Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2016, 09:27   #16

Re: New guy, first sailboat, first trip will be from Dana point to King harbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcrash View Post
I own a home out near Palm Springs but work a rotating shift job in Torrance. So I've had a studio in Redondo that runs 1050$. I'm only sleeping on the boat 7 nights a month and my slip is 350$. If it was my only home I'd be getting a bigger boat.
I see, that is good saving!!
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 09:34   #17

Boat: Catalina 387

Third towing insurance (Boat US around here - it's vessel assist). You'll need liability (and proof of it) for your berth in King Harbor.

If you don't know, there's two anchorages in Dana Point - west end by the tall ships, and east end between the bait barge and the channel.

Fuel dock guys are great - make sure you're clear on the fact it's a gasoline motor - they'll think sailboat == diesel. Also find your fuel vent (on the transom on a C27 IIRC) and hold a rag over it if you're filling to the top. Many catalinas leak a little fuel out the vent before the pump kicks off.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 09:35   #18

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Oh yeah, Peter and Bruce are definitely right. I forgot about the towing. I have a BoatUS membership and it came in handy last year when I was helping deliver a boat up from Wilmington. The engine started heating up and by the time we were off Malibu at 3am it hit the red even at 1000 rpm. It was absolutely dead calm so we couldn't sail over to Paradise Cove. The owner didn't have the BoatUS membership but since I did I called them up and about an hour and a half later a very cheerful guy showed up and happily towed us the rest of the way. Since we were within the 35 mile radius there was no additional charge for me.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 09:41   #19

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

It's a short trip, or a very long trip depending on what breaks.

I had a boat in Redondo Beach for 10 years, then Newport Beach for another 8 so I know your route. On a new boat as a newbie sailor, before I even backed out of the slip, I would sign up with Vessel Assist or other local on the water tow service.

Other than that... I would take a few days and make a mini cruise out of it. Newport, Island White, Cabrillo behind the breakwater and then around Palos Verdes to Redondo. Get a cooler, get a bucket, and have a blast!

Congrats on your new baby. Have fun and good luck!
SV Sailfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 10:19   #20

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Very little to add, so just emphasis!
1. It is a real slog, even this short of a trip.
2. You should allow two days (with possible stops), but fine in one if you start early and things go well.
3. At least try to raise the sails (both) before you actually leave. They can be lowered again. Check you battery and nav lights too.
4.Safety musts: a/USCG equipment. b/ Handheld VHF with spare battery(ies). c/Chart(s). d/ Run blower at least five minutes before starting engine (I assume Atomic 4 on a Catalina is gas). e/Good to make sure fuel tank is near full at departure, and have five gallon jerry can as a back up since you do not know your mpg (usually less on the up hill). Plenty of water/soda pop/coffee, and enough prepare food for planned meal(s) and snacks. Does the toilet work, and is it legal.
5. Just as an added note of caution: Long ago friends and I were making our way from L.A. to Marina del Rey. It was a clear moonlight night, and we were almost run down by a freighter roaring out of L.A. on its way north. We were already hugging the cosast, but dodged in time by heading toward the rocky shore where we hoped the freighter did not want to be.
6. I am only slightly envious because I can only remember my first "long" solo trip. Have fun and enjoy you trip!!!
Old 24-05-2016, 10:46   #21

Boat: Nauticat 32

Congratulations! A German engineer sounds about the best possible choice for a person to take care of your boat until you start sailing with it yourself. If everything that you can see looks good, maybe also all the rest is fine.

> Any hints on making the boat comfortable for overnighting?

Can't tell. Different people have very different requirements on what luxury items they need. You will soon know what more you want to have. If you can't find anything soon, maybe you don't need anything more. I need some acceptable temperature, a bed with clean sheets, some food, and an internet connection.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 11:05   #22

I was always dreaming about nice interior with separate head and shower room. But always ended up racer/cruiser type sailboats.
Simple inside but very comfortable enjoy staying in there!!
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 11:30   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcrash View Post
As you walk into the boat the tally is off the right.
Hmm I don't remember the layout with the galley on the right (starboard) side, I thought it was on the port side. (I could be boat dyslexic too though.) But they made two thousand of them so I am sure I haven't seen them all. Does it have the dinette (fixed table) set-up or the table that folds down from the bulkhead? Each layout has its own advantages as a liveaboard, but you'll probably be sleeping in the v-berth in the bow. BTW there is an odd thread on here that went on forever concerning whether or not to sleep head first in the v-berth. With the dinette version, with the table down, you'll have a good sized double berth in case the bow is too cramped, but it takes up the main salon of course.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 24-05-2016, 13:34   #24

Boat: Catalina 387

I think they're all galley port. Some with a straight inline style galley, some with a little U galley (like the 30). I think some had a quarterberth - maybe that's inboard vs outboard or something.

They made over 6600 of them. Mr Butler may not be renown as a yacht designer, but there sure is a lot of Butler designs out there floating around.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 13:44   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbluetj View Post
They made over 6600 of them.
Boy was I off!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 24-05-2016, 13:55   #26

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

2xcrash, congratulations on the boat and the deal. Don't let the comments above scare you. In decent weather this is a nice and safe trip. I agree that for a first trip a stop overnight might be a good idea if your schedule allows. And if your schedule doesn't allow it remember that the most dangerous thing on a boat is a schedule. So even if you decide to plan on pushing straight through, decide on some "plan B" stops in case of mechanical or weather issues.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 15:44   #27

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

So the one thing we've not heard from the OP is about how well found she is in the navigational side of things.
If you have an iPad then loading it with Navionics would be my suggestion. Either primary or as backup it's a great application for your coastal move.
I also like the 2 day schedule and if possible some experienced sailing crew. Take your time. Get to know the boat.
We assume that you'll not just be using it as a floating bunkhouse with what you said about Catalina so perhaps also find a local ASA course to attend at least for 101.
Great deal and yes as said you can't beat a German engineer for a previous owner. Like you I purchased my Irwin 38 from an aging couple... or should I say... I stole it. They were motivated and I offered an all cash deal. I'm happy and they sold their boat.
Old 24-05-2016, 16:59   #28

Congrats on the new boat. I agree with what everyone has said so far. Here are a few suggestions of things I would do. I would make sure you have a good PFD for you and one for any crew coming with you. I would make sure you have at least a couple of flares. I would check and make sure the running lights are working. Because you are traveling at night and crossing the ship channel at Long Beach I would have some sort of RTE Radar Target Enhancer (radar reflector) hoisted up high. Also because you are traveling at night I would get a good battery powered waterproof spot light. You might want to invest in a waterproof hand held VHF radio. These are only suggestions, as I tend to error on the side of safety first. Good luck and have a safe voyage.
noylddot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 19:03   #29

Boat: Pacific Seacraft, Dana, 24
Send a message via ICQ to EveningTide

When I bought my boat my first ocean passage was from Dana Point to King Harbor. Left at 5 AM, arrived at 3 PM. No wind until 11 AM, a little rough going toward Pt. Fermin but lighter wind once around Pt. Vincente. I had tested the boat for a few days near Dana Point before going just to be sure the boat and I were ready and reliable. It was no problem. Just be sure your motor will run for many hours without overheating and know your fuel usage rate.
EveningTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 20:44   #30

Boat: C30 Catalina

Thanks everyone for the great ideas.
1. I won't be doing this alone. A friend of mine has experience making this trip sailing
2. I got insurance and will get tow coverage
3. Raised and lowered the sails and everything works great.
4. I can't keep the boat in Dana since the slip wasn't transferable and I don't have the time off to take a couple days on the trip. We will be leaving early enough to cross the LA harbor in the light and my friend has a slip in King Harbor and has come in in the dark
5. Galley is on port side
6 friend has hand held gps and I have downloaded I sailor on my phone.

Today my wife and a coworker of hers came to look at the boat. The guy helping the sale took us all out for a couple hours. It couldn't have been more perfect! Before we left the harbor we had sea lions and Dolphins jumping out of the water. Wife loves it so if all goes well this year with this boat I'm sure it'll be easier talking her into a bigger boat!!!!
BTW to boat moved along like a dream. You can let go of the tiller and she'll keep straight, not that I'll make a habit of that.
2xcrash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dana point, sail, sailboat