly into and where you ASQ at currently. So now if you want to go to Phuket it is 14/15 days ASQ in Bangkok/Pattaya then 14/15 days again when you go to Phuket. Yikes. What sucks for us is, that is where our boat is. Good news is, this is only until Jan 31st, for now. Thailand cases dropping again. They really are good at containing it. It helps when if you violate any of their Covid protocols it is 20k baht fine and up to 2 years in prison.

For the audience here, Phuket is drastically more relevant than the average Thailand traveler.

My wife and I just started a vlog a few weeks ago. I am actually putting together one for the entire ASQ, COE, STV or VOA process.

Current cheapest hotel is now 26000 baht. I also doubt that comes down much. They give you 15 meals, room, twice a day temp check by a nurse, transportation from airport, 2 Covid tests also done by a nurse, etc. If you are considering going, Agoda now has a deal with all the ASQ hotels. That way you can look at all of them at once.
Old 10-01-2021, 03:32   #20
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Still 14 days currently, technically 15 days. I doubt they bring it down anytime soon due to the new outbreak. Just as of today, Phuket now requires 14 days coming in from red zones. Bangkok and Pattaya are both red zones, which is where you fly into and where you ASQ at currently. So now if you want to go to Phuket it is 14/15 days ASQ in Bangkok/Pattaya then 14/15 days again when you go to Phuket. Yikes. What sucks for us is, that is where our boat is. Good news is, this is only until Jan 31st, for now. Thailand cases dropping again. They really are good at containing it. It helps when if you violate any of their Covid protocols it is 20k baht fine and up to 2 years in prison.

For the audience here, Phuket is drastically more relevant than the average Thailand traveler.

My wife and I just started a vlog a few weeks ago. I am actually putting together one for the entire ASQ, COE, STV or VOA process.

Current cheapest hotel is now 26000 baht. I also doubt that comes down much. They give you 15 meals, room, twice a day temp check by a nurse, transportation from airport, 2 Covid tests also done by a nurse, etc. If you are considering going, Agoda now has a deal with all the ASQ hotels. That way you can look at all of them at once.

I thought Phuket also has international flights? Maybe route your flight from a country that flies in there
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 04:04   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
I thought Phuket also has international flights? Maybe route your flight from a country that flies in there
They did have direct from limited locations. No SE Asia country allowing transfers currently. If they let you in, you go to quarantine. See attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20210109-WA0000.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	230184  
Old 10-01-2021, 04:31   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Is this in reference to arriving by boat?
My understanding is you can get a visa to Thailand and fly in right now but there is a mandatory 14day quarantine ...
Yes, to both. ➥ https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3317190

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 08:57   #23

Quote:

Yeah, it was a 2-3weeks back when I heard they were looking at shortening the quarantine...before the latest outbreaks, so not surprising if that gets put on hold.

I didn't mean it to suggest the hotels were abusing the pricing just that with big unknowns, they may have been pricing higher because of the unknowns with a new process...then as they see how it really works, they ight adjust the pricing accordingly.

26k baht ($850USD), is getting down to where we would consider from a price perspective. It's the length of time locked in a room that would hold us up....

I could see a Mad Max scene at the entrance to the hotel room with the crowd chanting...two go in...one comes out.

valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 05:49   #24

Quote:

26k baht ($850USD), is getting down to where we would consider from a price perspective. It's the length of time locked in a room that would hold us up....

I could see a Mad Max scene at the entrance to the hotel room with the crowd chanting...two go in...one comes out.
haha yeah. And btw its no joke. You are on lockdown. Not allowed to leave room, which is why a balcony room is a good idea. One with a sea view even better. We are doing our ASQ in Pattaya starting March 5th. Sea View room with a balcony.

If you are considering going:

This video is up to date with current stuff in regards to Thailand ASQ travel. The video is long, description has time stamps and the comments has up to date news links as they happen:

Also Google search "Richard Barrow in Thailand". His FB and Twitter are probably the best resources for Thailand news and travel.
Old 13-01-2021, 04:51   #25

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Two new cases in Langkawi, Malaysia, on 13 January 2021
Old 13-01-2021, 04:53   #26

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Three new cases in Phuket, prompting curbs on night activities:

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/...ernal_referral
Old 13-04-2021, 22:25   #27
UFO

Just seen the following:

https://www.marinadelray.co/post/not...CgCsS8VIJnGyc8

Looks like Indonesia is opening back up to Cruisers?

Anyone have any updated info on Malaysia and Thailand as well?
Old 13-04-2021, 22:36   #28

Quote:
Just seen the following:

https://www.marinadelray.co/post/not...CgCsS8VIJnGyc8

Looks like Indonesia is opening back up to Cruisers?

Anyone have any updated info on Malaysia and Thailand as well?
We have friends who are getting a visa for Thailand, they are currently in Malysia. They told me it will end up costing them near usd5,000 for two people and boat including visa, agent and required covid coverage,
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 23:01   #29
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
We have friends who are getting a visa for Thailand, they are currently in Malysia. They told me it will end up costing them near usd5,000 for two people and boat including visa, agent and required covid coverage,

Ouch that is not cheap - We are a family of 4 - Looks like It may be the East Coast of Oz instead for the next year
Old 14-04-2021, 01:17   #30

Quote:
Ouch that is not cheap - We are a family of 4 - Looks like It may be the East Coast of Oz instead for the next year
The east coast is a decent place to do a shakedown.

Indo, Malaysia and Thailand are all doable now, but not cheap. Or I guess I should say not cheap to get in. Once in, living is low cost - certainly a lot less than the Australia.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Asia