Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2021, 19:44   #31

Boat: Morgan 44 CC
Re: Sailboat names

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
yep, gotta be able to pronounce and spell the name.....

I remember a South African race boat that was named " Dabulamanzi"...it's a Zulu word for " cleaver of the waters"....cool name, but try spelling that to the Coast Guard....

You gotta pick a name that is easily said, easily understood, and easy to spell...a single name is best....forget about the "Betsy Sue" stuff...and other multi word names....
Actually “dabula” in Zulu means “shoot” and “amanzi” means water, the logical translation would be “shoot through the water”. I remember that boat in Durban, I recall it being a 36ft Miller & Whitworth, quite a successful campaigner.

Another similar Zulu name at that time in the same club was “Shayamoya” which translates to “hit the wind”.

Many years ago when I was new to named boats, a sailing friend said to me to be careful of choosing names that are difficult to phonetically spell and cited a bad choice as being something like “Spirit of Philadelphia”
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 19:45   #32

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Just a little PS, here. I remember, in high school (more years ago than I can conveniently count) we had to read a poem called The Chambered Nautilus.

Now, many years later, having collected both regular and paper nautilus shells (all gone, now, to breakage: the paper ones are very fragile), I googled the poem, and re-read it with the background of so many years' sailing, some in nautilus waters.

Here's a link to it. Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr., never saw a live one. Somehow, it makes me fee very grateful..... It was his imagination, and I've been to those coral reefs. https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poe...bered-nautilus

Ann
Old 04-03-2021, 20:07   #33

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I'm quite fond of Dilligaf
You'd want that one on a speedboat that buzzes kayakers

Or a Moody 42 that blows through a dinghy race
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:04   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Hm... Nautilus is not very imaginative let alone unique in my opinion. But so what?

Since you are talking about an Albin you might think about a name that is common in Scandinavian waters: Örnen (Eagle), or even as rendered in English, particularly in Scottish English: Ern.

Simple, easy to remember, not easily mis-heard or understood on the radio.

TrentePieds

Good name, thanks. Yet if going for a bird name I would rather choose a name of a small, cheerful bird for Albin Ballad. :-)
dokondr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:07   #35

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

What about “Love Me”?

Then your dinghy would be called “Love Me Tender”!
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 03:20   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokondr View Post
Too long for a name :-)
Yes! Imagine trying to spell that to the Coast Guard in phonetics in an emergency....!
(That's always my test)

Nautilus have beautiful shells. Just because Jules Verne took it for a submarine name doesn't mean, in my humble opinion, that you couldn't take it for your sailboat's name. It's a rather cool name, don'cha think?

Since they're native to the South Pacific (I found one on a beach in Vanuatu once), maybe if you name your boat "Nautilus", it means that you will be drawn to travel to the South Pacific!

Warmly,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:07   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

speaking about Dabulamanzi, I've just read where the "new" guv'mint of South Africa wants to rename the town of "Port Elizabeth" on the east coast to "Gqeberha"....I won't even try to pronounce it.......

Speaking of shells, I can't remember the year anymore, but Disney wanted to bring a cruise ship into the Abaco Islands, in the B'mas. To this end, they blasted a new deep water channel adjacent to Great Guana Cay. The spoil from the dredging operation was dumped nearby, forming another island. The locals called it " shell island" as the dredging operation was unearthing a mother lode of shells in pristine condition. To this day, I have some in my shell collection, having had the good fortune to be amongst the first to pick thru' them, but my prize shell is a Large Red Bullmouth Helmet Cameo Conch Shell in pristine condition, and I mean spotless, that I found by pure luck, while diving for some lobster. I've often seen these, but not in the totally spotless condition I have.

I've taken to start painting shells on canvas now as a hobby...shells and marine life...gotta do something while C-19 does it's thing. Havn't tackled a chambered nautilus yet....but it's in line...
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:26   #38
Marine Service Provider

btw....that's a very good poem....excellent !!!
Old 05-03-2021, 07:10   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
speaking about Dabulamanzi, I've just read where the "new" guv'mint of South Africa wants to rename the town of "Port Elizabeth" on the east coast to "Gqeberha"....I won't even try to pronounce it...
Gqeberha: Can you pronounce Port Elizabeth’s new name?
The "Gqe" is a tongue click, "bear" for "be" and adding a guttural "g" before the ha: "Click bear gha."

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:26   #40
Marine Service Provider

that's funny....my efforts to pronounce it would be equally hilarious.......I've always known "Port Elizabeth" to be known as "PE"...Pee-Eee...that's how the locals say it......who dreams this stuff up ??? Seriously ??
Old 05-03-2021, 07:40   #41

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

They can spell or pronounce it any damn way they want, but Napoli, Livorno, Wein, Ateni, Rodos and hundreds of others are spelled and pronounced differently in English than they are in their native language.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:58   #42
Marine Service Provider

South Africa has 11 " official" languages....11.....plus several dialects, no telling where this will go..
Wonder if they'll mess with the name " Cape Town"...also known as "Kaapstad" in the Afrikaans language....
I can see where this headed...

"oy, where are you from ?"
"I'm from QVX125.....y'know, the suburb of XyLapatia, just outside Gqeberha...."
"oh sure..that place...."
Old 05-03-2021, 10:14   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Yes! Imagine trying to spell that to the Coast Guard in phonetics in an emergency....!
(That's always my test)

Nautilus have beautiful shells. Just because Jules Verne took it for a submarine name doesn't mean, in my humble opinion, that you couldn't take it for your sailboat's name. It's a rather cool name, don'cha think?

Since they're native to the South Pacific (I found one on a beach in Vanuatu once), maybe if you name your boat "Nautilus", it means that you will be drawn to travel to the South Pacific!

Warmly,
LittleWing77

Thanks for your inspiration, makes sense! :-)
I am also thinking to name a boat Jini after my dog Jin.
For 12 years I was sailing with Jin on different charter boats. Now, it is three years already, that he is gone and I miss him. My true friend and mate, Jin got his name after one of the fabled genii, a good spirit. Never let me down… When he was alive, out of some superstition I can not explain, I have never published his photos online. Now I can.
Couldn’t find so far Jini boats, which is good. Simple name and easy to put on air: Juliet, India, November, India.
What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jin-at-wheel-small.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	428.5 KB
ID:	233873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jin-on-deck-small.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	430.1 KB
ID:	233874  

dokondr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:53   #44

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokondr View Post
Thanks for your inspiration, makes sense! :-)
I am also thinking to name a boat Jini after my dog Jin.
For 12 years I was sailing with Jin on different charter boats. Now, it is three years already, that he is gone and I miss him. My true friend and mate, Jin got his name after one of the fabled genii, a good spirit. Never let me down… When he was alive, out of some superstition I can not explain, I have never published his photos online. Now I can.
Couldn’t find so far Jini boats, which is good. Simple name and easy to put on air: Juliet, India, November, India.
What do you think?
Fits all my criteria - short, easily spelled, has meaning for you, easy to pronounce by anybody, fits easily on even the smallest boat real estate. What’s not to like?
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:56   #45

The name is nice, it passes the Coast Guard test and it isn't a stupid name with a corny pun. The latter brings severe bad luck to you and everyone abiding your actions.

There are rumours that boats with puns as their name attract jet-ski-hooligans in anchorages, debris in seawater-pumps and cockroaches. And who would like to take that risk?
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, boat names, sail, sailboat