Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2004, 06:52   #1
sjs

Reefing Systems

I am getting rid of the single line reefing on my C270 and replacing it with a simpler more flexible system such as slab or jiffy reefing for the main and a foam luff for the Genny.

Re: the main, I want to place blocks on the boom through which the reefing lines will run down from the reef clew cringles and then forward to cleats I will also put on the boom. I know you want the blocks a bit aft of the clew so it will be pulled out as well as down when reefing, but I don't know how far. Any formula's for this? If not, any advice would be appreciated.

For anyone familiar with this boat, I am wondering if I will really need a winch on the boom to help with reefing. Seems small enough to me (about 160 sq. ft.) I can muscle it and keep things simple.

Also, it seems to me you want the CE moved more to the center as you reef, which happens when you reef a main. However, unlike a cutter or solent rig where the staysail helps move CE center as you reduce sail, furling the Genny, even with a foam luff, would move the headsail CE forward. What is the theory/ effect involved here?
sjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2004, 13:28   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
Muscling a reefing line is all very well if you always reef in plenty of time, but who does? I would strongly advise some form of assistance here even if it is only a jamming block to pass the rope through, then if the sail starts to flog, you have a chance of getting it under control, but a small winch is so little money via ebay that I would always advise adding one.
Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2004, 15:53   #3
sjs

Hello Talbot,

I was on the fence about a winch. I appreciate the suggestion and I think I will go with it. After all, with reefing it is all about being prudent.
sjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2004, 03:02   #4

Boat: Privilege 37
I have just changed to behind mast reefing, and was told by the installer that it was possible to reef and haul out the sail by hand. Yes it is possible, but if there is a strong wind, and you want shape in the sail, or you want to reef, and need to ease the outhaul somewhat, a small winch makes things a lot easier. Just as anchoring can be done by hand, there are a lot of jobs on a boat that can be made a lot easier by the use of relatively inexpensive equipment. After all how easy is it to enjoy your boating if you are laid up with a bad back!
Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2004, 09:14   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 44' CSY "Walkover" cutter, La Nostra
sjs - you're absolutely correct - as you roll up a roller furling headsail you will be moving the CE forward - not to mention gradually spoiling the efficiency of that sail as you change its shape. That's the trade-off you have in order to gain the convenience of roller furling ... and that's one of the biggest reasons I stick with a proper cutter rig
As a friend of mine likes to say, reef early and reef deeply- God promises a safe anchorage, not a comfortable passage.
Located in the Sunny Caribbean
"Life's short ... Eat dessert first!"
harryrezz is offline   Reply With Quote