Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2021, 11:09   #1

Boat: C&C 30
Packing list for a week long boat charter?

I'm going on a one week trip in the Carribean on a chartered boat. I was wondering if any of you had a packing list of items to bring - in addition to the usual summer vacation stuff. So far, I have the following items on my list:

Personal Locator Beacon
Spare hand held radio
life jackets
First aid kit
Small set of tools for emergencies
USB battery bank (to keep phone/navionics charged).
Emoyeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 15:11   #2

Boat: Other people's boats
Re: Packing list for a week long boat charter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoyeni View Post
I'm going on a one week trip in the Carribean on a chartered boat. I was wondering if any of you had a packing list of items to bring - in addition to the usual summer vacation stuff.
Haven't chartered in the Caribbean, but what I like to have in my bag is some variation of:
  • handheld VHF & charger
  • PFD with re-arming kit
  • gloves (sailing)
  • gloves (heavier PVC for slime lines, etc)
  • headlamp
  • multitool
  • binoculars
  • horn (by Acme, a recent addition)
  • small first aid kit
  • heavy-duty space blanket
  • powerbrick & charging cables
  • cigarette lighter charger with multiple USB ports
  • painters tape and permanent marker
  • notepad
  • nav kit (see below)
  • repair kit (see below)

The nav kit would consist of:
  • hand compass
  • small dividers
  • pens, pencils, lead, eraser
  • sticky arrow flags and dots (for chart markup)
  • plotting triangles
  • lead line

The repair kit consists of:
  • sail tape
  • seizing wire
  • rigging tape
  • a few clevis and cotter pins
  • spare shackles (hard and soft)
  • zip ties
  • hose clamps
  • a few lengths of 5mm cord (e.g. 5', 15', 30')

Except for the plotting triangles, with careful repackaging you should be able to fit the nav and repair kits into a very small space (perhaps the size of a large pastry donut for the repair kit and a sunglasses case for the nav kit). I'm also probably forgetting a few things, for example I forgot to list a tether, and that's usually in my bag.

I also expect that on a charter vacation you should be able to easily radio the base for assistance, and thus don't need a more serious kit. You'll probably have no need to break open much of what's here either. People who have done the vacation charters can likely advise better.

The notepad and painters tape is multi-purpose; I like to have paper by the radio, and you can use the tape to label anything important, put checklists on a bulkhead, etc. With multiple people, competition for charging parts may be a thing. If you have an iPhone and the other end of the cable is USB-C, don't expect the boat to have a USB-C outlet. Similarly, don't rely on the AC outlets working.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 15:14   #3

Quote:
life jackets
Check first whether you can bring life-jackets on an air-plane. We had problems with the CO2 cartridges in the past.

I wouldn't bother with most of the other stuff except the power-bank for a regular swim & sundowner cruising. I'd bring those things only when racing or doing longer passages. The tools I'd limit to a Leatherman multitool.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 16:59   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Pack few clothes and lots of money and/or Credit cards. Your going for a a 1week vacation in a tourist location. Yeah, fun to bring all the superfluous tools/toys but for 1 week you'd not really utilize them.

*A dry bag
*A sharp knife ( because good cutlery is lacking on any charter boat)
*Hand held gps might prove useful
*Your own snorkle and mask (if you love them and cant tolerare rental)
* A little LED water proof flashlight is handy
* A deck of cards, a domino set, a set of dice for onboard games ( and always gift those things upon depadture)
* And perhaps a portable water proof speaker to stream your favorite music aboard
* some paracord to drop the flashlight off the stern at night and enjoy watching sea life under the boat
* A lighter. Sometimes hard to find matches or lighter to light the grill.
* Depending on your destination; chocolate, pencils, pens, notebooks, fishing gear, etc. To leave for locals and/or their children.

And for convince, i always packed bandaids, antibacterial ointment, an ace bandage, anti- diarrhea pills, asperin, etc. Just a small ziplock bag.

Everything else can be puchased at your destination including shampoo, reefsafe sunblock, food to cook aboard and beverages. It's 1 week. You are not going to starve or have to overcome great feats of boat maintenance as though you were remotely cruising. I understand wanting to be prepared. But it's 1 week in a tourist destination. You won't t be required to be a scout. Just take things to enhance your enjoyment, it won't turn into survival mode unless you hit a reef, and even then reefs are in shallow water.

If we knew your destination it would help with more specific recommendations. But for 1 week I wouldn't sweat it too much.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 18:10   #5

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
Haven't chartered in the Caribbean, but what I like to have in my bag is some variation of:
  • handheld VHF & charger
  • PFD with re-arming kit
  • gloves (sailing)
  • gloves (heavier PVC for slime lines, etc)
  • headlamp
  • multitool
  • binoculars
  • horn (by Acme, a recent addition)
  • small first aid kit
  • heavy-duty space blanket
  • powerbrick & charging cables
  • cigarette lighter charger with multiple USB ports
  • painters tape and permanent marker
  • notepad
  • nav kit (see below)
  • repair kit (see below)

The nav kit would consist of:
  • hand compass
  • small dividers
  • pens, pencils, lead, eraser
  • sticky arrow flags and dots (for chart markup)
  • plotting triangles
  • lead line

The repair kit consists of:
  • sail tape
  • seizing wire
  • rigging tape
  • a few clevis and cotter pins
  • spare shackles (hard and soft)
  • zip ties
  • hose clamps
  • a few lengths of 5mm cord (e.g. 5', 15', 30')

Except for the plotting triangles, with careful repackaging you should be able to fit the nav and repair kits into a very small space (perhaps the size of a large pastry donut for the repair kit and a sunglasses case for the nav kit). I'm also probably forgetting a few things, for example I forgot to list a tether, and that's usually in my bag.

I also expect that on a charter vacation you should be able to easily radio the base for assistance, and thus don't need a more serious kit. You'll probably have no need to break open much of what's here either. People who have done the vacation charters can likely advise better.

The notepad and painters tape is multi-purpose; I like to have paper by the radio, and you can use the tape to label anything important, put checklists on a bulkhead, etc. With multiple people, competition for charging parts may be a thing. If you have an iPhone and the other end of the cable is USB-C, don't expect the boat to have a USB-C outlet. Similarly, don't rely on the AC outlets working.
^ I love this list. Here are a few more things.

1) Refills for that rearming kit on the PFD. [checking as Joh Ghurt said whether you can take those on a plane]

2) Tether you can clip on to PFD.

3) Floating spotlight (I use that thing everywhere; you may not be planning to be out there at dark, but they come in handy in port as well)

4) Paracord (for handy quick securing of things, jury-rigging stuff that breaks; every time I'm on a boat for more than a few days I end up using it)

5) extra sail ties (unless of course you have in mast furling or a stack pack.)

6) A tiny can of WD 40 (squeaky wheel gets the grease)

7) extra glasses for when you drop yours overboard or sit on them

8) dry bag for documents

I cruise mostly in cold, wet places where nothing dries, so I always have extra weather gear">foul weather gear, but you may not need that.
You may also not need clothes pins.
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 00:29   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
Pack few clothes and lots of money and/or Credit cards. Your going for a a 1week vacation in a tourist location. Yeah, fun to bring all the superfluous tools/toys but for 1 week you'd not really utilize them.

*A dry bag
*A sharp knife ( because good cutlery is lacking on any charter boat)
*Hand held gps might prove useful
*Your own snorkle and mask (if you love them and cant tolerare rental)
* A little LED water proof flashlight is handy
* A deck of cards, a domino set, a set of dice for onboard games ( and always gift those things upon depadture)
* And perhaps a portable water proof speaker to stream your favorite music aboard
* some paracord to drop the flashlight off the stern at night and enjoy watching sea life under the boat
* A lighter. Sometimes hard to find matches or lighter to light the grill.
* Depending on your destination; chocolate, pencils, pens, notebooks, fishing gear, etc. To leave for locals and/or their children.

And for convince, i always packed bandaids, antibacterial ointment, an ace bandage, anti- diarrhea pills, asperin, etc. Just a small ziplock bag.
That list makes a lot more sense than bringing your own dividers for chart-work.

Add to the list a few clothespegs if you don't want to get them locally.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 03:53   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Packing list for a week long boat charter?

Damn... Its a 1 week holiday, you guys take more on a charter than I take to a Transat yacht delivery.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 04:44   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Damn... Its a 1 week holiday, you guys take more on a charter than I take to a Transat yacht delivery.
+1 Boatie has spoken!

Gadagirl has a good list.

Emoyeni, if you're going to the BVIs, the charter companies provide an onboard chart and the nav is DAYtime, line-of-sight navigation that is like a bus route based on the prevailng winds. The charter company will do a chalk-talk the first day of your charter to give you (or whomever will be acting as captain) an overview of the sailing area before you leave the dock.

The VHF is hard-wired into all the Moorings and Sunsail boats. You might have use of a handheld in the dinghy, but the distances are so small, if you get into difficulties in a dinghy, initially you could just row - but if you can't get the dinghy engine restarted, that'll be a call to the base office and they'll bring out another engine.

All Charter bases have a workboat and provide fix-it assistance. What comes to mind are two instances as Charter Skipper. As we came into Virgin Gorda, the genny fouled or ripped - can't remember exactly. I called base office as soon as we were on a mooring and while the family went snorkling and to see the shark tank at the hotel (which is no longer there, as I understand it), a couple of base staff came out with a new genny and I went up the mast and we switched it out in about 20 minutes. Another time it was a failed (house) water pump. Again, I called the base office, they dropped a new one off and I switched it out while the guests were snorkling/ exploring.

Of course, I was a paid Charter Skipper, but as a charterer, the base office will take care of anything that goes wrong with the boat while you enjoy your holiday.

Mind, these were only two incidents over more than 5 years, so it doesn't happen that often. Moorings/Sunsail does a check on turnover so the boat a charterer gets is in good shape - specifically to avoid holiday interruptions.
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 04:52   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Packing list for a week long boat charter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
+1 Boatie has spoken..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 06:19   #10

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

Depending on your DIY level what I have found most useful is a voltmeter and a few good lengths or wire. I normally bring like 50' of 18 gauge, and 50' of 12 gauge and some electrical tape. Any cheap wire is fine. You don't need marine wire as its use would be temporary so not expensive if you are having to purchase it.

Maybe its my bad luck but on every charter I have done I have experienced some electrical issue that was easily solved with the above, but a real challenge without. Of course you can rely on the charter company to fix things but I don't mind "fixing" and would prefer not to lose 1/2 a day plus or be otherwise inconvenienced on my vacation.

As far as tools go I don't bring much else. All of the charters I have done the boats/charter companies have tools and spares. My advice is to make sure you go through the tools and spares and ask the charter person you are working with to supply anything you don't find or don't find in working order. You need to actually work the pliers, ratchet handles, etc. You don't want to need it and then figure out it is rusted and inoperatable. Spotlights will be provided by the charter company. But...Turn it on during the check out and leave it on for a while if its a rechargeable one. I have had a few that would turn on but not stay on for any length of time because the battery was end of life. Don't leave the dock until you are satisfied with your tools and spares.

Again assuming you comfort level as a DIYer, I would definitely make sure you have a spare water pump impeller for the main engine and generator if equipped. I have had to change them on 3 charters. Again a relatively easy thing to change vs. the down time taken from your vacation to have the charter company deal with it.

We don't spend lots of time in crowded places or go to dinners out at restaurants much. And none where that require anything nicer than boat clothes. If you are the type that generally will be hanging out on the boat, a few hikes, lots of swimming then you will use less clothes than you think.

Be flexible in your itinerary and don't over plan you trip. Slow down and enjoy.

Hope you have a great charter.

Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:03   #11

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

half of what you have packed. We always take too much junk with us.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 11:10   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
I'm going on a one week trip in the Carribean on a chartered boat. I was wondering if any of you had a packing list of items to bring - in addition to the usual summer vacation stuff. So far, I have the following items on my list:

Personal Locator Beacon
Spare hand held radio
life jackets
First aid kit
Small set of tools for emergencies
USB battery bank (to keep phone/navionics charged).
I thought you said charter. A tooth brush, razor (0ptional ) & clean skivvies.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 12:16   #13

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I always wanted to show up at a boat with a hardshell wheeled suitcase.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 13:24   #14

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Hah! Yes, I am working to reduce the volume of stuff. For example, I wouldn't pack my large NaviTote roll, when really almost all I have practical use for can fit in a small pencil case. Much of that is also multi-use: pens, pencils, and Sharpie are pretty basic. The repair items just about fit into a ziploc sandwich bag (cord and zipties can be wrapped around the outside). Many of those are there in part because a need for them did arise at some point, and I like having some ability to address problems that may appear.

I do think that, like LittleWing77 mentioned, you 99% of the time you can step aboard with no kit at all and be just fine. After all, you can usually motor if there's a rigging issue, sail if there's an engine problem, and phone the company for anything else.

Re: voltmeter, belts, or impeller, for me they are in the category of "let the charter company handle it". (Although, I might carry one if it was this size (heck, it even gives you an oscilloscope), or even their pen model just for fun.) I'd hope a spare impeller, belt, engine fluids, etc. would be on the boat, but I wouldn't be surprised if the charter companies preferred clients didn't attempt even basic fixes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	repair-kit.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	253.7 KB
ID:	247979  
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 07:56   #15

Boat: Leopard 45

Check with your charter company before you go overpacking. Most of them will already have on board your charter boat all the items listed as well as most of those suggested by others.
Jim
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, charter