Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2021, 08:28   #31

Boat: CAL 2-27
Re: Sailing to Hawaii - marinas

Then why did the News say La Mariana Restaurant was on fire. And they are rebuilding their dilapidated docks. Most of the boats there look like a mess too. The place has such potential but the virus just killed it. I will go down there and check it out. Moose's in Waikiki definitely caught fire though.
Ric Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2021, 12:39   #32

Boat: CAL-2 30'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric Sheridan View Post
Then why did the News say La Mariana Restaurant was on fire. And they are rebuilding their dilapidated docks. Most of the boats there look like a mess too. The place has such potential but the virus just killed it. I will go down there and check it out. Moose's in Waikiki definitely caught fire though.
Good question…wouldn’t be the first time they got it wrong. I was at my slip next door in KMC later that day and it was still kinda smoky..
davenrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 04:01   #33

Hello I am planning a crossing from Southern California to Hawaii this summer and I am looking for a buddy boat, when are you planning on your trip/ would you be interested in a buddy boat along your journey?
On my way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 04:35   #34

Boat: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric Sheridan View Post
I live on Oahu. Just save yourself a bunch of trouble and come to the Ala Wai boat harbor first. Give them a heads up you are coming and they will have a slip for you or a mooring ball at the least. Especially now that the Transpac guys are beginning to go back. Then when you get here you can network with the other boat owners and see whet your options are. Stay away from Kaneohe Bay. The Harbor Master's job there is to chase boats away. You get 72 hours and they are coming with the DNLR to take your boat. Keehi Lagoon has free anchorage and slips but it is a Tweakers Paradise with homeless liveaboards. La Mariana just had a big fire and the place is a mess. All the other harbors on Oahu are too small to be able to just pull up and expect a slip. You can maybe get 120 day temp spots if you try in advance. Ko Olina is a private ritzy spot but very expensive. Figure on around $15 a foot per day for mooring at the State Harbors. Luckily I got a permanent spot recently for $300 p/m.

should this be $1.50 per foot? ...or $15/foot/day is accurate?!
chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 11:20   #35

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

Marinas in Hawaii are difficult at best. Cruising here is best done east to west, anchoring in the beautiful spots along the way. Download Noodles notes, the only cruising guide for Hawaii, making landfall in Radio bay, Hilo. Every island has it's gems waiting to be discovered by the adventurous sailor, but finding a slip takes long term planning and puts you in less than desirable places. THis is cruising South Pacific style, not California style.
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 17:29   #36
Marine Service Provider

La Mariana Restaurant looks fine. Had dinner there a week or so ago. Great food and service. It was night when we were there but the docks and boats looked ok.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 17:54   #37

Boat: 1999 Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by On my way View Post
Hello I am planning a crossing from Southern California to Hawaii this summer and I am looking for a buddy boat, when are you planning on your trip/ would you be interested in a buddy boat along your journey?
Hey, on my way, This is Greg Kruegermann On Windpilot, H410. I'm hoping to cross in the last 2 weeks of June sometime. MDR to Honolulu, singlehandedly, I'm game, at least to communicate about it.
Windpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 11:04   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby View Post
should this be $1.50 per foot? ...or $15/foot/day is accurate?!
Welcome to paradise!
Heaven forbid you should need groceries or petrol!
kapnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2024, 14:13   #39

Boat: Valiant 39

This is Gary Russo on Inconceivable, a Valiant 39. I'm hoping to cross in August or September.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windpilot View Post
Hey, on my way, This is Greg Kruegermann On Windpilot, H410. I'm hoping to cross in the last 2 weeks of June sometime. MDR to Honolulu, singlehandedly, I'm game, at least to communicate about it.
garyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2024, 15:45   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyr View Post
This is Gary Russo on Inconceivable, a Valiant 39. I'm hoping to cross in August or September.
Hey Gary,
Regarding my post way back. I did make it there and back. 18 days to Oahu 24 days to get back. I do want to do it again. It was challenging and an epic adventure.
Good Luck
GREG
Old 15-02-2024, 19:48   #41
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45

@windpilot can you share your experiences on marinas and anchoring? Seems you have the most up-to-date information.
Old 15-02-2024, 20:51   #42

I stayed in Ala Wai. Arrived at the cement charter docks because it was on a weekend. Then checked into their office, already had the liability insurance naming them. They give you only the transient dock which is like med mooring, the bow attached to 1 or more mooring balls. I scoped a spot out with my dinghy and set a static line from he mooring ball to the dock, it made docking singlehanded easier. You'll need to bring or find a plank or something to get from your stern on to the dock, Tides make that more challenging.
With $10 day livaboard fee it was like $700 for my measured 45'.
Incidently, they also make you go to their dock with an appointment to get fully inspected, coast guard safety inspection like, and then you still need to do a buoy run outside the harbor and back. Ridiculous.....you can stay there 3 months only, slips in harbor are not to be gotten.
Any private marinas are hard to get into and super expensive (heard like 2k for 40' boat)
The only anchoring I did was just off Waikiki Beach when I did a couple of daysails with family and friends, time flew, I had a e bike along and explored alot, my daughter lives there etc.
I left in August, if you get there late like in September are you planing on staying since the weather window for sailing back, if you planed that, supposedly closes.
I will do it again, next year, but keep going, point south.

Tags
hawaii, marinas, sail, sailing