Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2018, 14:57   #16

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480
Re: Sailing at Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Lift the rudder and keel. No more yawing, no more trouble with tides.

Not an answer for cruising boats, but very effective for trimarans.

I'm anxious to hear if he tries a hammerlock mooring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Works for us too.
I have a similar problem, my boat is almost never doing what the other boats are doing and it is a PITA. On a mooring I end up with huge knots that take a swim and 20 minutes to undo + cut up hands (Cid harbour comes to mind). I end up shortening my bridle until the mooring buoy is up out of the water.

I was thinking of the bucket out the back, it might not be big enough.

I put the boards all the way down but this only works sometimes.

Your saying if I lift the boards and my rudders it will set to the breeze and have no lift under the water to sail up on. I still wont be doing what the other boats do but it stops sailing up on the anchor?
Old 05-12-2018, 15:41   #17
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Your saying if I lift the boards and my rudders it will set to the breeze and have no lift under the water to sail up on. I still wont be doing what the other boats do but it stops sailing up on the anchor?

Not 100%, but it should help. The rudder is the important part (boards up, rudder down will make yawing worse).

Also useful in gusty oscillating conditions; the boat can move sideways more easily.
Old 05-12-2018, 15:56   #18

Boat: Sceptre 36

I do not understand the physics involved but some boats "sail" at anchor, some do not. From personal experience a Hunter 41 sails uncomfortably at anchor, a C&C 41 does not. A Hanse 40 was absolutely miserable in a blow on a mooring where a Sceptre 36 was rock steady into the wind. Cannot explain why.
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 16:03   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I have a similar problem, my boat is almost never doing what the other boats are doing and it is a PITA. On a mooring I end up with huge knots that take a swim and 20 minutes to undo + cut up hands (Cid harbour comes to mind). I end up shortening my bridle until the mooring buoy is up out of the water.

I was thinking of the bucket out the back, it might not be big enough.

I put the boards all the way down but this only works sometimes.

There's a mooring in Cid?

Anyway, we lift the rudders and pretty much point at the wind. Certainly would in somewhere like Cid, where there's not much tide.

Places where there's not much wind but lots of tide, might be better with rudders down.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 16:17   #20

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Lift the rudder and keel. No more yawing, no more trouble with tides.
Yeah, on a catamaran where you can raise your boards and pop up your rudders it's quite easy to make the boat point where you want it.

When coming off the beach on beach cats in 15 plus knot winds blowing offshore, we experienced sailors just sat on a hull with feet in the water drinking a prerace beer all "boards" up and backed off with the main sail sheeted in near center and jib flapping while newbies tried to sail off the beach sometimes pitchpoling
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 16:24   #21

On my IP had this problem when anchored at Isla Espiritu Santo. A fellow sailor showed me how to put out the rode...install snubber...then add slack rode behind the snubber till the loop of chain hanging off the snubber drags on the bottom... settled my boat down substantially.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 16:41   #22

Quote:
...Places where there's not much wind but lots of tide, might be better with rudders down.

Could you explain your reasoning? Lifting the rudders makes the CLR move forward, which results in the windage COE being aft of the CLR, which is stable. But that is wind-only.

Why would lowering the rudders help when there is tide? I'm not visualizing this.
Old 05-12-2018, 17:11   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Is your rudder hard over?

It seems that rudder has no effect.
My boat is sailing, from airflow on the hull. Not from the waterflow on the keel, although in heavier current I can see that too.
I theorize that although she is sailing, speed through the water is so slow the rudder has no effectiveness.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 17:14   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
I was thinking of a64, if he uses a long snubber. Chain all the way up to the boat would have more drag on the bottom and the boat would gain momentum more slowly and never fly fwd maybe.

All chain or long snubbed seems to make no difference.
I have recently gone to a long, thin snubber after conversations with Nolex. I have about a 40’ piece of I think 9/16’ line and bring it back to the midships clear and attach it to the chain just shy of the waterline, this leaves it long enough to be stretchy, but keeps it out of the water.
Old 05-12-2018, 17:14   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post
On my IP had this problem when anchored at Isla Espiritu Santo. A fellow sailor showed me how to put out the rode...install snubber...then add slack rode behind the snubber till the loop of chain hanging off the snubber drags on the bottom... settled my boat down substantially.

I do the same. Sometimes there is quite a pile of chain down there!
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 17:16   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sailing at Anchor

I really don’t want to drag all that chain through the mud, but as may give that a try, it’s really only a problem in higher winds like today, gusting to 25 kts.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0517.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	181752
Old 05-12-2018, 17:45   #27

Quote:
Could you explain your reasoning? Lifting the rudders makes the CLR move forward, which results in the windage COE being aft of the CLR, which is stable. But that is wind-only.

Why would lowering the rudders help when there is tide? I'm not visualizing this.
Light wind, strong tide, rudders down makes the boat hang with the tide rather than the wind.

More wind, and rudders up is preferable.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 18:12   #28

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
There's a mooring in Cid?

Anyway, we lift the rudders and pretty much point at the wind. Certainly would in somewhere like Cid, where there's not much tide.

Places where there's not much wind but lots of tide, might be better with rudders down.
No sorry the mooring I was thinking of is at Moreton.

The Cid harbour reference was because I was in the water with bleeding hands thinking about sharks.
Old 05-12-2018, 18:40   #29

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

The physics of sailing at anchor are simple. You have 2 factors:
1. The wind pressure on the above water part of the boat, which will have a center of pressure point.
2. The water resistance on the below the surface part of the hull, which will also have a center of pressure point.

If the center of wind pressure is aft of the center of water resistance the boat will be naturally stable at anchor. A schooner with its center of wind pressure area well aft is a good example.

If the center of wind pressure is forward of the center of water pressure the boat will be inherently unstable at anchor. This describes the typical sloop.

A riding sail is a way to move the center of wind pressure aft.

If you have a bowsprit, anchoring off the sprit by running your spring line thru a block at the end of the sprit can help a lot. It doesn't change the relationship between the wind and water pressure centers but it increases the leverage of the anchor line tension on the hulls pointing direction. It's pretty effective.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 19:05   #30

Quote:
Light wind, strong tide, rudders down makes the boat hang with the tide rather than the wind.

More wind, and rudders up is preferable.

Makes sense. That is what I have observed. Complicated.

Tags
anchor, sail, sailing