Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2023, 18:44   #31

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Photosensitive Prescription Glasses

I just recently rejected photo-sensitive glass, made of actual glass. I hated them as they took 20 minutes to go back to clear. I have plastic lenses with photo tint and they change back within a few minutes. Either way the darker the lenses turn the more difficult it is to see clear colors. I keep what we call cheaters from the pharmacy. Clear all the time...maybe try those.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 04:33   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Yeah, I buy cheaters by the pound. Unfortunately my Wife needs prescription glasses.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 05:07   #33

Boat: Island Packet 40

I am under the impression that Raymarine chartplotters are capable of providing off-course alarms. Don't know if that's within your budget or not, but considering the possible consequences of straying off course if might be a wise investment.

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 19:25   #34

Location: House in Evergreen, CO; boat in Bremerton, Washington
Boat: Morris 44 Ocean Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crothers View Post
I would also suggest that you review your route ahead of time and mark with waypoints the issues along that route such as reefs or obstructions.

I find waypoints standout and don't scale down. We have a setting that puts the waypoint name on the chart so you can quickly see the nature of the danger that is included in the waypoint name. Example WP359 Shallow Reef to the West.
Let me piggy-back on this point.
I would review the route on the paper chart--clearly identifying where you are and where you want to go. Draw your route on the chart and talk about your turning points, hazards, shipping lanes, strategy for the day, etc.

Then I would draw the route on plain paper, writing only the pertinent info on the track, like you're in a beginning nav class. Note the magnetic heading (approx) for leg 1, 2, 3, and the amount of time you expect to be on that leg. That's your quick reference cheat sheet. Play to her strengths.

On the plotter, use waypoints that go around hazards, so you don't have to leave a waypoint to starboard. She's looking at the waypoint and forgetting the bit about avoiding it.

She may also have problems going from 'up' on the chartplotter and north on the chart, and that's where the cheat sheet might help. And I would not use a phone for navigation; it's just too small.
Not a spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 05:34   #35

Boat: Najad 373

My experience of light-sensitive on tri-focal was good until I realised they have a significant drawback: they aren’t as dark as real sunglasses which wears on my (quite sensitive) eyes and at night they take approx 20% if the light. This never really dark enough nor light enough. So I switched to fit-over clips on my normal trifocals. Works much better. Someone mentioned about the type that can be lifted up, quite convenient indeed.
The polarisation is in my experience not to 90 degrees and a small angle should be sufficient but it indeed depends on the equipment.
Shadowed screen (under dodger for instance) is easier.
Quebramar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
photo