Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2021, 16:00   #91

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Orcas have destroyed our rudder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
This is an interesting point: Is it "our" ocean too? Or do the Orcas own it?

And how would we assert our right to it?

I don't think we have actually thought about a potential conflict between sea mammals and humans.

Land animals, like bears, we trap them and relocate them, or kill them. Have we thought about the same issue with sea mammals? Mostly we just protect them. But one can imagine a point where it gets out of hand.

Some of you think it is a joke, or hope the Orcas just grow up and stop. And animal rights folks say, 'its their ocean, we people should just give up using boats". Neither answer seems reasonable to me.
We collectively have chosen how to act on this subject...if not entirely thought it out. We slaughtered whales to near extinction, same for seals in some places, and we are harvesting many fisheries to the brink of collapse.

Not only only does the human race think of it as OUR ocean, but that includes everything living in too!

We also conduct (present tense) underwater explosives etc testing which does lots of harm to cetaceans in particular.

We dump OUR trash and pollutants into OUR oceans too.

The position of the human race on this subject made very clear by our actions.
Old 12-08-2021, 16:38   #92

Boat: Boatless but working on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
We collectively have chosen how to act on this subject...if not entirely thought it out. We slaughtered whales to near extinction, same for seals in some places, and we are harvesting many fisheries to the brink of collapse.

Not only only does the human race think of it as OUR ocean, but that includes everything living in too!

We also conduct (present tense) underwater explosives etc testing which does lots of harm to cetaceans in particular.

It is clear as a bell.
Old 12-08-2021, 18:03   #93

Boat: Beneteau 40 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post

Through billions of years of evolution, we emerged as the dominant species. We moved to the top of the food chain, conquered every vicious beast large and small that used to ravage our ancestors, learned to hunt and eat every animal we could see, learned to cultivate the plants too. We adapted to live in every climate and square inch of land, then built things to master the seas and air too. Now space. It is OUR planet and every other animal lives only through our benevolence. Granted if we wiped out all the other animals or keep polluting, we’d die too given we need to eat them, but make no mistake about it, it’s OUR planet.

With that said, I love orcas, paid good money to see them in Alaska, in Sea World, etc etc. want them here forever, but when they start attacking our boats and this is a critical system they’re attacking, a rudder post through the boat will sink it faster than you can think, they crossed the line and that’s not tolerable.
Old 12-08-2021, 20:47   #94

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

So again by your logic you have twice said if something inconveniences us we have the right to kill it
Have I misunderstood your comments?
Old 12-08-2021, 20:51   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
So again by your logic you have twice said if something inconveniences us we have the right to kill it
Have I misunderstood your comments?
If an animal attacks us or property we have a right to defend ourselves or our property.
Old 12-08-2021, 21:47   #96

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Networker View Post
[...]but when they start attacking our boats and this is a critical system they’re attacking, a rudder post through the boat will sink it faster than you can think, they crossed the line and that’s not tolerable.
If only you would understand how ridiculous that sounds... "they crossed the line"...

https://www.timantra.net
Old 12-08-2021, 21:51   #97

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzcruiser View Post
If only you would understand how ridiculous that sounds... "they crossed the line"...

Mate, no matter how hard you try you can never explain to someone that can't see the forrest because all the trees are in the way.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Old 12-08-2021, 22:25   #98

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Its not your "right", it is unlawful.
And what are you actually defending, your "property"? Proven that humans are not on the menu.

If you want to aspire to an higher order (dubious) then use your more evolved brain to try and repulse the animal without harm. Small price to pay to pay for feel good.

As far as I know Orcas don't hunt their own kind, so who has the moral high ground? Besides, as you said, they are magnificent. (in the wild)
How would you with your highly evolved brain like to be caged.

Marine biologists should use their studies on Orca to come up with diversionary tactics. Little doubt that interaction with humans going about their greedy ways has precipitated this.
Old 13-08-2021, 11:20   #99

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I am not in favor of harming the Orcas either.

But these responses are made with blinders on.

Yes, we can stay out of their area. For now. No harm done.

But maybe we need to think about a possible scenario where this activity becomes widespread. Then what? I doubt that humans will concede use of the ocean to marine mammals.
From what I understand, there are coastal pods and pelagic pods. This sounds like a coastal pod and it's their home. I doubt it will be a would wide problem. Give them a wide berth or have a SS rudder.
Old 13-08-2021, 11:31   #100
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Orcas have destroyed our rudder

Quote:
If an animal attacks us or property we have a right to defend ourselves or our property.
So.. from what I understand from your posts , Orca's are wonderful in Sea World but bad in their natural habitat and.. because they have damaged rudders they should be destroyed.
Working on your logic I should be sinking, petrol bombing every power vessel that comes near me after having been rammed three times with potentially lethal consequences, once at anchor and twice under sail by vessels under power..
Hows that grab ya..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 13-08-2021, 11:40   #101

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Is this still going on , if you hit a whale d we kill them all, if out camping in the wilderness and a bear comes along do we kill them all. If we get bitten by a mosquito d we eradicate them all , get a grip on the kill. Harpoon , destroy restrict , mainly from our cousins from across the pond with stars in their flags,. One wonders when school l kids die in your school's you do not ban handguns, yet when encounters with a wild species in the WILD with no injuries , reported to the authorities , apart from dented white stale middle to reitired old men .you all cry for a cull.
Move on and let the millennium children save the planet you have all screwed
Rein in you penis sizes and calm down ,
Orcas are the world's most populated mammal by Square area and there has been in hundreds of years a hand full of known attacks on humans and these are disputed so if your beloved boat does not want to encounter this pod AVOID THE AREA
And there are four know subspecies of orca and these are known as resident pods as they tend to stay in that specific region so unless they have Twitter or Facebook they will not be passing on their skills at rudder eating to any other pod. So keep calm everyone and get a grip of one's emotions,
Please note that a certain amount of these stories comes from a British delivery companies encounters and has their name plastered over the last two years reporting these so called encounters
Seems business is good , and with 31 so called encounters there is very little good video of these encounters captured or for any lenght of time , strange in a world of YouTubers, camera phones etc
Perhaps the orcas were camera shy
Sometimes I wonder if people are just not researching properly or are getting more grey cells in Thier brain
I m blunt for a reason as I do not have a loud hailer and a big stick
Old 13-08-2021, 11:52   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
So.. from what I understand from your posts , Orca's are wonderful in Sea World but bad in their natural habitat and.. because they have damaged rudders they should be destroyed.
Working on your logic I should be sinking, petrol bombing every power vessel that comes near me after having been rammed three times with potentially lethal consequences, once at anchor and twice under sail by vessels under power..
Hows that grab ya..
You keep asking the same question, answer isn’t going to change. If attacked, doesn’t matter if it’s a mosquito, dog, killer whale or human ramming your boat, you have s right to defend yourself.
Old 13-08-2021, 11:58   #103
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Orcas have destroyed our rudder

Quote:
You keep asking the same question, answer isn’t going to change. If attacked, doesn’t matter if it’s a mosquito, dog, killer whale or human ramming your boat, you have s right to defend yourself.

Tell that to the law that comes after you..
Rights are a figment of your imagination.
Not including the squished mozzie..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 13-08-2021, 12:05   #104

Boat: Boatless but working on it

Quote:
Through billions of years of evolution, we emerged as the dominant species. We moved to the top of the food chain, conquered every vicious beast large and small that used to ravage our ancestors, learned to hunt and eat every animal we could see, learned to cultivate the plants too. We adapted to live in every climate and square inch of land, then built things to master the seas and air too. Now space. It is OUR planet and every other animal lives only through our benevolence. Granted if we wiped out all the other animals or keep polluting, we’d die too given we need to eat them, but make no mistake about it, it’s OUR planet.

With that said, I love orcas, paid good money to see them in Alaska, in Sea World, etc etc. want them here forever, but when they start attacking our boats and this is a critical system they’re attacking, a rudder post through the boat will sink it faster than you can think, they crossed the line and that’s not tolerable.
This has to be a troll? You love the orcas in SeaWorld?

What do you mean if?
It is certainly not our planet. We share it with many other species. Some humans think it is our planet alone and they lead the charge to completely destroy it, for us and all the other inhabitants.
We dont NEED to eat them, certainly not whale. We do not need to eat any of them. We choose to eat them but more and more are choosing not to eat any.

Your post has to be a joke………please say it is.
Old 13-08-2021, 13:45   #105

Boat: Fun&sporty Cat but looking for the one....

Simplest problem solver!

Apparently, and Im telling you as Im reading it, a Portuguese sailor from Madeira Marc Herminio has just fended off 2 Orca attacks with the simplest solution...

1- Sails down immediately
2- Start engine
3- Put boat in reverse 2/3knots
4- Have a drink and wait 15 mins

Propeller protects the ruder, the orcas go away!

Done, no more issues, no shooting, no guns, bombs, no defending your property, no pissing of wildlife lovers and all the other nonsense this tread is wondering towards.

So please spread the word and enjoy your life, Fair winds
A4
Closed Thread

Tags
rudder