Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2021, 03:26   #46

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: SE ASIA 2021 - Info

UFO
So every 60 days you'll be renewing and paying for an extension. It's likely that at least the first renewal will have to be in person.
I'd have a plan on where to go next if Indo changes the rules before I'd commit to this. You'll be into this usd$1,200 (for 4) every 60 days plus an agent fee most likely. Not outrageous, but not budget.
Old 15-04-2021, 03:47   #47

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Foreigners asked to leave
All the cruisers I know have talked to Immigration well before the 21 April date.

Media reports suggest that non-cruiser tourists who have been working (including in the entertainment sector) without permission were the final straw.

And that cruisers who talk to Immigration about their situation will have their situations considered.

See: https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nati...immigration-dg
Old 15-04-2021, 04:16   #48
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
UFO
So every 60 days you'll be renewing and paying for an extension. It's likely that at least the first renewal will have to be in person.
I'd have a plan on where to go next if Indo changes the rules before I'd commit to this. You'll be into this usd$1,200 (for 4) every 60 days plus an agent fee most likely. Not outrageous, but not budget.

Unless Malaysia and Thailand are also open at sensible pricing I will be doing the East Coast, which I have already resigned myself to for the next year - Hopefully in 12 months things will be more open
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 06:52   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Unless Malaysia and Thailand are also open at sensible pricing I will be doing the East Coast, which I have already resigned myself to for the next year - Hopefully in 12 months things will be more open
Watch those river bars
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 07:53   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
Hmm ... I'm not sure I agree.

Thailand has tried to open to cruisers and tourists by air. The first time, no one (other a few) came. Perhaps because of the cost.
The cost was a deterrent but I think it was secondary. That said, it's certainly cheaper to visit outside the quarantine hotel pricing (not that I think the hotels are abusing it but it's drastically more expensive than tourists are used to).

Being locked down for 2 weeks was the bigger issue. At least on the tourist side, you were in your room for 2 weeks straight.

Most tourists only have a 2 week vacation to start with. Even with a month, it wouldn't be worth the hassle for most. Unless you were planning to stay for a few months, it just wasn't worth it.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 08:50   #51
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
UFO
What I'm afraid is happening is that the precedent is being set... forcing private pleasure boats to use Agents
.....and it is in their nature to encourage more and more conditions, thus justifying increases in Fees.
If you have ever been to a Xmas party hosted by Agents for CIQ, you'll know what I mean.

I hope cruisers take a stand after this health criisis is over to do away with mandatory use of Agents
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 09:15   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
What I'm afraid is happening is that the precedent is being set... forcing private pleasure boats to use Agents
.....and it is in their nature to encourage more and more conditions, thus justifying increases in Fees.
If you have ever been to a Xmas party hosted by Agents for CIQ, you'll know what I mean.

I hope cruisers take a stand after this health criisis is over to do away with mandatory use of Agents
We've only had to use a mandatory agent in Colombia, Galapagos, Indonesia and the Maldives. I don't like it, but its there country. I can appreciate CIQ people not wanting deal with often disorganized and self entitled cruisers.

Clearing into the Maldives required 35 pages with captains signature and boat stamp. Better prepared by the agent than me.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 17:17   #53

Indonesia reports more than 5 million people have received two-shots of a coronavirus vaccine and more than 10 million have received one-shot of a vaccine. Slow but steady progress.

https://en.antaranews.com/news/17259...se-tops-57-mln
Old 15-04-2021, 21:03   #54
CF Adviser

In the Philippines as of April 11
0.1% of population has had 1 dose
0.0% statistically has had 2
Mostly Chinese vaccinations
Old 15-04-2021, 21:28   #55
CF Adviser

Indonesia doing much betterClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210416-122743_Google.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	236616
Old 17-04-2021, 10:09   #56
CF Adviser

Friends on their boats in Kota Kinabalu have just been told they must leave Malaysia .

Have been given a month to prepare

Big question is where will a foreigner be able to go next month if Indonesia and Thailand decide to shut down?
Old 28-04-2021, 17:22   #57

Dig deep in your pocket for Thailand, but arrive by air:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business...dholders-plans

And still no one comes (in any significant number).
Old 29-04-2021, 18:57   #58

Phuket Chamber of Commerce continues to push the idea of vaccinating Phuket residents so the tourism-dependent province can open to wealthy tourists, perhaps by October.

One of the problems is of course not to be mentioned: from whom does Phuket buy vaccine? The only 'approved' source is a company owned by he-who-cannot-be-named.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...y-its-own-jabs
Old 29-04-2021, 19:12   #59

Daily confirmed new cases of Covid-19 in Malaysia are, as they say in the classics, not necessarily moving in the right direction.

Today is Ramadhan 18, the 18th day since the sighting of the first sliver of illuminated moon to start the month of Ramadhan. That suggests strongly that astronomers looking carefully on 12 May will see a hint of illumination on the edge of the moon disc, causing them to declare 13 May as Syawal 1, the first day of the month Syawal and so the first day of the Hari Raya Puasa/Eid al'Fitri feasting and holidays.

Malaysians are already, on Ramadhan 18, starting to move from the industrial and commercial hub of the Klang Valley (which had 1,500-ish confirmed new cases yesterday) back to their family homes in more rural locations. Police roadblocks have appeared, for example in the state of Perak, to dissuade people from crossing state borders to spread the virus.

Vaccination in Malaysia is continuing. Slowly, but surely. Supply of vaccine and price are controlling factors. The damage to the reputation of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine means it has been moved out to the side of the vaccination program of the Govt of Malaysia (GoM). So clinics will soon open in the Klang Valley to offer the Oxford/AZ vaccine on a first come first served basis, instead of the steady move through the age cohorts favoured by the GoM approach.

See: graphic of daily cases (purple bars)
Old 30-04-2021, 01:59   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
Daily confirmed new cases of Covid-19 in Malaysia are, as they say in the classics, not necessarily moving in the right direction.
Ouch! If the linear trend continues, Malaysia will reach 4K confirmed new cases tomorrow.

Tags
Asia