Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2020, 03:10   #1

Riverside Marina Fort Pierce Fliorida Fraud

Beware of the fraud going on at Riverside Marina Fort Pierce Heritage Marina the owners( Tim Concannon and Sally) are literally taking people's boats. You see a bunch of abandoned boats because they do not put anything in writing then give you sky high bills and then seize your boat since dont want to pay 3 times their estimate. This happens in many marinas and Riverside Marina Fort Pierce fraud is one of them. I had a 32 Hatteras and lost it there Tim quoted verbally 6 k to repower and then charged me 20k sad I put up a video on u tube but dont know if i can post it here that after i paid 20 k for 2 volvos i got screwed
guateman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 03:22   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Riverside Marina Fort Pierce Fliorida Fraud

You think you got screwed for a 20k repower?

You thought a repower would only cost 6k?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 03:29   #3

Agree with Sailmonkey. $6k to repower not one but two engines sounds ridiculous. There's a missing piece to the story. Having a competent mechanic perform regular service on a pair of engines is well over $1000.

Given the OP named the yard and made a serious allegation, suggest it's incumbent on him to be more detailed. He has an affirmative case to build

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 03:36   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
You think you got screwed for a 20k repower?

You thought a repower would only cost 6k?

4 years ago I repowered a 28' sailboat for $1,500. $750 for a used 2QM15 and $750 to a "boatyard guy" which included the crane use.

Boat owners are their own worst enemies when it comes to (over)paying for repairs and whatnot.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 03:39   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
4 years ago I repowered a 28' sailboat for $1,500. $750 for a used 2QM15 and $750 to a "boatyard guy" which included the crane use.

Boat owners are their own worst enemies when it comes to (over)paying for repairs and whatnot.

That’s not the norm....not by a long shot.
Old 12-11-2020, 03:40   #6

I read the OP as having agreed to pay $6K for labor. And $20K for Volvo engines were paid separately. Then he was charged $20K for labor instead of $6K. Correct me if I'm reading it wrong.
Old 12-11-2020, 03:45   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
That’s not the norm....not by a long shot.

Whose fault it is that it's not the norm? I understand when an owner of a brand new $500K boat wants to splurge add'l $$ but that an owner of a $20-50K boat is expected to be fleeced $20-40K for something that can be done for $4-5K, that I will never understand.
Old 12-11-2020, 03:51   #8

Quote:
I read the OP as having agreed to pay $6K for labor. And $20K for Volvo engines were paid separately. Then he was charged $20K for labor instead of $6K. Correct me if I'm reading it wrong.

It’s hard to say, I watched his video.... not really clear there either.

But a 6k estimate is low for a repower, especially if changing brands. Even if swapping like for like, the OPs boat may have been in appalling condition. Oil, bad hoses, falling insulation, failed gears. Who knows
Old 12-11-2020, 04:02   #9

I was basing my numbers on hourly rate of hiring "the boatyard guy" directly, $30-50/hr. Not the full price charged by the yard. I paid at the lower end of the scale but budgeted up to $50/hr.

I get all the ancillary issues (insurance, enviro, liability, etc, etc.) but still think paying triple the value is not necessary if one hires a pro directly. The same pro who will be working on the boat if one hires a full service yard at $100-150/hr.
Old 12-11-2020, 04:08   #10

Quote:
Perhaps. Or was charged $6k for labor but install needed additional parts such as engine mounts, brackets, cables, shaft work, stuffing box, rudder work, cutless bearing hoses, etc. All sorts of stuff that is often done while the engine is out. Maybe parts and labor for that consumed the additional $13k.

The OP alleged fraud. Serious statement. He needs to backup with more info than he's provided.

I had my Perkins pulled, engine room repainted and rewired, then same engine went back in.....in Mexico at $17/hr. Engine remove and reinstall alone was around $1000 plus new motor mounts. Engine comes out pretty fast, getting it back in takes time to do right, including alignment.

Peter Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190221-WA0003.jpeg
Views:	247
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	226775
Old 12-11-2020, 04:15   #11

Quote:
I was basing my numbers on hourly rate of hiring "the boatyard guy" directly, $30-50/hr. Not the full price charged by the yard. I paid at the lower end of the scale but budgeted up to $50/hr.

I get all the ancillary issues (insurance, enviro, liability, etc, etc.) but still think paying triple the value is not necessary if one hires a pro directly. The same pro who will be working on the boat if one hires a full service yard at $100-150/hr.

I’ve been working as an independent mobile mechanic/installer/HVAC tech/blah blah blah since COVID derailed other plans. I can tell you, that someone charging $30-$50 an hour isn’t paying liability, renting shop space, maintaining a vehicle, keeping up with tools, floating materials, medically insuring themselves....etc. $75 is about as low as I can go and still generate an income that makes me want to bother. I should be charging $95-$100 most days.
Old 12-11-2020, 04:27   #12

sorry guys let me be clear

paid 20k cash (*he refused to give me receipt) for two vovlos remanf he only remaned one, 200 hp each

6K was to repower labor only, he kept my two crusaders that came out that ran great too

said he did some shaft work never showed me anything and no had no previous issues, said i had rudder issue one one rudder but again i had been driving the boat fine no issues never quoted me a price, bottom paint .......that was the extra work no way added up to 14k extra

so he charged me 15k + my old engines for labor to install engines
Old 12-11-2020, 04:37   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by guateman9 View Post
sorry guys let me be clear

paid 20k cash (*he refused to give me receipt) for two vovlos remanf he only remaned one, 200 hp each

6K was to repower labor only, he kept my two crusaders that came out that ran great too

so he charged me 15k + my old engines
I'm sorry, but I think you're out of line on this one - fraud is a really strong term that you leveled against a named boatyard. Unless there's more to the story, you're dead wrong - your Crusaders are worth very little except for parts, and that could take years to recoup. "Only one" of the Volvos had been remanufacturered? Do you have any idea how expensive Volvo parts are compared to other brands? Did you really think your gasoline Crusaders had an even-swap value to diesel Volvos?

You got two engines plus two gears plus all the stuff that goes into converting from gas to diesel (including installing running return lines with inlets to fuel tanks, engine mounts, new control cables, adapting wiring harnesses, etc.) installed for $20k. And you wanted it for $6k?

Get out of boating - you have much more heartache to come. There are dozens of owners who would jump at the chance to repower twin gas for diesel for $20k.

I'm sorry to be so harsh, but since you named the boatyard in the subject line (to whom I have no connection, barely even know where Ft Pierce is), I feel it important to issue a stern rebuke for anyone who may find this thread in the future.

Peter
Old 12-11-2020, 04:45   #14

i paid 40k for two engines and repower on a 25k boat
Old 12-11-2020, 05:24   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by guateman9 View Post
i paid 40k for two engines and repower on a 25k boat

That’s your fault, and not at all uncommon.

I’m assuming these are gas Volvo’s (this is in your favor). So, first whammy, change of brand. Means different mounting, different exhaust, etc....

Second whammy. Just because you were operating the boat doesn’t mean it didn’t need shaft and rudder work. I can’t count the number of boat owners I’ve met who treat their boat like a car, drive it until it breaks then bitch about the cost to repair it.

Third whammy, you went in for major surgery without getting a detailed estimate of work to be performed.

Fourth, you don’t seem to have a grasp of the simple economics of owning a boat. There is no reasonable expectation to get a re-power in a cheap boat that doesn’t cost more than the boat. Period. Especially if you’re hiring out the work.

The parts bill alone for the work you’re describing can very well end up above $6k. Hose ain’t cheap, and labor isn’t free. Florida isn’t Guatemala.