Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2011, 10:30   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 54
Bow vs Anchor (Anchor Won)

Lack of communication today led to a "sharp end of Rocna anchor vs. bow" situation and I've put two small holes through the gelcoat and into the fibreglass just below the waterline as can be seen from the following photo:

It obviously needs to be repaired but I would value the advice of those in the know to say if this should be done immediately, within days or at the end of the season (6 weeks). My concern is whether seawater will penetrate further into/through/along the fibreglass the longer this is left in the water, especially with sailing given it is right on the bow and just under the waterline. A close-up of the damage may be of some help:

Can anyone tell me how serious this injury is and how quickly it should be repaired properly - I expect the boat will need to come out of the water (ie. not cheap).

Is there anything smart I can do in the interim? Duct tape is a no go, partly as the area is always wet (apart from when waves lift it out of the water as per the photos) and partly as it's on the antifoul which is very non-stick.

All help appreciated. One final photo for perspective:

Rgds,
Phil
PhilDuhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 10:41   #2

Re: Bow vs. anchor (anchor won)

well, Ill take a shot. That's some thick looking gel coat. You are probably going to grind the area and fill when you repair, so it's probably ok as is for now, or just dab some sealant into it and you'll grind that away. I would avoid silicone though.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 10:47   #3

The water is already in there, yes? So it's too late for dry. The brown we see is fiberglass/and resin, right? Not some core material? So the damage is mostly in fairing compound.

My guess is you can just wait 6 weeks. That's a tiny wound in the bigger scheme of things.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 10:50   #4

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

Always nice to have something recognizable in a picture to give an idea of scale...
If still worried, you can temporarily plug that up with Splash Zone, a two-part epoxy which will set even underwater. The stuff lasts for several months (I wouldn't consider it a permanent repair).

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 11:58   #5

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: Bow vs Anchor (Anchor Won)

If you plan on sailing the rest of the season, I would take a piece contact paper which is vinyl, clear preferably, won't advertise your oops like a piece of colored and put over the hole to keep more water from getting in.
Wash the hull with freshwater to remove salt and dirt, peel the backing off of the vinyl and place over hull with about 3" overlap.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 13:20   #6

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design

www.gougeon.com

Gougeon Brothers, Inc. formulates and manufactures the leading brands of marine epoxy for boat construction and boat repair.
Go to their site and get the info you need.
Old 24-07-2011, 14:38   #7

Boat: Macgregor 22, "Skald"

I was going to suggest a wad of Marine Weld, like JB Weld, and just shove it in there smooth.
smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 14:55   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailstoo View Post
www.gougeon.com

Gougeon Brothers, Inc. formulates and manufactures the leading brands of marine epoxy for boat construction and boat repair.
Go to their site and get the info you need.
+1, Specifically G-Flex
Old 24-07-2011, 15:08   #9

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

If that is bottom paint just sand it away around your "Divits" and use some west or other thickend epoxy, MarineTex is also an option. Plenty of folks have similar looking issues . Don't beat yourself up over it.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 15:23   #10

Thanks for the replies so far - I'm feeling much happier knowing I don't need to race off to the nearest travel-lift and get the boat hauled out for a few days. I was mainly worried that water would work it's way into a larger area of the fibreglass and the eventual repair (in 6 weeks or so) would be a much bigger job but I'll see if I can track down some Splash Zone or G-Flex (but does that set underwater??).

The problem I'll have with a temporary repair is that it has to be made underwater - I'll check out what I can find that will work - if anyone has suggestions they know are available in Europe I'd be grateful!
Old 24-07-2011, 15:25   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Yes G-Flex will work underwater... but obviously better if dry. I blew up the pix... looks like there was a void between the gel and the glass... has probably been wet forever already
Old 24-07-2011, 15:47   #12

Boat: 1988 48' Offshore

Any way to get enough weight in the stern to get the bow out of the water on its own? How did you get the dings above water to take the picture? That's all you'd need to do a repair. Chip out any loose gelcoat and fill with thickened epoxy, after first painting the surface with un-thinned epoxy. Then cover with a sheet of Saran Wrap til it cures. Would probably qualify as a permanent repair considering where the damage is, and how thick the hull is right there.
oldjags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 15:53   #13

Not much chance - I only managed to get the photos as waves were covering/uncovering the damaged area. I actually tried throwing some duct tape over the 2 damaged areas initially but there's not even time for a quick wipe with a towel to dry it before sticking it on so that failed. it's going to be an underwater repair unfortunately...
Old 24-07-2011, 16:01   #14

Boat: PETERSON 44
Try a mooring ball stem tied and pull the transom down. Hope that's glass were seeing. Did you confirm non cored hull. If non cited then goop it with the underwater setting epoxy
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 17:28   #15

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

IMO, this is not a serious ding, and no harm should come from a 6 week delay. Meanwhile,Splash Zone both cures and bonds under water, and some jammed into the owies will seal them up if you are still worried. If no SZ is available, similar results can be obtained from the "epoxy stick" repair kits that surfers use to repair dings to their boards.

And this sort of damage is common in near plumb bowed boats, especially with Rocna/Manson Supreme/Spade type anchors. ASk me how I know...
So, I have made up a bow protector from a flooring vinyl sheet. Stuff is around 5-6 mm thick and fairly flexible. Stuck it on with Sika 291 and some small screws around the perimeter. Looks ok, works well, might help you avoid this in the future!

Cheers,

Jim

Tags
anchor