Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2021, 16:44   #76
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Orcas have destroyed our rudder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudu View Post
50 years ago I was presented with a speargun powerhead in exchange for a thesis in speargun dynamics. It fits on the end of the spear and can use a decent size (I seem to remember it was a 303) cartridge. Used for killing aggressive sharks. You could load a blank cartridge, and I am sure that would send a clear message to the orcas that they should find another game to play.
Or.. seeing as they're reportedly the youngsters it could provoke the adults into a real attack.
If the adults are as big as the ones I encountered mid Atlantic then you really have problems.. the leader had a 6ft dorsal and was bigger than my Beneteau..and there were at least 10 of them.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 11-08-2021, 22:49   #77

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.
Re: Orcas have destroyed our rudder

I have posted before on marine mammal behavior and bioacoustics in an effort to bring some science into this discussion. The role of long line fishermen attacking orcas for taking hooked fish was also discussed as well as the opinion of experts in the field who have examined this reported behavior.

If one carefully examines the boat photos, the condition of the propeller is interesting. Looking further toward the bow, there is a bulge at the keel to hull joint. Quite large a bulge.

My manatee crew, professional boatbuilders, think the orcas were trying to end a manifestly unsafe voyage of a vessel which they felt the keel might drop off at any moment. They tried to get the crew to examine the rudder which was clearly delaminating by itself. The manatees believe all the photos show is an old boat with a keel problem, a dirty prop and a rudder which is coming apart by itself.
Interesting it’s the same delivery skipper.
So do these owners file a claim on their insurance as a way to get a new rudder...keel...prop ? Does the delivery crew get extra pay?
Nah..that would be free advertising and a scam.
Just get out the harpoons.
Wait a minute, Ahab died and the boat sunk and only one man survived.
Guess harpoons don’t work all the time.
Get out the manatee pizza bazooka and feed those orcas.
The manatee crew.
Old 12-08-2021, 00:30   #78
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
I have a master's in orca behaviours so feel I can speak with a sense of reality
masters are a pain. I have a master in endemic austrian mudpoodle mosqitos and who the f. cares about it? An who has to pay for those unneeded people?

If something destroys my habit I fight back. Naturally and that easy.
And it is common sense of a rotten communitiy to say "Does not matter the insurance shall pay"

Insurance are all payers. Though the community has to pay it. No, every single partitiant of the community has to avoid payments.

As I said rotten.
Old 12-08-2021, 00:44   #79

Boat: Amel 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteTheDeliverySkipper View Post
One of our yacht delivery skippers talks through the recent incident with orcas. At the end of the film you can see the damage done to the rudder. Amazing that they managed to get back to a safe harbour without needing a tow!

Pete
Hi,
Boat looks as Amel, 54?
There were also other rudders destroyed on Amel 50 . I do not know statistics but maybe it has something to do with antifouling or area boats come from?
Old 12-08-2021, 01:43   #80
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

As I said. Try to hurt them with a small trident and hopefully they will give up in future.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:29   #81

Boat: Trlåren 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post
As I said. Try to hurt them with a small trident and hopefully they will give up in future.

Yes. These are highly intelligent animals. They learn quite well very quickly.

Someone who claimed to have scientific training stated that the orcas attacking boat rudders is likely just fun and games for them. This is the most plausible explanation to me. The talk of retaliation for millennia of abuse of their home is more self-loathing that is so prevalent in today's western world. If they were really retaliating for past offenses, I'm sure we'd see a greater variety of misdeeds by the cetaceous social justice warriors (small boats?, swimmers?, etc.) and not just boat rudders. Bored adolescents nipping at the humans' water transport caudal fin sounds a much much more likely scenario.

A couple of seal bombs might fit the bill for a small trident. I have a hard time seeing the whales staying around to chew on a rudder if it means getting a splitting ear ache. Methinks they'd exit post haste after one or two seal bombs tossed to them and think twice about the next boat.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:10   #82
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nord Sal View Post
Yes. These are highly intelligent animals. They learn quite well very quickly.

Someone who claimed to have scientific training stated that the orcas attacking boat rudders is likely just fun and games for them. This is the most plausible explanation to me. The talk of retaliation for millennia of abuse of their home is more self-loathing that is so prevalent in today's western world. If they were really retaliating for past offenses, I'm sure we'd see a greater variety of misdeeds by the cetaceous social justice warriors (small boats?, swimmers?, etc.) and not just boat rudders. Bored adolescents nipping at the humans' water transport caudal fin sounds a much much more likely scenario.

A couple of seal bombs might fit the bill for a small trident. I have a hard time seeing the whales staying around to chew on a rudder if it means getting a splitting ear ache. Methinks they'd exit post haste after one or two seal bombs tossed to them and think twice about the next boat.
So your advocating that instead of the extreme of harpooning them and the resulting outrage that would provoke, people should seal bomb them instead resulting in damaged autistic receptors, possible navigation impediments resulting in difficulty finding food and more beaching's of whale pods (are seal bombs the cause of increased beaching's???). Its been proven that seal bombs are only a temporary solution as the sea lions etc return shortly after the explosions with some even ignoring them unless very, very close.
Just follow the Spanish rule of staying over 9nm offshore instead of cutting in close to the Tuna runs and all should be well.. I have traversed the Strait along with Galician and Portuguese waters many times over the years with no problems from the occasional Orca I have seen, sure they've swum under the boat for a nose but that's it.

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:25   #83

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

The orcas are suffering because of food shortages caused by humans. It is a sliver of justice they managed to destroy the rudder. This guy was "motoring" anyway: he is a "smoker"

I am on side of orcas and hoping they destroy many more rudders: but that isn't enough. Lets hope they start sinking boats and eating the crew soon.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:07   #84

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by seandepagnier View Post
The orcas are suffering because of food shortages caused by humans. It is a sliver of justice they managed to destroy the rudder. This guy was "motoring" anyway: he is a "smoker"

I am on side of orcas and hoping they destroy many more rudders: but that isn't enough. Lets hope they start sinking boats and eating the crew soon.
and when finished with the spnyards they swim over to the US and teach all your orcas to do the same. End of boating.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:17   #85
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seandepagnier View Post
I am on the side of the Orca's as well but.. sinking boats and killing crews is kinda extreme.
Forget the seal bombs and harpoons as well, just learn to respect the fact their right to be in the water is greater than our right to be on it.. we can live on land or water, they only have a single habitat.
Mind you.. when one looks at mankind's effect on the populations of land mammals I am not hopeful.

Old 12-08-2021, 11:09   #86

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post
masters are a pain. I have a master in endemic austrian mudpoodle mosqitos and who the f. cares about it? An who has to pay for those unneeded people?

If something destroys my habit I fight back. Naturally and that easy.
And it is common sense of a rotten communitiy to say "Does not matter the insurance shall pay"

Insurance are all payers. Though the community has to pay it. No, every single partitiant of the community has to avoid payments.

As I said rotten.
Thankfully I have no interest in being baited by your nonsense , and prove this by your rant , as a person lacking significant intelligence and IQ to warrant a scientific discussion,. But then you portray the signs of over generated testronone , and a re adjustment to your levels and actual intelligence isin order , as orcas being part of the dolphin family live in the sea which is a completely different habitat to humans ,

One would think with your intelligence and obviously intelligence you would know this , but also in most coastal limits you will find they are a protected species. Therefore the chances of transient orcas interfering with any ocean going boat is extremely slim, in fact no reports have ever come to light.
So rain in your nonsense and create a world for your grandchildren to enjoy ,
Old 12-08-2021, 11:58   #87

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Terrible attitude.

Luckily your not in charge off the coast of Spain

No beautiful endangered animals killed , a few yottie types inconvenienced in a minor way.

Sounds bout right to me.
I am not in favor of harming the Orcas either.

But these responses are made with blinders on.

Yes, we can stay out of their area. For now. No harm done.

But maybe we need to think about a possible scenario where this activity becomes widespread. Then what? I doubt that humans will concede use of the ocean to marine mammals.
Old 12-08-2021, 12:02   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
Therefore the chances of transient orcas interfering with any ocean going boat is extremely slim, in fact no reports have ever come to light.
Transient or not. I count 34 reported incidents in July 2021.
https://www.orcaiberica.org/last-interactions

The Wolf is a rare and protected species here, but if certain individuals start to create problems they are shot before they teach their offspring bad habbits.

I guess the same will happen here sooner or later. The only question is:
Will they kill 3 Orcas and stop this now, or will they wait until the Orcas teach other pods how tasty a rudder is.
Old 12-08-2021, 12:03   #89

BTW: Reminds me of the book "the swarm"
Old 12-08-2021, 14:56   #90

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I am not in favor of harming the Orcas either.

But these responses are made with blinders on.

Yes, we can stay out of their area. For now. No harm done.

But maybe we need to think about a possible scenario where this activity becomes widespread. Then what? I doubt that humans will concede use of the ocean to marine mammals.

Then unfortunately we’ll do what we always do, kill everything that inconveniences us
Closed Thread

Tags
rudder