Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2020, 05:55   #1

Panama to San Francisco offshore non stop route

I am looking at buying a morris in Maryland and sail it to San Francisco via Panama.
once through Panama seeking the best non stop route
planning on passing through Panama canal March 2021
jonbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:03   #2

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Re: Panama to San Francisco offshore non stop route

Would be a great trip, but did you look into trucking it for comparative cost?
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:11   #3

Boat: Pearson 367

Web Chiles finished his last circumnavigation in San Diego aboard a Moore 24. He said the non stop leg from Panama to SD was the hardest, most miserable sailing he'd ever done. Granted the Moore is a ULDB. You're against wind and current almost the whole way. The easier way is to go to Hawaii, get north of the Pacific high then head to SF.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:24   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
Web Chiles finished his last circumnavigation in San Diego aboard a Moore 24. He said the non stop leg from Panama to SD was the hardest, most miserable sailing he'd ever done. Granted the Moore is a ULDB. You're against wind and current almost the whole way. The easier way is to go to Hawaii, get north of the Pacific high then head to SF.
That is what I have heard 6 to 8 weeks need to sail north from Hawaii
Old 01-09-2020, 09:34   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Would be a great trip, but did you look into trucking it for comparative cost?
I trucked a Block Island 40 from Maryland to San Francisco 2017. I took a cheap trucker's bid had issues $10k plus about $5k decommission loading recommission and launching fees. I did as much of the work as I could myself taking things apart, packing for trucking, reassemble and re-rigging. I am getting trucking bids now,my guess being a little larger boat $13K to $14K.
Loading and re launching about the same $5K
Old 01-09-2020, 09:40   #6

The same company that trucked my Block Island 40 in 2017 for $10 just quoted me $27K to truck making sailing looking like the better option
Old 01-09-2020, 09:58   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

Andy Urbanczyk sailed it far offshore to a good result. I think he sailed something like a 2x the actual miles but came up with a very decent passage time.

As noted read recent Webb Chiles blog on the mistakes and challenges he had there.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 17:35   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Andy Urbanczyk sailed it far offshore to a good result. I think he sailed something like a 2x the actual miles but came up with a very decent passage time.

As noted read recent Webb Chiles blog on the mistakes and challenges he had there.

b.
Can you direct me to any description of Andy's route or description of his sail
I have ordered World Cruising Routes by Jimmy Cornell waiting on delivery. I will order a current copy of Ocean Passages of the World
Old 01-09-2020, 18:37   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbuilder View Post
I trucked a Block Island 40 from Maryland to San Francisco 2017. I took a cheap trucker's bid had issues $10k plus about $5k decommission loading recommission and launching fees. I did as much of the work as I could myself taking things apart, packing for trucking, reassemble and re-rigging. I am getting trucking bids now,my guess being a little larger boat $13K to $14K.
Loading and re launching about the same $5K
Trucked my 42 ft boat from Annapolis to SF in July and your guess is about right. Wide range of bids, and got stiffed by one trucking firm the day before they were scheduled to pick up the boat and was lucky that another firm had a cancellation that same week.
jimp1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 06:40   #10

I got the following course from a 1973 edition of Ocean Passages for the World
Feb thru May form the Gulf of Panama head SW to South west south passing the equator between the Galapagos and Ecuador than head west to 105W than NW to 20N 120W and into San Francisco as wind allow.
The point 3S 105W where the course turns NW is the same course as the return route, I took in 1980 from a beach on the west coast of Columbia bound to San Francisco loaded with cannabis. Head south form San Francisco we parallel the coast about 20 miles offshore to Costa Rica where we laid up until word gave the cargo was ready to be picked up. This is the only long ocean passage I have made. I had a 55 foot wooden Alden centerboard my first boat purchased for the run.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:42   #11

Boat: Contessa 32

I am anticipating the purchase of a CD 25D in Ft Myers, FL. The move would be to the Galveston, TX area (+-800mi by land). If I sail the trip, I would obviously wait until the hurricane threat eases a bit, but would like to look into the trucking option.

I don't know how to locate potential trucking services. I'm assuming they provide the trailer but do they also rig the fit on the trailer once the boat is hauled out of the water or is that done by the marina people? Does the shipper provide insurance? What other bear traps should I be aware of?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Tom
n5ama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 09:45   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbuilder View Post
I got the following course from a 1973 edition of Ocean Passages for the World
Feb thru May form the Gulf of Panama head SW to South west south passing the equator between the Galapagos and Ecuador than head west to 105W than NW to 20N 120W and into San Francisco as wind allow.
The point 3S 105W where the course turns NW is the same course as the return route, I took in 1980 from a beach on the west coast of Columbia bound to San Francisco loaded with cannabis. Head south form San Francisco we parallel the coast about 20 miles offshore to Costa Rica where we laid up until word gave the cargo was ready to be picked up. This is the only long ocean passage I have made. I had a 55 foot wooden Alden centerboard my first boat purchased for the run.

Jon thanks for the 80s story.

In this day and age w/much better DEA surveillance, you may not want to run another "load" on this trip. Hate to see your new to you boat up on auction.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:49   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5ama View Post
I am anticipating the purchase of a CD 25D in Ft Myers, FL. The move would be to the Galveston, TX area (+-800mi by land). If I sail the trip, I would obviously wait until the hurricane threat eases a bit, but would like to look into the trucking option.

I don't know how to locate potential trucking services. I'm assuming they provide the trailer but do they also rig the fit on the trailer once the boat is hauled out of the water or is that done by the marina people? Does the shipper provide insurance? What other bear traps should I be aware of?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Tom

Probably should start your own thread, but consider doing legs on the Gulf ICW. In the long run, could cost less and have more adventure even if you only moved your boat a few days on each leg.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:59   #14

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

The offshore route does not make sense for SF as destination unless you have a brigantine with no motor. For more modern rigs, offshore makes some sense for PNW as destination, not so much for SF.

Read Jimmy Cornell is my advice. Route PN22 and 22B

If not in a hurry you could enjoy the Pacific coast of Central America and especially Mexico.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:30   #15

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

The great circle route to Hawaii from Panama takes you within 200 miles of Cabo San Lucas. The March/April winds from Panama to Cabo are generally light NNE predominantly, but fairly variable. The course is WNW which means you really don't have a bash until you reach Cabo. If you are sailing within 200 miles of Cabo, and then continue another 2,500 miles to Hawaii and 2,800 miles from Hawaii to San Francisco in order to avoid the bash, good on you. The bash sucks. Done it three times, but the trip from Hawaii to San Francisco doesn't look that much fun to me.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
offshore, Panama, route, san francisco