Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2020, 16:17   #31

Re: Riverside Marina Fort Pierce Fliorida Fraud

If you can't spell Florida, money is not your problem.
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 17:32   #32

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Best practice when commissioning work is to give a written estimate with a caviat that is additions are discover when work starts that will cost more than 10% over the estimate then the yard will contact the owner before going ahead. I wold be dubious about letting anyone start work without this sort of quote in place. 3 or more times over quoted estimate is unacceptable and may be grounds for challenging the bill in court.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 08:26   #33

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
4 years ago I repowered a 28' sailboat for $1,500. $750 for a used 2QM15 and $750 to a "boatyard guy" which included the crane use.

Boat owners are their own worst enemies when it comes to (over)paying for repairs and whatnot.
OP obviously has twin engine motor vessel. Seems he was installing new engines, two of them, both much bigger than yours, and having the yard to all the work. I would expect $10K for each installation, x 2 total not unreasonable.
Hope he got the $6K quote in writing with enough details.
Old 13-11-2020, 09:41   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

i think I've got to call BS on his entire story-- you give some yard 20k in CASH and dont get a receipt? why would you even give them 20k if the deal was supposed to be for 6k? Too much stuff here doesnt add up- he may or may not have gotten shafted but i tend to lean to a project that got more expensive than planned and he kept saying ok until he got the final bill.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 09:47   #35

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

The two Crusaders had little or no value. You at least didn't have to haul them off.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 11:08   #36

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Whose fault it is that it's not the norm?
How often can one find a competent and honest "yard guy" like you talked about? I could rarely find anyone who would even show up.

My new engine cost 10k$US and another 4k$US for many jobs that included engine installation.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 11:45   #37

This might be a reiteration? I used a yard where the owner was reputed to be an SOB.
The old man was a prince as long as you paid him his due. Defaming this yard sounds similar.
Anyone thinking 6K would be the cost should get out of boating.
The whole price sounds like a deal to me.
Old 13-11-2020, 14:07   #38

Boat: Leopard 39

Just watched the OP's video on YouTube. He said he agreed for the repair at a price of $8-10K dollars and then the final bill turned out to be $16,000. His post on CF claims $6K estimate and $20K final price. Some discrepancy here.

On his video the OP went on to say "Tim refused to give anything in writing saying he was 'extremely cheap' ".

#1: Never agree to a repair without a written estimate.
#2: Beware of anyone who says they are "extremely cheap", especially if you can't get a written estimate.
#3: Every state I've ever lived in had a mechanic's lien law allowing your vehicle (auto, RV, motorcycle) to be held as collateral against the payment of your repair bill. I've assumed this applies to my boat as well. Just common sense.

Without further information it is difficult to judge if fraud was perpetrated. If I were the OP I would be careful about posting videos and claiming fraud without a written agreement backing up the claim. He might expose himself to a libel suit.

Sucks that the guy lost his boat. A bit more due diligence might have saved a bunch of financial loss and heartache.
Nani Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 07:09   #39

Boat: Custom Catamaran

While I’d agree there’s some discrepancies between the OP’s story and YT video, the rest of the story might have a lot of truth around it.

I got quoted £4k/2 weeks for a full grit blast (in and out) through the yard’s preferred vendor, which they (the yard) then undercut by £1k and offered to do the job for £3k with new equipment they’d just bought. Three months later, along with plenty of equipment breakdowns and unexplained stoppages, the yard finished the grit blast and gave me a bill for £13k. Much arguing ensued and IIRC, the final bill came to £4-5k.

This is the same yard who then dropped my next boat (a catamaran) five years later mid haulout, and are known across the UK south coast for shoddy work and shonky deals.

As above, I’m not saying the OP is 100% right or correct in his fraud accusations - instead this sort of BS does happen in the marine industry, and getting written quotes, doing due diligence first, and the old proverb about it being too good to be true must really be taken into account.

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 07:30   #40

Boat: Slickcraft 265

The rate for labor when I was on Long Island's East End was more like $100 to $125 and hour. Skilled labor could be more. If it's supposed to be cheaper here in FL, I haven't seen it.
shemandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 08:47   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by guateman9 View Post
Beware of the fraud going on at Riverside Marina Fort Pierce Heritage Marina the owners( Tim Concannon and Sally) are literally taking people's boats. You see a bunch of abandoned boats because they do not put anything in writing then give you sky high bills and then seize your boat since dont want to pay 3 times their estimate. This happens in many marinas and Riverside Marina Fort Pierce fraud is one of them. I had a 32 Hatteras and lost it there Tim quoted verbally 6 k to repower and then charged me 20k sad I put up a video on u tube but dont know if i can post it here that after i paid 20 k for 2 volvos i got screwed
My suggestion would be to immediately retract your post and apologize.
You really want to be sued on top of it?
Poche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 08:55   #42

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

What was specified in your contract?
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 09:29   #43

Boat: Dickerson Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
I'm sorry, but I think you're out of line on this one - fraud is a really strong term that you leveled against a named boatyard. Unless there's more to the story, you're dead wrong - your Crusaders are worth very little except for parts, and that could take years to recoup. "Only one" of the Volvos had been remanufacturered? Do you have any idea how expensive Volvo parts are compared to other brands? Did you really think your gasoline Crusaders had an even-swap value to diesel Volvos?

You got two engines plus two gears plus all the stuff that goes into converting from gas to diesel (including installing running return lines with inlets to fuel tanks, engine mounts, new control cables, adapting wiring harnesses, etc.) installed for $20k. And you wanted it for $6k?

Get out of boating - you have much more heartache to come. There are dozens of owners who would jump at the chance to repower twin gas for diesel for $20k.

I'm sorry to be so harsh, but since you named the boatyard in the subject line (to whom I have no connection, barely even know where Ft Pierce is), I feel it important to issue a stern rebuke for anyone who may find this thread in the future.

Peter
It was my understanding by the Forum policy, these type of posts were not allowed an usually taken down.
JBsurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 10:10   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBsurfin View Post
It was my understanding by the Forum policy, these type of posts were not allowed an usually taken down.
Take down the truth of the quote or the yard bashing by the OP? In my opinion neither. I'd bet the yard bashing will generate business for them since the 20k seems outrageously cheap.
Old 16-11-2020, 10:48   #45
Marine Service Provider

You can't seize a vessel over a disputed charge, unless the owners of these vessels signed an agreement yielding all their ownership rights in the event of a dispute, and I doubt that's enforceable. Not defending this outfit, I don't know them, but there's more to this story. The marina can place a lien on the vessel, but that's far different than seizure.

Having said that, vessel owners be warned, you should never enter into a time and materials agreement for something as significant as a repower, anything over a few thousand dollars should be a fixed quote, and if the vendor won't agree, consider yourself lucky and go elsewhere. Depending on the state, estimates do have a definition and cannot exceed a given percentage, but you'd rather not find out how that works. Get a fixed price quote, those who do repowers as an example, should have done enough to be able to quote them, and if they can't that too is a warning, they should not be doing yours.

More on quotes here https://stevedmarineconsulting.com/w...Shot127_02.pdf

More on working with the marine industry here https://stevedmarineconsulting.com/c...e-code-part-i/
Steve DAntonio is offline   Reply With Quote