Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2020, 10:34   #16

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged
Re: Panama to San Francisco offshore non stop route

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Jon thanks for the 80s story.

In this day and age w/much better DEA surveillance, you may not want to run another "load" on this trip. Hate to see your new to you boat up on auction.
Bill, I doubt Jon will be doing that this time as Cannabis is legal in California now. I think the DEA would be much more interested in a load of Cocaine.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 10:39   #17

Boat: Contessa 32

Quote:
Probably should start your own thread, but consider doing legs on the Gulf ICW. In the long run, could cost less and have more adventure even if you only moved your boat a few days on each leg.
Thank you
I realized I should not have tagged on here about the time I pushed the go button. Sorry
Engaged the button before engaging the brain.
n5ama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:02   #18

Boat: Endurance 35,

Every year is different but in 2001 when we made the Panama to Victoria B.C. trip we stayed on the coast the whole way as the winds alowed us to sail or motor sail on a direct coarse and sleep at anchor most nights. Sailing SW just didn't feel right. Frends who did the offshore clipper route had no wind and had to get water and fuel from a freighter. They arrived in San Diego the same time as us, tired and fed up with sailing while we had an enjoyable time cruising Central America and Mexico.
Nanamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:09   #19

Boat: Beneteau First 42

For a discussion of the clipper route from Panama/Mexico to SF, see the discussion by "Still Searching" in the June 2002 "Changes in Latitude" here
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:22   #20

Quote:
Jon thanks for the 80s story.

In this day and age w/much better DEA surveillance, you may not want to run another "load" on this trip. Hate to see your new to you boat up on auction.
no motive cannabis is legal in CA
jonbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:39   #21

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbuilder View Post
Can you direct me to any description of Andy's route or description of his sail
I have ordered World Cruising Routes by Jimmy Cornell waiting on delivery. I will order a current copy of Ocean Passages of the World

Boat 10 meters, time 28 days.

I hope the images are readable. No good light here inside the boat.

The background is Pub 107. Mind the dates of departure and the hurricanes.

I can tun the route and its alternatives on a weather simulator but I need boat data and departure time for this.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 13:07   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
For a discussion of the clipper route from Panama/Mexico to SF, see the discussion by "Still Searching" in the June 2002 "Changes in Latitude" here
Shorter route and leaving from Puerto Vallarta Still Searching's captain did not have the calm contrary winds encounter sailing out of the Gulf of Panama. Seems the captain did the common tactic of not staying on the south west tack until far enough out. Turning north too early when sailing from the Gulf of Panama could have frustrating consequences. The clipper ship captains had to stay the course, they did not have engines to pull their ships out of calms.
Old 02-09-2020, 13:24   #23

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Boat 10 meters, time 28 days.

I hope the images are readable. No good light here inside the boat.

The background is Pub 107. Mind the dates of departure and the hurricanes.

I can tun the route and its alternatives on a weather simulator but I need boat data and departure time for this.

b.

And here the images, off course :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stage 1.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	369.6 KB
ID:	222574   Click image for larger version

Name:	stage_2.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	372.6 KB
ID:	222575  

barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 13:47   #24
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
That is what I have heard 6 to 8 weeks need to sail north from Hawaii
I don't know anyone who has needed more than about 30 days Honolulu to the West Coast. Go due North for 1,000KM out of Honolulu on starboard tack then tack over and you will hit the coast somewhere.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 14:43   #25

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
I am looking at buying a morris in Maryland and sail it to San Francisco via Panama.
once through Panama seeking the best non stop route
planning on passing through Panama canal March 2021
Had a quick look at my well-thumbed Cornell since I have not sailed in this part of the ocean. He recommends Panama-Hawaii, Hawaii-California. First part is March to May or November (hurricanes in between). Second part is March-May or September-October so it looks like March-May is it. Distance is something over 7000 nm depending on routes chosen, there are different waypoints for each route possible. Looks doable with 90 days to do something like 7300 nm, so an early start and no long holdups in Panama and not too long a stop in Hawaii which is a bit of shame.
Old 02-09-2020, 15:08   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5ama View Post
I am anticipating the purchase of a CD 25D in Ft Myers, FL. The move would be to the Galveston, TX area (+-800mi by land). If I sail the trip, I would obviously wait until the hurricane threat eases a bit, but would like to look into the trucking option.

I don't know how to locate potential trucking services. I'm assuming they provide the trailer but do they also rig the fit on the trailer once the boat is hauled out of the water or is that done by the marina people? Does the shipper provide insurance? What other bear traps should I be aware of?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Tom
Contact the trucking company for specifics on their process. They will provide you with all the details of boat preparation, timing, and the bid and contract terms. Lot's of companies to chose from. Best to find one that originates from near where your boat will be hauled out for transport so as to not incur a lengthy dead head cost to get to your boat. Google, call and email.

https://www.google.com/search?q=boat...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Or narrow the browser search to "Boat Transport Trucking Companies" and add in the State or City where it will be hauled from.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 18:51   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
And here the images, off course :
These are the routes I saw in the 1973 Ocean passages You images are clean thanks
Old 02-09-2020, 18:57   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
I don't know anyone who has needed more than about 30 days Honolulu to the West Coast. Go due North for 1,000KM out of Honolulu on starboard tack then tack over and you will hit the coast somewhere.
6 to 8 weeks from the Gulf of Panama to San Francisco Bay with no layover in Honolulu The phrase time is money originated on the seas Fast passages made more money
Old 08-09-2020, 09:56   #29

I have negotiated the purchase so now getting more serious. I would like any suggestions of sailing time from Annapolis MD to Puerto Rico non stop offshore route. I am trying to determine time need from Maryland to San Francisco
Old 08-09-2020, 15:43   #30

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

The easy answer. It is about 1400 miles from Annapolis to Puerto Rico so divide by your estimated daily rate. For a lot of folks about nine days. You need to leave sometime between November 1 and March 1 assuming a delivery, instead of a cruising schedule, in order to be out of the Pacific hurricane season that starts May 15 (lots of boats still head north in June.) It gets cold up North so I assume you will want to leave around November 1. Leaving the Chesapeake you will likely get wind from any direction. You should try to get as far east as Puerto Rico before heading south. When you get to the Caribbean that time of the year the wind is going to be NE to E so getting East early is important to avoid going to weather. If this is a delivery I would question why you are going to Puerto Rico unless it is a Covid restricted entrance issue. The two common delivery routes are either West of Cuba or between Cuba and Haiti. Puerto Rico is four hundred miles further East and gets you no closer to Panama. We had our plan to do a similar trip this year, but we finally just sold our boat in Annapolis rather than bring it to San Diego. Uncertainty of ability to clear in or out places made it too difficult to plan. Good luck.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
offshore, Panama, route, san francisco