Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2021, 18:08   #61

Boat: Hunter 38
Re: Sailboat names

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
sorry....can't help myself....the name " Worcestershire" as in the sauce....is spoken as " wooster" in England...please pass the woostersauce......thank you..
I spend some time in England, and could not come to grips with " wooster".....

ok, sorry....when is the " Jini" christening party...
Incorrect. Actually “woostersheer” sauce

And in case you didn’t know it was a actually named by a Cajun!

Thibideaux was visiting London and the bottle of sauce was on the table so he asked

“Hey boy, wasdishhere sauce?” and the die for as cast
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 18:34   #62

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
It's rare that a new owner of a used boat keeps the original name, as that name is likely to have little significance to the new owner
ISTM that this habit of every ownerr changing the boat name is largely a US trait.

We have a lot of short to medium term expats here who buy a boat and sell it a few years later when they "go finish". I've seen many boats go through quite a few owners over the years. It's very rare for a non US buyer to change the name, but common for US buyers.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 18:37   #63

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
Incorrect. Actually “woostersheer” sauce

And in case you didn’t know it was a actually named by a Cajun!

Thibideaux was visiting London and the bottle of sauce was on the table so he asked

“Hey boy, wasdishhere sauce?” and the die for as cast
ROTFL! Good story!

But I was raised in Hampshire (the UK one). It's always been "wooster sauce" to me
Old 05-03-2021, 18:41   #64
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

funny....but true....I spent quite a bit of time in England...loved the place, and the Brits, wonderful nation, but the English dialect changes from county to county...to the point, where " english" as most people know it, can be indecipherable to the outsider.....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 20:49   #65

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
funny....but true....I spent quite a bit of time in England...loved the place, and the Brits, wonderful nation, but the English dialect changes from county to county...to the point, where " english" as most people know it, can be indecipherable to the outsider.....
I can confirm that the city of Worcester, Mass. is pronounced "Wuhstuh", so the sauce has always been "Wuhstuh-sheah"

Massholes have fun with newbies with our mispronunciation of English-looking words like Gloucester [Glawstah], Haverhill [Hayvrill], Quincy [Kwinzee], Peabody [P-b-d], Concord [Kawnkid], Bedford [Bedfudd], Marblehead [Mahbblehit] etc. But this is wanton thread drift.
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 23:52   #66
Marine Service Provider

Getting back to the name...is this going to be a DIY job ???

I had a lot of fun doing the name for my fishing boat. There are many online script companies that do the name in any kind of script, color, shades, etc and also graphic stores.....there is no limit, and it's not that expensive.

You can mess around with their online name template and " create" your own design.

You'll get the name on backing paper, it's a vinyl stick-on, which is simple to apply to your boat, either on the transom or along the sides.

Or.....you can go to Hobby Lobby or someplace like that, they sell rolls of stick-on vinyl in countless shades, pick out a color you like and do your own graphics. Don't limit yourself to just the name, you can design, or have designed, a graphic of your dog, woven into the name or anything you want. One color, two colors, etc.

There is no limit to how you can have this name done.

I doodled around on a piece of paper, several outlines of the same name. I also went online and googled name designs. There is simply no limit to what you can do.

Don't settle for just plain script. Get creative. There is no limit to what you can do. There are also people that specialize in painting names on boats. A bit more expensive off course, but another option.

Because my boat name was going on a fishing boat, I had the profile of a fish woven into the name. It came out really good. I did the fish graphics myself, but the name was done by an online company. The two names and fish graphic cost me about $60 or thereabouts.
Old 06-03-2021, 06:49   #67
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
yes, but there is not one black cultural group or nation in South Africa....there are many....Zulu....Xhosa....etc..etc...and they don't always get along...I think this is becoming a bit of a turf war....PE was known as " iBhayi" by the Xhosa nation that lived in that area...no idea where the Gqeberha name came from....the PE airport is now known as the "Chief Dawid Stuurman" airport...most of this name changing is taking place in the eastern Cape, time will tell...
ok....thread hijack over...Jini it is !!
I’ve read that ‘Gqeberha’ is the Xhosa name for the Baakens River, that flows through the city. Xhosa is the most widely distributed African language, in South Africa, though the most widely spoken African language is Zulu.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:31   #68
Marine Service Provider

its interesting to hear how towns got a particular name...but to change the name of a town after 100's of years makes little sense to me...that it is politically motivated is a given...

but, I see similar issues in the US, sports teams that use Indian names, etc, are under pressure to change....who knows where and when this will all end....

family names handed down is another grey area for me........who the hell wants to be James the fifth....etc.....or a multitude of names.....this is James Paul Mike Rick John Smith, who, in real life, will be forever known as Jimmy...

Don't know how I got on this tangent...still think Jini is a cool name.
Old 06-03-2021, 08:00   #69

Boat: Toes in the surfline and eyes on tomorrow's horizon

I've been perusing the various "locate a boat by name" sites and now have 2 names (1 is a variation on the other) that don't appear to have been used.

No, I'm not telling anyone what they are. At least not until after I use one of them.
Rob_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 09:00   #70

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

[QUOTE=Rob_P;3358304
No, I'm not telling anyone what they are. At least not until after I use one of them. [/QUOTE]

Now I'm dying of curiosity. I sincerely hope you share the one you choose

Quote:
its interesting to hear how towns got a particular name...but to change the name of a town after 100's of years makes little sense to me...

There's a fun little name 18 nm northeast of Boston that's wrong but no one's changing it. Marblehead's 17th-century founders misidentified the rock that forms the cliffs bracketing its excellent natural harbor (pictured below).

They later realized their mistake, but who other than maybe the Flintstones wants to live in "Granitehead?"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7925.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	448.7 KB
ID:	233975   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 11.55.41 AM.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	330.1 KB
ID:	233976  

We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
Old 06-03-2021, 09:12   #71

A spin from Nautilus.

Naughty Lust.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 12:26   #72
Marine Service Provider

During my college years, it was decided to have a sailboat race by the students in our class. The rules were simple, the boat had to be hand made and cost no more than $100.00.

Our class was divided up into teams of 7 students as I recall.

There were some wild creations. Ours was a catamaran design using welded 40 gallon steel drums, salvaged from a junk yard, four for each ama, which were welded together.

We could not arrive at a name, and as the deadline approached to register our craft, we decided to use the first three letters in everybody's name.

Thus the " Rendervillehubhanjee" was born.....I have photo's of it somewhere....I think we came in dead last......alcohol might have had something to do with that....
Old 06-03-2021, 14:47   #73

Boat: Toes in the surfline and eyes on tomorrow's horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
Now I'm dying of curiosity. I sincerely hope you share the one you choose
I have to get a boat first. In the meantime:

An ti ci pay shun. An ti ci pay-a shun...

I have looked and looked and looked and cannot find a boat with either name. What's odd is that it should have been used but, if it has, I can't find it.

That's not to say it couldn't be on the transom of some dink someplace, I just can't find it.
Rob_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 15:14   #74

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
I can confirm that the city of Worcester, Mass. is pronounced "Wuhstuh", so the sauce has always been "Wuhstuh-sheah"

One of those odd coincidences. An hour after reading this, I came across a reference to a town named Wooster in Ohio.
Old 06-03-2021, 15:27   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
One of those odd coincidences. An hour after reading this, I came across a reference to a town named Wooster in Ohio.
Ha! The settlers got tired of remembering that contorted English spelling of it as they moved west, and eventually when they were naming towns out there they just wrote down what they were saying, I'm thinking.

Tags
boat, boat names, sail, sailboat