Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2012, 16:51   #1

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Re: Rogue-wave tragedy at the Farallons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral Blue View Post
Perhaps I'm being a bit naive here, but the initial reports indicated the first wave hitting the boat caused a man overboard situation and subsequently caused the boat to turn around to respond and subsequently being hit by a second wave. Assuming initial reports were accurate, wouldn't being tethered in foul weather make the most sense? I'm surprised ASA rules or simply race rules for this particular route don't require this.
Perhaps if you are really serious about saving lives you could propose limits for wind and waves. For example, the race could be called if the winds get up over 15 knots or the waves reach one meter. In this scenario I think experienced racers would be pretty safe.

I think experienced sailors know the risks and can plan accordingly with respect to their personal risk tolerance.

I for one don't need someone making rules for my personal safety. BTW, I am pretty conservative in safety practices on the water. However, that is my choice.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 18:30   #2
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
For example, the race could be called if the winds get up over 15 knots or the waves reach one meter.

That would make racing around the Farrallones almost impossible. Conditions there are almost never that benign. 25 knot winds and 10' swell is pretty standard weather for those waters, actually would almost be considered relatively calm by those who sail those waters a lot. Of course there's many different descriptions of 10' swell. I don't think the conditions were the problem at all. It's often blowing 30 with 4-6' chop inside the Gate, outside can be ugly.
I'm with SenorMechanico, no reason they couldn't set an arbitrary mark to round that would be safer, instead of rewarding those who take the greatest risk.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 19:52   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Perhaps if you are really serious about saving lives you could propose limits for wind and waves. For example, the race could be called if the winds get up over 15 knots or the waves reach one meter. In this scenario I think experienced racers would be pretty safe.

I think experienced sailors know the risks and can plan accordingly with respect to their personal risk tolerance.

I for one don't need someone making rules for my personal safety. BTW, I am pretty conservative in safety practices on the water. However, that is my choice.
Look, ultimately it is the responsibility of the skipper to decide whether to race or not, and/or what course to take.

Here in S. California, we have a situation where if the winds exceed 15 knots, the Coast Guard raises the small craft advisory flag. Yes, there are times when folks should not be sailing in these conditions; however, these are some of the best sailing around. We don't need the government or other committee to dictate sailing. If so, we'd sail to the Santa Monica bell buoy and call it a day.
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 20:04   #4

Boat: Haida 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Don View Post
Look, ultimately it is the responsibility of the skipper to decide whether to race or not, and/or what course to take.

Here in S. California, we have a situation where if the winds exceed 15 knots, the Coast Guard raises the small craft advisory flag. Yes, there are times when folks should not be sailing in these conditions; however, these are some of the best sailing around. We don't need the government or other committee to dictate sailing. If so, we'd sail to the Santa Monica bell buoy and call it a day.
It sseems that off the Oregon coast small crafts start at 25 knots. Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 22:56   #5

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Don View Post
Here in S. California, we have a situation where if the winds exceed 15 knots, the Coast Guard raises the small craft advisory flag.
That's way below the common criteria. Seems the USCG has little confidence with southern California boaters' capabilities.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rogue wave