Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2021, 08:11   #31

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore
Re: No MSD bringing boat in to US waters

Now we just have to figure out how to stop those darn turtles, crabs, lobsters, clams, fish, shrimp, seagulls, whales, and porpoises from pooping in the nice clean water.
Old 29-10-2021, 09:06   #32
Marine Service Provider

Some have suggested, I close and tie wrap the through hulls, and carry a cheap port a potty for entry.

That's the best suggestion IMO.

As for the PuraSan EX...it's an excellent choice! However, you'll also need at least a small (10-15 gal) holding tank too because there are a few NDZs (no discharge zones) in US coastal waters where you won't be able to flush treated waste. Herring Bay, a small harbor off the Chesapeake Bay is one. North Carolina's coastal waters are another and almost all water north of the Chesapeake. And well meaning but misguided marinas who believe they're "doing the right thing" by requiring vessels to hold while in their waters.

Raritan's "Hold 'n Treat" system combines the treatment device with a holding tank, but the price is about twice that of the PuraSan alone...there are less expensive ways to do it. You're welcome to contact me directly (PM) f you'd like to pursue that further.

(Fwiw, I don't sell anything, I just share my knowledge and offer advice and recommendations.)

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 09:24   #33

I installed a Lectra-San in our forward head prior to bringing our Moody 425 into the USA waters. Later installed a 25 gallon flexible holding tank in the aft head. We were good for most areas except for No Discharge Zones where we had to secure both heads. In these area we carried and used WAG Bags.

https://www.amazon.com/Anywhere-Ligh...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Brilliant425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 14:23   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Now we just have to figure out how to stop those darn turtles, crabs, lobsters, clams, fish, shrimp, seagulls, whales, and porpoises from pooping in the nice clean water.
Yeah, and keep those deer and foxes and raccoons from pooping in my neighborhood. But of course just because they poop in the ditch in front of my house certainly wouldn't excuse all the humans in the neighborhood if they did the same thing.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 16:04   #35

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeywoodJ View Post
Straight from the USCG:
There's no definition of a "flow through" system though, and I've wondered about that.

My boat has a holding tank and there's no way not to pump the poop there. But there's a macerator and overboard discharge. To operate it I have to open two valves and hold down a button. I'm assuming that's not a "flow through" system.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, water