Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2020, 00:17   #16

Re: Quote Question re sailboat delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
thank you mvweebles, auspicious, merriba, sail sfbay, Douglas L Hal, and mitiempo for your replies.

I did not realize the boarder was still open for commercial skippers - as I thought it was closed for almost everyone and this trip would not be commerical.

It makes sense the price but I was not expecting it to be that high. Live and learn.

I am again doing research and looking into potential buying a boat from Cali to bring home to BC - if I could find one closer to home it would be a different story.
Have you considered shipping? Sevenstar ships from Ensenada to Vancouver. While it would still likely be in the mid-teens from cost perspective, the costs are more predictable.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 02:47   #17

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
I did not realize the boarder was still open for commercial skippers - as I thought it was closed for almost everyone and this trip would not be commerical.

It makes sense the price but I was not expecting it to be that high. Live and learn.
Commercial boats and their skippers are transportation infrastructure. That doesn't mean there won't be hassles at international borders trying to move a small boat.

Most of us only charge for time on the boat. Some charge door to door. There is still a lot of work--planning, crew recruitment, communication, weather--getting ready for a trip. When you add up all the time we usually end up around minimum wage. *grin* Do you know how to make a million dollars delivering boats? Start with two million. *grin*
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 07:15   #18
Marine Service Provider

[QUOTE=Archangel;3136063]Approx how much would it cost to have a sail boat delivered from near Los Angles, California to Vancouver Island, BC, Canada?

Asking for a rough quote for a 43-45 foot sailboat with full keel.

Looking to get rough numbers while the boarders are closed, so hopefully something can happen when the re-open.

I will send you a copy of my contract. That will give you a good idea of the costs involved. Please give me your email address.
Capt. Dave
Old 11-05-2020, 07:31   #19

Boat: Island Trader 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
A good delivery skipper will give you a solid estimate for expenses that includes flights, rental cars, provisions, and odds and ends. Fuel honestly is a crap shoot unless you know you'll be motoring the whole way.

I've been underbid a few times and gotten a call from the owner to take over as the low bidder was running inside (ICW), making short days, and stopping in marinas. The numbers build fast. I can often end up cheaper than a guy charging half my day rate.

I'm sitting at the nav station on delivery now. ICW run from New Bern NC to Solomons MD. We got a slow start yesterday waiting for the fuel dock to open and still made 83 miles with green crew. Owner and son are doing great and learning a lot. Anchored last night (first time for owner), up at first light, and have six miles behind us at 0700. Planning for 80 to 90 miles today, and getting through Norfolk tomorrow evening so we don't have to stop and can just keep going up the Chesapeake. I push into the dark on radar on the ICW but I can't go all night on my own and owner and son are not up for radar nav.

Long story short, for price sensitive owners, day rate may not be what determines total cost.
Auspicious, my name is Andy, Covid has scrambled alot of plans. I purchased an Island Trader41 Ketch last fall. She has been on the hard in providence since Fall2018 with canvas cover in great shape. Navionics, Raytheon , Autopilot. Recent 4cyl yanmar sail less than 5yrs. I am looking to getting to the boat last week of May , recommition and possibly by ready to head south asap. My mission is to go down the east coast around to Mobile and up the Tenn-Tom. My request, would you be able to help me relearn me bring the boat down , early mid june most concerned about hurricane season. In another life Coast Guard motor life boat, I owned and single handed my 57ft schooner out of Salem Mass.This is all happening fast as RI is unexpectedly starting to open marina's. I am relying on info from the helpful previous owner as I am in Chattanooga pulling the trigger on retirement.
Thank you for your time, Andrew Hamilton
Andrew Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 07:33   #20

You might find that trip cheaper by land transport. I wonder?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 07:50   #21

Nope, the logistics at the yard in providence complicate truck access, launch, move to more accessible yard, haul out remove masts. Transport to Chattanooga, launch then try to find a facility to reser masts ( dirty of facilities who even want to touch SV's.
Old 11-05-2020, 07:56   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hamilton View Post
Nope, the logistics at the yard in providence complicate truck access, launch, move to more accessible yard, haul out remove masts. Transport to Chattanooga, launch then try to find a facility to reser masts ( dirty of facilities who even want to touch SV's.
Huh? I thought this boat was going LA to BC?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:05   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Morgan 512 51 feet 6inches

I read this thread with interest. One of the best quotes was this.

HTML Code:
and who also is highly mechanical.  There are tons of Captains out there  that have no idea what to do when something breaks.  You want someone  who can fix things enough to get the boat where it needs to be.

Over the years I have run into a number of boats where the owner/captain knew very little about the boat's systems. I am not so good with things electrical but I can take a diesel engine to bits and rebuild it, no problem. Some years ago I came into the harbour at Sale Cay in the Bahamas and there was 65 foot power boat anchored. Shortly after I dropped the hook the owner came over and complained that one of his engines had quit and he didn't know what to do. I offered to help, went over, diagnosed air in the injector pump, cracked the top of the injectors, got him to turn the engine over till a good spray started, tightened the injectors down and hey presto the engine ran great. They thought I was a genius! I guess he usually got a mechanic to change his filters etc!
newlazydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:12   #24

Nope, I read Auspicious post, east coast and was inquiring about my trip down from providence. A quote?
I would not require help the whole trip, just far enough to get my sea legs, a week or more.
Old 11-05-2020, 08:26   #25

In another life I was a dock master (helped many owners bleed their injectors). I crewed four years on a USCG SAR boat, owned and lived on a 57ft wooden schooner. Master Automoble tech gas and Diesel. Would that help.
Old 11-05-2020, 09:08   #26

As mentioned, my last paid delivery was in 2004. 70% of my deliveries were for Nordhavn owners, mostly new boats headed north to PNW. There were delivery captains with more miles under their keels, certainly with USCG licenses that were were older than mine. Many had many more bar-crossings than I did. And I'm sure many were better mechanics than I am. I know this because they extolled their credentials all the time, often in condescending, ham-fisted ways. Their approach was a bit more "I'm in charge here....unless you want to die or lose your boat, here's how it will be done!!!!"

For better or worse, I viewed my role as the interim COO of a small business with a few employees who's welfare I was legally and morally responsible; one very important customer who had placed a great deal of trust in me; and one very valuable asset that was expected to continue to defy gravity and stay afloat unscathed. Often it was an interstate business, sometimes it was a international business. But there were a ton of logistics and preparations to be arranged. These were complex boats with the latest technology installed. Like Auspicious noted, there's a mindset to freely sharing knowledge with an owner that varies between captains. My approach seemed to work well with many owners, but that was before "Deadliest Catch" became a hit, so perhaps folks expect captains to exhibit tyrannical/authoritarian tendencies these days.

I don't know how I'd vet a captain these days. Stated sea-time has always been a difficult barometer. Even if it is honestly logged, there is no guarantee the person accumulated the days with meaningful responsibilities. Where I live in Florida, the companies that install docks work from small, outboard-powered barges where workers can accumulate hundreds of sea-days just by setting poles and never venture more than a dozen miles from their home dock.

I'm not sure how I'd find a delivery captain if I needed one. I'd ask a trusted broker who's been around for awhile, or perhaps an owners' group of boats that tend to move a bunch. Location is important too - I knew the Pacific Coast extremely well which means the weather patterns and harbors. I was a bit snooty about the Pacific Coast - figured the Atlantic/Gulf was a walk in the park. Boy, was I wrong. Now that I've spent time in Florida (St Pete), the skinny water scares the sh#$ out of me. I'll take the big swells of the deep Pacific any day compared to the east coast (in all fairness, I'm getting better). Point being is one size doesn't fit all.

Good luck to both the OP and Andy on finding the right solution.

Peter
(USCG 100T Master 899414, ret.)
Old 11-05-2020, 09:44   #27

Send a message via AIM to Douglas L Hale Send a message via Yahoo to Douglas L Hale Send a message via Skype™ to Douglas L Hale

Peter the boat is a Jeanneau 54 and yes food is provided. I have no problem letting you know how it went, CHEERS.
Old 11-05-2020, 11:33   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas L Hale View Post
Peter the boat is a Jeanneau 54 and yes food is provided. I have no problem letting you know how it went, CHEERS.
I'm always curious what people eat on deliveries. I used to buy a cheap crock pot and do dump dinners. Hearty and crew could eat whenever they wanted. I was also semi-famous for "Lugger Lasagna." Many of the Nordhavn's of the era had Lugger diesels. I would re-heat foil-wrapped lasagna on the manifold.

Safe travels. Sounds exciting - probably not much sailing, though you may get lucky with some southerlies north of Cape Mendocino.

Peter
Old 11-05-2020, 17:50   #29

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Lots of good input. Only thing I would add is to check your insurance policy. Mine prohibits paid crew. I needed to hire a delivery crew to take the boat from La Rochelle to Portsmouth and had to get the insurance amended. I was in the same boat with other skippers. Most all were in the same boat (pun intended). Cost was $0 to $1100 for the insurance
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 04:49   #30

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzmeyer View Post
Lots of good input. Only thing I would add is to check your insurance policy. Mine prohibits paid crew. I needed to hire a delivery crew to take the boat from La Rochelle to Portsmouth and had to get the insurance amended. I was in the same boat with other skippers. Most all were in the same boat (pun intended). Cost was $0 to $1100 for the insurance
Interesting. I've not run into that clause before. Would you mind sharing who your insurance company is? On delivery, my customers add me as a named insured. There is a codicil but no cost. Often they want to see my resume, but again, no additional cost.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, delivery, sail, sailboat