Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2020, 04:42   #1

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Newbie boat launch

Hi,
I am pretty new to sailing and have bought a Westerly Centaur to learn on (Snowgoose 35 in my info isn’t floating anytime soon!). Boat is on the hard and launch booked for early April. Never having done this before I asked the yard how it works and the conversation goes:

Me: Do I need to be there?
Yard: No, most owners aren’t.
Me: So do you climb aboard and check seacocks etc for leaks?
Yard: No, you should have checked that before launch!

A bit taken aback by this I didn’t really know what to say but am definitely going to be there for the launch now! Surely it’s not standards practice for boatyards to just lob boats in the water and do nothing but shrug if they start to sink?

I have checked seacocks are all free and hose clamps are tight but not really sure what else I should be doing. All insight appreciated, thanks
Pugcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 04:50   #2

Boat: Mirage 35
Re: Newbie boat launch

My winter storage place offers to do haul-out and launch, winterizing and spring prep, without the owner present.

Based on my experience with other services they are extremely competent, and I know many owners let them do it. (And when launching, they're the ones who remind me to go below and check for leaks, etc. before they consider the job done.)

But, I just can't bring myself to let them do it without me there. I want to see what happens, have the chance to check everything myself, and so on. So, without necessarily having a good reason, I'm with your approach.
Old 05-03-2020, 04:55   #3

Boat: Mirage 35

And, in answer to your actual question, (need more coffee ...) the only other thing that springs to mind as immediately essential to check is cooling water flow. Others will no doubt have more suggestions.
Old 05-03-2020, 05:56   #4

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

Of course you should be there! Why would you not, unless you’re a thousand miles away, and that can’t be anywhere in England?
There are bound to be caveats in the boatyard agreement, saying they are not responsible for anything!

How will they move it out of the slings, start the engine? Where will they put the boat, and will it be secure?
If you don’t supervise it yourself, you will only have yourself to blame.
Old 05-03-2020, 06:05   #5

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugcat View Post
Hi,
I am pretty new to sailing and have bought a Westerly Centaur to learn on (Snowgoose 35 in my info isn’t floating anytime soon!). Boat is on the hard and launch booked for early April. Never having done this before I asked the yard how it works and the conversation goes:

Me: Do I need to be there?
Yard: No, most owners aren’t.
Me: So do you climb aboard and check seacocks etc for leaks?
Yard: No, you should have checked that before launch!

A bit taken aback by this I didn’t really know what to say but am definitely going to be there for the launch now! Surely it’s not standards practice for boatyards to just lob boats in the water and do nothing but shrug if they start to sink?

I have checked seacocks are all free and hose clamps are tight but not really sure what else I should be doing. All insight appreciated, thanks
Yep, my yard just lobs them in and ties them off. (but i'm sure they'd check it out before hand for a fee)

I'm sure they keep an eye on them though as they wouldn't want a sunken boat blocking the dock by the lift.

You say the seacocks are all free. How are the hoses? Old hoses are more likely to fail first rather than the seacocks

First time my boat was put in I was there and stayed for hours checking things. If memory serves (this was almost 9 years ago), I spent the night on it and checked things all night every time woke up as I had moved it out in the bay and was at anchor

My boat had been on the hard for 5 years .....
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:18   #6

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Thanks for the tip about hoses, just found a good section in Don Casey’s This Old Boat on how to inspect so will have a proper look.
Thanks all for your replies
Pugcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat